• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ETH through wiring Class 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
D8000 in the NRM has, I see, ETH wiring. Plainly this is through wires rather than supply. Why was this fitted? To others?

Andrew

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
I remember that some Scottish 20s had through steam pipes fitted so that they could work double-headed inside boiler-fitted locos, but I've never heard anything about through ETH.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Are you sure it is ETH and not the multi-working connection?

On Moderation
D8000 in the NRM has, I see, ETH wiring. Plainly this is through wires rather than supply. Why was this fitted? To others?

Andrew
As Matt has pointed out, I believe you are mistaking the blue star multi-working jumpers for ETH cables.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Blast. Yes, I think you are right. I should have thought of it. Thanks. Found a picture of a class 40.

Edit: it was the orange that tricked me.

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
Thanks to Google, it was 20045 and 20085 that were fitted with the through steam pipes in 1983.

What I have just learnt is that the first 128 20s were fitted with through pipes from new but these were removed due to lack of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.