• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Enough time to change trains? (Gatwick to Ashford)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyGRX

Hi there,

First of all, I apologize in advance if this is not the right forum to post this, but I thought this could only fit in well here!

I have a travel-related question and I'm sure there this is the right place to ask, with so many experts laying around :) Here's the thing: I'm planning to travel from Gatwick Airport (GTW) to Ashford International (AFK) on a Friday morning, through Redhill and Tonbridge, and I'm quite happy to go tight on train change times if that saves me half an hour of journey (around 90' vs. the usual 120'). So this is the service I'd like to get on:

8:57 Gatwick Airport - Redhill 9:12
9:17 Redhill - Tonbridge 9:48
9:52 Tonbridge - Ashford 10:29

As you can see, I only have 5 mins to change trains in the first case, and 4 in the second case. I'll be traveling with a BIG suitcase, and even though I can be very fast, I was wondering if there's enough time for me to change platforms and all... I can be as fast as I need to be, I guess, but still! If the platforms shown at the NR enquiries website are correct, I'll have to go through the bridge both times, so... what do you think? It is tight, but I'd like to know if it's doable! Also, and this is one for the experts... Any idea on which carriage should I want to be when the doors open? 4 minutes might seem enough, but if that includes walking along half of the platform just to get the stairs, might be a bit too much! :oops:

Anyway, I would like to know your opinion about this. Thanks in advance for your time, and sorry again if I posted in the wrong forum.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor

These are valid connections on this itinerary, as the connection time for Redhill is 5 minutes, and that for Tonbridge is 4 minutes.

So if you're delayed by just 1 minute on either train and miss your connection you may be eligible for delay repay.

As an aside, this thread may be better placed in the Fares Advice & Policy subforum.

steamybrian

Established Member
Whilst 4 minutes to change trains at Tonbridge maybe what the connectional times state but in practice what you are planning is very, very tight.
At Tonbridge trains normally terminate at the London end of platform 1. You will therefore have to walk along the remainder of platform 1, up the stairs, across the footbridge and down stairs to platform 3.
I would plan catching the next train from Tonbridge to Ashford.
Note SouthEastern trains have a policy of NOT holding connections even between their own trains.
The prospect of connecting between Southern Railway trains and SE trains is NIL.

Last edited:

coastwallker

I have missed an Ashford train at Tonbridge because of the time taken to get across. Certainly worth being at the front of the train from Redhill

tsr

Established Member
Try to be towards the rear of the train from Gatwick to Redhill, but don't worry too much, as the train will wait a few minutes and perform an attachment to another service in front, and so people should be relatively patient - so usually will not be crowding around the doors too much - as it arrives. The lifts at Redhill are new and fairly quick, but you may still find it quicker to use the stairs if you have been delayed and the lifts are not at the right level. Take special care on said stairs - even if you are late, it's best not to run very fast, as they are not at the best gradient for use with luggage. Go down the steps to the subway and turn left, then go up the steps directly ahead at the end of the corridor, which lead to Platform 3, where you should find the Tonbridge train appears (or, if it's a tight connection on the day, has stopped) right in front of you.

Last edited:

chuffchuff

Having used the 09.52 at Tonbridge, it's usually late, as it often arrives at London after it should have left to go back down :roll:

paul1609

Established Member
Hi there,

First of all, I apologize in advance if this is not the right forum to post this, but I thought this could only fit in well here!

I have a travel-related question and I'm sure there this is the right place to ask, with so many experts laying around :) Here's the thing: I'm planning to travel from Gatwick Airport (GTW) to Ashford International (AFK) on a Friday morning, through Redhill and Tonbridge, and I'm quite happy to go tight on train change times if that saves me half an hour of journey (around 90' vs. the usual 120'). So this is the service I'd like to get on:

As you can see, I only have 5 mins to change trains in the first case, and 4 in the second case. I'll be traveling with a BIG suitcase, and even though I can be very fast, I was wondering if there's enough time for me to change platforms and all... I can be as fast as I need to be, I guess, but still! If the platforms shown at the NR enquiries website are correct, I'll have to go through the bridge both times, so... what do you think? It is tight, but I'd like to know if it's doable! Also, and this is one for the experts... Any idea on which carriage should I want to be when the doors open? 4 minutes might seem enough, but if that includes walking along half of the platform just to get the stairs, might be a bit too much! :oops:

Anyway, I would like to know your opinion about this. Thanks in advance for your time, and sorry again if I posted in the wrong forum.

I travel this way frequently en route from Portsmouth to Headcorn and rarely miss the very tight connections at either Redhill ot Tonbridge. Be in the back of the train from Gatwick and then get in the front of the train from Redhill to Tonbridge. The connection at Redhill is more critical as the Tonbridge service is generally only hourly wheras the Tonbridge to Ashford is at least half hourly.

Muzer

Established Member
These are valid connections on this itinerary, as the connection time for Redhill is 5 minutes, and that for Tonbridge is 4 minutes.

So if you're delayed by just 1 minute on either train and miss your connection you may be eligible for delay repay.

As an aside, this thread may be better placed in the Fares Advice & Policy subforum.
According to that page, the minimum Southern-Southern connection time at Redhill is actually 3 minutes. I'm assuming it's not a First Great Western of course, I haven't checked what the actual trains are.

tsr

Established Member
According to that page, the minimum Southern-Southern connection time at Redhill is actually 3 minutes. I'm assuming it's not a First Great Western of course, I haven't checked what the actual trains are.

It is a Southern-Southern connection, and you are quite right - in theory ;)

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor

Yes - hadn't noticed that column.

B&W

You are talking about the Southern trains that use the route via Horsham.

Before I saw the light and went back to travelling in my car I had to travel an hour using these before I theoretically needed to have any chance of making meetings with any degree of comfort. Even then it went t''''s up far too often.

The past couple of weeks I have been listening in my car to the radio which been full of warnings about trains being 20 mins late due to the just upgraded level crossing at Billingshust opening in front of trains.

Always work out a plan B when using Southern.

Brian

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
But you never get delayed when driving your car?

It always makes me laugh when people expect trains to be bang on time yet don't expect the same of other modes of transport.

By the way Southern aren't responsible for level crossings.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Providing it won't wreck your plans to be late, I'd say go for it.

It's a valid itinerary so Delay Repay is applicable if you're delayed.

That's something that can't be said about car travel - which is not at all guaranteed to be on time (that's just a myth!) :lol:

I've moved it to Trip Planning. (and maybe we'll get a report after the trip too? ;))

flyGRX

Wow, I never thought I'd get so many replies! I knew this would be the place to come and ask for advice! Thanks a lot, folks, I really appreciate it! :D

I guess I'll go for it, see what happens. As a matter of fact, I might be able (provided my flight is a bit early) to catch an even earlier train whose connection times are a bit more generous (around 8 minutes for each), so hopefully I won't have to run (not too much, anyway!).

Thanks again for your time and help ;)

tsr

Established Member
Wow, I never thought I'd get so many replies! I knew this would be the place to come and ask for advice! Thanks a lot, folks, I really appreciate it! :D

I guess I'll go for it, see what happens. As a matter of fact, I might be able (provided my flight is a bit early) to catch an even earlier train whose connection times are a bit more generous (around 8 minutes for each), so hopefully I won't have to run (not too much, anyway!).

Thanks again for your time and help ;)

No problem - I am familiar with the interchanges, so thought I should help ;) If you do catch an earlier train, don't forget that you may well be charged an Anytime fare rather than an Off-Peak one, although this is likely to cost only a few pounds more for a single ticket via Edenbridge, at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.