• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Engaging with others as a train driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norosoros

I understand a trait you must demonstrate as a train driver is the ability to listen and engage with others. Why is this and how significant is this day to day as a train driver?

I always thought drivers don't really interact with customers much at all. So apart from being responsible for their safety and having to be punctual as a driver, why must you engage with others and possess negotiation skills?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
I understand a trait you must demonstrate as a train driver is the ability to listen and engage with others. Why is this and how significant is this day to day as a train driver?

I always thought drivers don't really interact with customers much at all. So apart from being responsible for their safety and having to be punctual as a driver, why must you engage with others and possess negotiation skills?

Most of the time drivers don’t deal with passengers, apart from the very occasional knock on the window or enquiry whilst changing ends. However every now and again a situation will come up which will be extremely challenging, for example the Peckham Rye incident a couple of years back.

Drivers also deal with people internal to the railway on a more constant basis, ranging from management to colleagues. Internal politics is rife on the railway, and good people skills go far in handling this.

Having said all this, the driver is on his own most of the time. Extrovert types can struggle with this. It’s this difficult-to-reconcile mismatch which means the industry has to be careful who it takes on.

Last edited:

Red1980

Let's put it this way. If you go into any potential toc trainee driver interview and not hammer the life out of "customer service" you simply won't get the job.

The days of the driver being a hi-viz shaped blur on the platform are well over. Most companies want the driver as visible and interactive as the guard these days. Times have definitely changed since you rocked up to the interview, simply mentioned the word safety and got offered the job.

Last edited:

NI 271

Guards, signallers, groundstaff etc are all others (people) too, work on freight and you've another raft of people whose instruction you need to fully understand and will need to work alongside too, for example in possessions, or on premises run by staff from other companies. Such criteria aren't mentioned just to fill up space in a job spec, work on the railway and you'll find that communication is a massively important factor every shift.

dazzayid

As a trainee there is a lot to learn from other drivers, listening in to some conversations in mess rooms can give you much needed info. Also asking drivers for help in something you don’t understand is helpful. Some trainees don’t talk to experienced drivers which I don’t understand. I’m always listening in on their experiences and little tips, although don’t always listen to what’s said in mess rooms.

Also in training you have customer service drummed into you, on my toc if you don’t have anyone on the train with you then you need to make those announcements, keep passengers informed if anything goes wrong. When changing ends you will get asked loads of questions which you should be able to help as much as u can.

Negotiation skill that’s for when your sorting your overtime when your late

sw1ller

Established Member
The thing is, you’re being taken on as a TRAINEE driver. Whilst all the answers above are correct for a qualified driver, a trainee does a hell of a lot more interacting with people. These may be passengers but it’s normally going to be other trainees, instructors, managers and other various members of the railway.

You’re going to be working very closely with people for 7-18+ months depending on the role and you need to get along with your colleagues and interact well whilst listening carefully to instructions.

It’s likely, if you have good customer care skills you’re going to be pleasant and approachable. The training course is extremely challenging for most people and employing people with the same mindset makes things easier on everyone. It’s a way of reducing risk.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying this approach works, but if you’re going to be investing £200,000+ into someone’s training, you want to give that person, and the 9 other people on the course the best possible chance of succeeding.

Then once you pass out, the company has the added bonus that they’ve employed someone who’s going to help passengers and Help give the company a good reputation.

So this is why even FOCs want to see good customer care skills. They have customers too. Think of everyone you see on the railway as a customer. Signalman, p-way, security, drunk people....... the list goes on.

Edit

@dazzayid beat me to it. :D

Stigy

Established Member
I agree with what’s been said so far. Drivers are naturally going to be asked questions from customers as they’re wearing a uniform and representing the company. A few drivers who have a lot of service under their belt (shall we say) clearly aren’t very approachable, and there’s probably not much that’s going to change them because when they were employed things generally weren’t as ‘corporate’ or customer focused. My view is, it doesn’t hurt to simply help people out if you have a bit of time, or if you don’t have time, simply direct them to someone who can help. It’s a shame that even those employed in customer facing roles don’t possess great customer service skills sometimes, either.

No matter what job you do for a TOC now, customer service will be drummed in to you from corporate induction! I’ve done about 12-years frontline work and start with GWR tomorrow. My third day will be all about creating great customer experiences. It’s the way operators are these days because along with safety, customer service is paramount. It generally a good trait to have, and I can see why it’s important.

Status
Not open for further replies.