• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Escalators at St Pancras

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Think yourself lucky it isn't Kings Cross Thamelink still, for a long time fitting out the St P. box was very much in the balance.

If St Pancras hadn't been fitted out, I suspect the whole Thameslink project wouldn't have happened. There's no way the old station could have been prepared for what is planned to one day operate (up to 24tph).

TL and GN would have almost certainly been kept totally separate today.
Incline lift?

I wonder why travelators aren't considered as alternatives to lifts and/or escalators? Obviously they need more room, but you do that at the design stage.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I have to admit I'm struggling to see the relevance of this. We're talking about hypothetical improved lift/escalator access to the Thameslink platforms. Pretty much the only place such access could go is directly above or slightly to the side of the Thameslink platforms. I can see that building there might require doing something to the taxi rank / road above the Northbound platform, but it seems rather implausible that an area immediately above the Thameslink platforms could be reserved for Crossrail2. ;)

It’s where the link between the low level platforms and Crossrail 2 will go.

adamedwards

As above, the FCI wasn’t there, however the site was reserved for something of that nature a long long time ago.
The original British Library was going to be much larger on the surface. What was built was the huge basement store, so it would be interesting to know how much that is a local constraint. The basement goes down 7 floors with the Victoria Line passing through at -5. This is also a major barrier to Crossrail 2 and any Euston Station Pancras International. Both have to be well north of the Euston Road.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The original British Library was going to be much larger on the surface. What was built was the huge basement store, so it would be interesting to know how much that is a local constraint. The basement goes down 7 floors with the Victoria Line passing through at -5. This is also a major barrier to Crossrail 2 and any Euston Station Pancras International. Both have to be well north of the Euston Road.

The FCI also has a basement that goes down several levels.

There is space reserved for the Crossrail 2 station between the basements; this is shown on the Crossrail 2 interactive map on the consultation part of their website. It is the last space left in that part of London for deep tubes.

Incidentally that’s also why the ‘Euston Cross’ deep level high speed station idea by the noble Lords was never practical.

i4n

I went down there this morning and the escalators have swapped over so there's now one going up and it's either stairs or lift to go down to the platform from the in-between level. They've also segregated the stairs so it's only half the width going down, the other half was for people wanting to walk up (which I guess ties in with an earlier post of the requirement for 'up' being in waves but 'down' being a steady stream)

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I went down there this morning and the escalators have swapped over so there's now one going up and it's either stairs or lift to go down to the platform from the in-between level. They've also segregated the stairs so it's only half the width going down, the other half was for people wanting to walk up (which I guess ties in with an earlier post of the requirement for 'up' being in waves but 'down' being a steady stream)

Good news. I wonder if anyone at GTR reads these forums...

Status
Not open for further replies.