• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Escape tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennorthyork

I have some Escape, NXEC loyalty tickets from York - Aberdeen but now only want to travel as far as Stonehaven. Is there anything to stop me finishing my outward and starting my return journey at Stonehaven instead of Aberdeen? Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
I have some Escape, NXEC loyalty tickets from York - Aberdeen but now only want to travel as far as Stonehaven. Is there anything to stop me finishing my outward and starting my return journey at Stonehaven instead of Aberdeen? Thanks.

It depends on the terms and conditions of the ticket. I'm not aware of the T&Cs for the Escape tickets, but the previous franchise holder had a similar scheme and printed the T&Cs on the back of the tickets. This included:

GNER said:
10. You may not break and resume your journey at an intermediate station except to change to/from connecting GNER trains as shown on your reservation coupons. ...
15. All passengers are carried subject to normal Terms and Conditions of GNER and the National Conditions of Carriage.

Before we debate the meaning of these words, it may be worth checking whether your ticket carries the same T&Cs.

John

First class

Established Member
In which case you're fine.

I would assume your ticket is only valid by that train. You can break your journey, but you can't get another train because subsequent trains aren't the one you were originally booked on to.

So in short, you are permitted to break at Stonehaven, but you sacrifice the travel part between Stonehaven and York.

bennorthyork

I think I'm probably ok on the outward, ie York - Stonehaven is ok. But can I join the train at Stonehaven rather than Aberdeen on the return?

glynn80

Established Member
Condition 8. at the following URL (http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast...ro-page/Benefits/Reward-terms-and-conditions/) states:
NXEC Escape said:
8. Each voucher code is valid for travel on any day of the week. The return journey must be completed within one calendar month of the outward journey and both outward and return journeys must be booked at the same time. You may not break and resume your journey at an intermediate station except to change to/from connecting National Express East Coast trains as shown on your ticket.

harz99

Nothing at all to stop the Op getting off at Stonehaven on the outward portion of the journey, however he would be taking a real chance on boarding a southbound service at Stonehaven for the return leg to York as he would have clearly broken the t&c's of the ticket, and a single would be very costly on train.

Probably better to get up earlier, buy a £4.10p (or less with a railcard) Anytime single to Aberdeen to get there in time to do the journey for which his return portion is actually valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.