• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Endeavour Sunday 18 February 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

backontrack

Established Member
I watched Endeavour last night - very enjoyable. I wondered if it was filmed on the Cholsey to Wallingford line but the station would have been a terminus if that were the case. Quainton Road does seem right, and looked right too - I initially thought that the first station might have been Hanborough, though I don't think that it was.

Good to see parly services getting a mention!

One thing that struck me was that the creators were good at creating fictional station names that sounded realistic:

Norborough (Hanborough)
King's Oak (King's Sutton)
East Pitherbury (no idea)
Gibbet's End (I like the metaphor)

Roger Allam was terrific as always, and I particularly thought that Anton Lesser was superb in last night's episode. When he lost his temper, you forgot that he was acting - it was sublimely done.

My parents also noticed the Crossroads Motel @ilkestonian - a nice touch.

Was good - often is - the attention to period detail is excellent - even down to cigarette and biscuit packets. The Crossroads reference was superb. (though probably only noted by anyone over the age of 50)
Authenticity doesn't matter to me, but I do appreciate the attention to detail. There are always little things to spot and enjoy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Mid Hants?
Something quite inappropriate to have green stations somewhere in Oxfordshire!
They've used Southern places before (as did Downton Abbey, supposed to be set in Yorks!).
Midsomer Murders (also set near to Oxford in the Chilterns) at least tends to use Chiltern Trains routes, but that is of course "modern".
The Princes Risborough-Aylesbury branch often shows up with a Bubble Car DMU, or somewhere like Beaconsfield with a 165.
But you'd think Endeavour would use Didcot for local railway scenes, or Glos Warks, or Severn Valley as being more authentic WR in the 1960s.
It was also about then when BR started painting stations in black and white (and trains blue), getting away from the old regional/Big 4 colours.

The Crab

Thank you for the replies. The series is now in 1968 so I suppose that these Bulleids must be coming down from Lostock Hall!

Engineer

Midsomer Murders fictional County Town is Causton, the station depicted and filmed is Twyford; as we all know on the GWR originally. I often saw wheel slipping Bullied Southern engines and even green coaches at Oxford, but no green station paint. .

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Mid Hants?
Something quite inappropriate to have green stations somewhere in Oxfordshire!
They've used Southern places before (as did Downton Abbey, supposed to be set in Yorks!).
Midsomer Murders (also set near to Oxford in the Chilterns) at least tends to use Chiltern Trains routes, but that is of course "modern".
The Princes Risborough-Aylesbury branch often shows up with a Bubble Car DMU, or somewhere like Beaconsfield with a 165.
But you'd think Endeavour would use Didcot for local railway scenes, or Glos Warks, or Severn Valley as being more authentic WR in the 1960s.
It was also about then when BR started painting stations in black and white (and trains blue), getting away from the old regional/Big 4 colours.

Or the Chosely Steam railway?

ilkestonian

One thing they did miss was the shiny well polished rails on the supposedly long closed and disused track that Morse walked along.
I wondered about that, but then I wondered if he was walking back along the open line he had just travelled on when he spotted the disused wagons adjacent to the running line.

So either a basic error or an H&S nightmare :D

randyrippley

Established Member
The model railway had a Western in it. Were there any convincing 00 models in 1968?

Yes - around then Trix did a OO Western model, available in Green / Maroon / Blue.
Not sure, but I think the OO/HO range went to Airfix, the N gauge "MiniTrix" to Graham Farish

Steptoe

Midsomer Murders fictional County Town is Causton, the station depicted and filmed is Twyford; as we all know on the GWR originally. I often saw wheel slipping Bullied Southern engines and even green coaches at Oxford, but no green station paint. .

I've often wondered if the script writer for this series lives or lived in Norfolk as Cawston and Twyford are real villages. Both have railway connections in that Cawston used to have a station and Twyford is alongside the alignment of the old Broom Green to Foulsham section of the GER.

John Luxton

Established Member
Did anyone notice the audible warning for the crossing where the enthusiasts kills himself?
Obviously dubbed in at some point as there was no infrastructure around the very basic barriers to support an audible warning device.
The British Rail van was in silver too - from what I recall most of the small vans were bight yellow.
Also would not one have expected British Transport Police to be in attendance for the crimes which took place on railway property?

A final observation also concerned the enthusiasts 1950s 127 Brownie Camera, given that early in the film he states that he is a school inspector one might have supposed that his wages would have been sufficient to buy something better.

Browse around for images of railway enthusiasts of the period and most had small cameras probably of German make in leather cases as this was just before the Japanese massacred the German camera industry.

Those 127 Brownies from the 50s were awful. Fixed aperture / shutter speed 8 shots on 127 - very fuzzy lenses and no shutter / winder interlocking mechanism multiple exposures were possible and could easily spoil your shots. My mother was given an identical one to that seen in Endeavour for a wedding present and she still has it. Dreadful camera. I was given a 1960s version for Christmas 1965 - that was better and had interlocking between shutter and film advance as well as contacts for a flash. But the lens was still appalling!

John

Last edited:

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Watched it yesterday on demand just for the rail scenes. Was good to see a class 33 on tv.

w0033944

I'm glad that this thread has attracted as much interest as it has - I feared it might not get much, if any, response from a forum that seems to focus mainly on contemporary matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.