• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT v VT mid afternoon in 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Hi all

At the end of October I will be leaving the shores of this country and need to get Heathrow for a night-time flight. I'm looking at my best options to get down there, obviously I'd want to leave a couple of hours spare, so I'm looking at a 1630 arrival in London, at the latest. It's a long haul flight and do not want to risk missing it. I will be carrying a suitcase.

I'm really not too bothered about cost as I will pay up to £40 with my railcard for 1st. Wi-fi, more room, peace and quiet are definitely worth paying for. I've never travelled with VT in first, but have with EMT and really enjoyed it. I'm erring on the side of going with EMT as you can order food, and because I've been in 1st with them before and loved it. Is it worth going with VT or am I best sticking with EMT?

Ta,

Tom

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
You get a sandwich and free drinks with Virgin for free if you are content with that, but EMT tend to do better quality food (chargeable) I agree.

Drinks-wise Virgin give alcoholic and soft drinks away for free, on EMT only tea/coffee/water/juice. Coke, etc, are payable.

If the prices are similar I would say Virgin has the slight upper hand.

Chapeltom

Established Member
The alcoholic drinks won't bother me too much, I like a drink but in this circumstance, tea and coffee will be fine. I'll go with whichever is cheaper when I book it.

And thanks, Telstarbox. I can see this being my final UK rail journey for a very long time! I think it could end up being permanent.

Last edited:

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Space wise it would depend on the stock. Personally I would prefer an EMT HST over a VT pendolino but a VT Pendolino over an EMT Meridian.

Status
Not open for further replies.