• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

European split ticketing

allotments

Is split ticketing effective elsewhere in Europe?

Are there any websites that search for European cheapest fares and routes?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member

In general, I would imagine that the only times where it would make sense are: a) in combination with some kind of zonal ticket and b) for cross-border journeys, which are often not subsidised in the way that local traffic on either side of the border may be.

DanielB

In the Netherlands it is possible, but often more expensive (due to the loss of long distance discount).
There are few exceptions: but when starting a journey in the peak it may be worthwhile to buy a ticket to the first stop after 9.00 hrs and to check in there with your subscription (otherwise you'd pay full fare for the entire trip).

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
One example I can think of is Budapest to Osijek.

I remember doing it and there was only a refundable ticket available for the through journey but you could get two "Advance"-esque tickets if you split your ticket in Pecs. You need to change there anyway.

dubscottie

In some countries in Europe, it is expressly forbidden - such as the Republic of Ireland.
While it's in the outdated conditions of carriage in the ROI, it is a pointless thing to do, given the fare structure.

It's only possible with new barcode tickets, but you will end up paying more in the majority of cases. You could do it on 1 or 2 journeys, but you would only save €1 or €2.

AlbertBeale

Established Member

Do you mean within another country, or for international journeys? In the latter case, for many journeys these days [though once it wasn't the case] the only option is a set of separate tickets; but I'd be interested in cases of international journeys where through tickets were currently available, but it was nevertheless cheaper to split.

doc7austin

but I'd be interested in cases of international journeys where through tickets were currently available, but it was nevertheless cheaper to split.
Easy !
International transit through Czech Republic.

One ticket Germany-Czech Rep.-Austria could be often more expensive than splitting the ticket in Czech Republic.
That is because CD sells its cheap fares only to/from Czech Republic - and not for purely transit journeys.
And if you buy two split tickets for the same train, there is no risk on missing any connection.

Example: Berlin-Vienna.

ÖBB, DB, and CD may sell an advance ticket for the same train, but with totally different prices.

moonarrow458

In Sweden you certainly can save money splitting tickets, not just on the state operator SJ, but even on select journeys on the regional operators (ie. Norrtåg) split tickets can save a a bit of money. Once found a saving of about 300sek on SJ journey up the east coast by Splitting at Sundsvall and Örnsköldsvik, all on the same train. From what i've understood though, given the tendency for Swedish trains to be delayed, its risky to do it for journeys with multiple changes as you aren't afforded the same rights and protections as in the UK. Miss your connection on a split ticket and you might well have to buy a new ticket.

As far as i'm aware theres no sites that offer split ticketing in Sweden so its a case of trial and error and a bit of local knowledge

AdamWW

Established Member
but I'd be interested in cases of international journeys where through tickets were currently available, but it was nevertheless cheaper to split.

A few years ago I did Prague to Munich on the Alex train and the cheapest way was a three way split - one ticket to the stop before the border, another across the border, then after that I used a German 9 Euro ticket.

I accidentally showed the wrong ticket to the CD guard so it was obvious what I was doing and they clearly weren't at all bothered by it.

All on the same train but in any case I don't think either of the CD tickets were train specific tickets anyway. (The 9 Euro ticket obviously wasn't).

dm1

If you know your way around the rather complex web of possible ticketing options, then it can often be a bit cheaper to split tickets for the Munich - Zurich ECE somewhere between St. Margrethen, Bregenz and Lindau. This is because DB often offer cheaper "domestic" advances than international tickets and Austria/Switzerland don't distinguish between short and long distance services like Germany does so you can use cheaper local tickets, especially if you have some kind of travelcard. There are also some local cross-border zonal tickets that can be useful for this.

Actually splitting generally requires a fairly complex spreadsheet to figure it out, and the savings aren't massive (around 10-20%), so may not be worth the effort compared to just buying direct from whichever of DB, ÖBB and SBB is cheapest.

zero

I;ve always found it cheaper to split at the Belgium/Luxembourg border albeit sometimes at a time cost.

dutchflyer

Established Member
This really varies a lot between countries-in many its not worth it at all (domestic!-or as above even forbidden) and I-even a keen budgetteer myself, have never ever seen a site like you have in UK. IF it is possible, in no way to the extent like in UK. But there is also the odd case where its even needed if a change-en-route is needed-train bound ticketing.
Best source for local knowledge are mostly the local-like this one for UK- rail-fan fora/sites. A general touristy site like tripadvisor nearly always just suggests the normal online ticketing.
IF possible its usually:
for across the border international. Often these are the ´official´ fares set much higher as heavily subsidised domestic. F.e. HU/MAV expressly forbids this for a through ride in same train.
and more: a combo with a local special lower fare-or f.e. in Germany the ´Verbund´fares- with a short hop, mostly though for those holding season tickets-which also seem far more widespread here as in the UK (having just returned from there a day or 2 ago).
For those of you eager to explore a country its probably more useful to delve/check what other local offers are available for longer time. But thats of course usually not worth it if you just have to pass by.
F.e. Denmark-Sweden-Finland-Czech-Belgium have summer-only ride-at-will tickets.
And very best bargain-beside the free transit in LUX is the german 49€/month Deutschlandticket. Valid all day-cost less as 2 of the ´Landestickets´ from only mo-fr 9.00.
Also for routes more in demand nowadays there are nearly always lower advance fares-train bound or with limited validity, which will work out cheaper as the combination of local fares.
I;ve always found it cheaper to split at the Belgium/Luxembourg border albeit sometimes at a time cost.
NO time loss is needed for this-but domestic tickets in BE are only till last actual station (Arlon or Gouvy) and one has to buy a higher priced single from there till border-yes, these exist. As a general rule-a surprise for many-is that fares are then to/fro Border tariff points, not real stations. Savings will be much higerfor those holdign special lower prices NMBS/BE tickets-like seniors,students or with the 10-ride pass.
Same can be set for fares to Aachen and onward in Germany using the local NMBS trains stopping at Welkenraedt.
From Brussel to LUX one can avoid this and board the free LUX train by going via Athus (south of Arlon)-this is a detour thus with time penalty.
Having just passed there last week and curious at how it was set-from FRance to LUX I was surprised at how high the fares were set-easily available by the SNCF-machines, for the last few KMs from last station till LUX-border.

Last edited:

allotments

This really varies a lot between countries-in many its not worth it at all (domestic!-or as above even forbidden) and I-even a keen budgetteer myself, have never ever seen a site like you have in UK. IF it is possible, in no way to the extent like in UK. But there is also the odd case where its even needed if a change-en-route is needed-train bound ticketing.
Best source for local knowledge are mostly the local-like this one for UK- rail-fan fora/sites. A general touristy site like tripadvisor nearly always just suggests the normal online ticketing.
IF possible its usually:
for across the border international. Often these are the ´official´ fares set much higher as heavily subsidised domestic. F.e. HU/MAV expressly forbids this for a through ride in same train.
and more: a combo with a local special lower fare-or f.e. in Germany the ´Verbund´fares- with a short hop, mostly though for those holding season tickets-which also seem far more widespread here as in the UK (having just returned from there a day or 2 ago).
For those of you eager to explore a country its probably more useful to delve/check what other local offers are available for longer time. But thats of course usually not worth it if you just have to pass by.
F.e. Denmark-Sweden-Finland-Czech-Belgium have summer-only ride-at-will tickets.
And very best bargain-beside the free transit in LUX is the german 49€/month Deutschlandticket. Valid all day-cost less as 2 of the ´Landestickets´ from only mo-fr 9.00.
Also for routes more in demand nowadays there are nearly always lower advance fares-train bound or with limited validity, which will work out cheaper as the combination of local fares.

NO time loss is needed for this-but domestic tickets in BE are only till last actual station (Arlon or Gouvy) and one has to buy a higher priced single from there till border-yes, these exist. As a general rule-a surprise for many-is that fares are then to/fro Border tariff points, not real stations. Savings will be much higerfor those holdign special lower prices NMBS/BE tickets-like seniors,students or with the 10-ride pass.
Same can be set for fares to Aachen and onward in Germany using the local NMBS trains stopping at Welkenraedt.
From Brussel to LUX one can avoid this and board the free LUX train by going via Athus (south of Arlon)-this is a detour thus with time penalty.
Having just passed there last week and curious at how it was set-from FRance to LUX I was surprised at how high the fares were set-easily available by the SNCF-machines, for the last few KMs from last station till LUX-border.
@dutchflyer Thanks very much for all those details of your experience!You've been there and done it.

rvdborgt

NO time loss is needed for this-but domestic tickets in BE are only till last actual station (Arlon or Gouvy) and one has to buy a higher priced single from there till border
If you buy tickets to Luxembourg from Belgian railways, then they will use the domestic fare until the border. Whether splitting tickets at Arlon or Gouvy will save anything depends on the specific case.

DeverseSam

Another angle is availability - SNCF journey planner is often happy to show that all possible journeys from A to B are Complet even on TER.

But if you have a bit of route knowledge you can split and find availability even if it means changing train or seat.

stadler

And in others it's mandatory, albeit on the basis of "one ticket per vehicle journey" as per most buses here.
Yes that is what all of the ex USSR countries do. You have to buy one ticket for each train. Even if you just want a simple short distance cross city journey that involves changing at the central station you still have to buy two separate tickets. You can not buy a through ticket if you have to change trains. It is a bit ridiculous but it is how they have always done it.

miklcct

On Moderation
Yes that is what all of the ex USSR countries do. You have to buy one ticket for each train. Even if you just want a simple short distance cross city journey that involves changing at the central station you still have to buy two separate tickets. You can not buy a through ticket if you have to change trains. It is a bit ridiculous but it is how they have always done it.
It's the same on Istanbul metro as well, in the same sense that you need to pass a gateline between two different metro lines, with a second fare charged. I don't see how it is ridiculous. It's also the same on buses in the UK.

In China, through tickets (通票) have also been disused due to their complexity. As Chinese trains always need reservations, and train delays are inevitable, only the route, the class of travel, and the reservation of the first leg were given when a ticket was bought, and you need to make reservations for the subsequent leg at the interchange station. However, as direct trains increased in recent years, and the ease of issuing multiple direct tickets on the web, there is no longer a need for such tickets (which in the final days were mainly used for rail enthuaists) and abolished on 1 Jan 2023.

brown.chrisc1@

You can sometimes save a few francs in Switerland. This often happens where you're making a trip that's mostly within one of the regional fares networks but includes a short hop outside of it. For example, with Zurich HB (SVV) to Altendorf (OSTWIND) when returning within a day, where you can get a ZVV 9 o'clock day pass plus one zone in OSTWIND. Pleasantly, SBB actively enables users to take advantage of these savings with it's Easyride app feature, where it tracks your travel within a day and then gives you the cheapest set of tickets afterwards.

On the whole though, long-distance fares are distance based (plus a bit on routes where there's been lots of investment). Savings (advance) tickets exist, but aren't anyway near as pervasive as in the UK. I've never been organised enough to try and piece a few of these together when travelling far.

signed

> Another angle is availability - SNCF journey planner is often happy to show that all possible journeys from A to B are Complet even on TER.

Some TER-branded services have reservations required now (yes, it's confusing).

The Tours-Paris Gare Austerlitz is one of such example. All of this because the TGV offering between Tours/Saint-Pierre-des-Corps and Paris Montparnasse is very undersized (most are onward to Bordeaux so easily full, and even the direct Tours Centre ones can be crowded) and was leading to extreme overcrowding on the TER when the TGVs are full.

Most Normandy services have required reservations too (but at least have differentiated branding), the TER GV service in Hauts-de-France is also reservation mandatory (it's a TGV (former e300) set after all)

rvdborgt

> Another angle is availability - SNCF journey planner is often happy to show that all possible journeys from A to B are Complet even on TER.

Some TER-branded services have reservations required now (yes, it's confusing).
Only Paris-Normandy and Paris-Mulhouse/Strasbourg, and only for journeys from/to Paris. SNCF however send incorrect timetable data, so all planners show mandatory reservations for the whole route of these trains. But I suspect that is not what this comment was about, since SNCF will also happily show "Complet" for TERs without any reservations.
Most Normandy services have required reservations too (but at least have differentiated branding), the TER GV service in Hauts-de-France is also reservation mandatory (it's a TGV (former e300) set after all)
TER GV do not have mandatory reservations; they have a supplement (not applicable though for Interrail AFAIK).
Normandy services only have mandatory reservations for journeys from/to Paris.