• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Entertainment class" on FGW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
People may remember that "Volo TV" carriage that was running round the FGW network back in 2005 (pics I took on 30 Aug 2005 attached), well FGW are now to introduce TV in one coach on all their HSTs, the first due on 21 Nov with the fleet completed by 2010.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=4483

If you use the Night Riviera you may already be aware it's already available in single berths.

Attachments

• DSCF0032.jpg
    DSCF0032.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCF0034.jpg
    DSCF0034.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 93
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
People may remember that "Volo TV" carriage that was running round the FGW network back in 2005 (pics I took on 30 Aug 2005 attached), well FGW are now to introduce TV in one coach on all their HSTs, the first due on 21 Nov with the fleet completed by 2010.

If you use the Night Riviera you may already be aware it's already available in single berths.

Wow, wonder if Virgin, Stagecoach and East Coast might follow suit...

Looks good anyway, anyone actually used the service on the Night Rivera able to say what the tv offering is like please?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
When it was on the initial trial in 2005 the range was quite reasonable, although I forget what was on it exactly! Watched Thunderbirds more often than not!

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Looks good anyway, anyone actually used the service on the Night Rivera able to say what the tv offering is like please?

I've never really understood the point of TV on the Night Riviera. The timings are such that it's a pretty short overnight journey for most passengers. If I pay the premium for a berth, it's because I want to sleep, not watch TV all night :D

Plus, it's important to note this from FGW:

Every High Speed Train customer will be able to try the entertainment completely free of charge on their first journey, after which it will cost just £3.95 each time they use Volo TV.

£3.95? I just don't see this getting enough paying customers to pay its way.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Yh I remember this! Wondered what happened to it actually

gingerheid

Established Member
In wonder how they plan to enforce only one "first journey" per customer!

I also wonder how they plan to protect the screens from damage caused by being used as a table.

MCR247

Established Member

I also wonder how they plan to protect the screens from damage caused by being used as a table.

You will have to register

bengley

Established Member
Their refurbished trains look really nice from the inside.

Drsatan

Established Member
Sounds like a good idea given that ICE trains have TVs integrated into the seat backs in first class. Charging £3.95 after first use seems illogical given that no-one will use it then...but then Volo TV's a private enterprise, not a charity, so that would make sense.

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
Well I can see it now, 4 standard coaches full and standing, this coach completely empty.
Oh if you want to sit in there its £3.95 sir, I wonder how many will pay it just to get a seat and not bother with the telly, or how are they going to prevent people sitting in there without paying when the train is full and standing, can see problems ahead for the TMs.
Wonder on the legal standing that this is a standard class coach and people who hold standard class tickets cant sit in there without paying an enforced supplement.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It will not work like that; you will only pay for using it!

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
So I get on and the train is full and standing, I go into this coach find some-one not watching the telly, and ask the TM to move them out of the seat because I DO want to watch it and offer my £3.50, don't think that will go down to good.

fgwrich

Established Member

WOW !

Thanks Mojo...I was wondering myself what had happend to the Volo Tv coach idea...but am glad its made its comeback through the Night Rivera...Personnaly i think its a very good idea and FGW Certainly is setting the standard for Intercity travel, what with the fleet refurbishments and newley designed buffet cars, Mini Buffets, Express Cafe, Travelling Chef and Pullman Dining services and now This!

Inlcuding all of the things done by First Great Western so far...They really have done an incredible amount from late 2006...Enough to use the phrase...

From Ruins to Renaissance

As for planning to protect the screens from being used as a table...as there mounted on the back of the seats...i cant really see them bieng used as a table...especially when they are located right above the exsisting seatback tables...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'd prefer Wi-Fi TBH, would be available throughout the whole train, probably be cheaper to implement and also have a better uptake.

Wow, wonder if Virgin, Stagecoach and East Coast might follow suit...

How much will it cost as well....:(

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Sounds like a good idea given that ICE trains have TVs integrated into the seat backs in first class. Charging £3.95 after first use seems illogical given that no-one will use it then...but then Volo TV's a private enterprise, not a charity, so that would make sense.

The TVs in ICE first class don't work anymore, not sure about the sound only channels

Lampshade

Established Member
They're installing them in the HSTs which will be completed by 2010 - when are the Hitachi Super Express trains supposed to take over?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They're installing them in the HSTs which will be completed by 2010 - when are the Hitachi Super Express trains supposed to take over?

Two-thousand-and-never.

starrymarkb

Established Member

That's probably why its chargeable. Volo pay for the installation, and take most of the charge for use - FGW get a small commission, but don't have to pay for a very expensive IFE system fitment (I believe IFE in an Aircraft is something like 10% of the cost of the plane!).

jon0844

Veteran Member
FCC is supposedly installing screens too, but they've gone very quiet on that recently.

FCC were going to install the TV screens like those seen on the 323's as an advertising medium, not in the same way that FGW are proposing. The project is on indefinate hold though.

Aictos

Established Member
FCC were going to install the TV screens like those seen on the 323's as an advertising medium, not in the same way that FGW are proposing. The project is on indefinate hold though.

Uh, according to our wonderful intranet, the project has gone Green which in FCC talk means:

The Contract with TrainFX was formally signed by FCC on the 5 November
2009, We have now moved into the implementation phase.

313s will have the screens in 2 carriages out of 3 carriages while the 317s/319s/321s/365s/377s will have the screens in 2 carriages out of 4 carriages.

Will TV monitors be installed in all carriages on our trains?

There is also a consideration to have silent carriages for those customers who do not wish to take advantage of this service. These silent carriages will be identified using window vinyl’s (or similar).

Last edited:

djw1981

Established Member
Thank goodness for that. I felt like chucking the central trains one out the window the other christmas when i was on it - same loop of morning enws and adverts (at 10pm)

jon0844

Veteran Member
They should (but won't) have the setup they had on the express trains from Hong Kong airport, which had speakers in the headrest (and a volume control for each seat). That way, you disturb nobody - except perhaps someone next to you if you have the volume quite loud (but it doesn't go THAT loud).

Josuelillo

Have a look under Our Service then What's Happening then Live Projects for a PDF on the project.

Hi, I work for the spanish railways and I'm involved in a project (as a part of a degree on developement of management skills) about installing a multimedia system on-board our high speed trains (AVE), which would comprise not only video and audio on demand but access to internet and hiring of other services like accomodation, car rental, taxi, train tickets, etc.

I would like to see this document you mention, but I can't find it at the website of FCC, maybe it's only accesible by the intranet. Would it be posible to get it by other means (e-mail)?

Thanks a lot and excuse my english :oops:...

Aictos

Established Member
As far as I am aware although the project has been given the Green light, there's been nothing announced to the staff about it.

Have you tried TrainFX? as they would be your best bet as they are installing it plus I believe they installed the Volo stuff in the FGW sets.

I think to be on the safe side as I don't intend to get into trouble with my employers at the moment is just discuss the general idea of what the project could be like, I will need to leave it to FCC to officially announce anything but the general ideas are as follows:

Key features and benefits of this scheme include:

Robust and flexible network infrastructure, able to receive real time and near-real time updates.

A key benefit to our customers will be the ability to see real time passenger information during times of disruption. This will include scrolling ticker based text messages relating to service disruptions and/or security alerts.

Our customers will also be able to view the latest London Underground Tube running information, timetable information and transport connections, ready for their arrival at our stations, thus aiding customers with their journeys.

Not to mention the latest news, weather, sport feeds etc provided from the BBC and Sky.

Now all this sounds good but I'm guessing it's the same setup at Kings Cross with the large screen in the main concourse presenting the latest news but on a much smaller scale.

Now as much as I would prefer better mobile phone reception on our trains as opposed to free wifi, I suppose this would be the next best thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.