• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar brand to remain post-merger and to be complete in three years

Status
Not open for further replies.

valedave

Good news and I just hope this means the return of through ticketing to Germany, talk in this thread of through services are absolute dreamland.

Isn't it odd how firms take useful functions away from paying passengers and then, when it's put back in place (possibly in a worse form than it was before), it's seen as added value? No, just give us back what you took away! I still mourn the loss of the London-Spezials - I did Leipzig-London for €45 each way with a Bahncard 25 on multiple occasions.

Trying the NJ-Eurostar Nuremberg-London connection this winter, which has obviously cost me significantly more and gives me an "unsecured" connection in Amsterdam. I have 3.5 hours but recently the NJ has been significantly delayed on almost a daily basis. Still, should still get the connection unless I'm extremely unlucky.

Return is super dodgy: the 14:05 Eurostar arrival to the 14:25 ICE departure, also unsecured. I have a plan B – the 16:25 still gets me home – but I'm not sure how much ink Eurostar have in their HOTNAT stamp...

The point is: this shouldn't be this complicated. If you're going to entice travellers onto the train at a higher price, you need to make sure that, if something does go wrong through no fault of one's own, there is a safety net.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
The ticketing bit is important.

But it essentially means you need to make two changes rather than one (train -> RER -> train), which makes it more of a hassle with luggage and also means you need to plan in much longer connection times.

The time saving via Lille might be minimal, but a same-station (and in a couple of cases even same-platform) change at Lille-Europe is an order of magnitude more convenient. If a more convenient solution within or avoiding Paris could be found, there could be an extra time saving too.
I entirely agree that changing at Lille is preferable, when there is a reasonable connection (30min southbound feels comfortable).
At the moment between London and Zurich the fastest route by far would be Eurostar to Paris, then TGV Lyria from Paris to Zürich. Moiving time on the train: about 6.5 hours. But that change between Gare du Nord and Gare de Lyon in Paris gives a realistic time of at least 8h...
The best I can get in the ERT is 7.5h (southbound)
If that journey time could feasibly be brought down to the 6-7h mark, then Basel would only be about 5h away from London, which would make the entire route fairly competitive with air travel between London and Basel/Zürich.
5h to Basel/6 to Zürich would scarcely be possible in a direct train.

Incidentally, Paris Est-Strasbourg-Basel is sometimes a useful route, though not over-frequent, and there are a couple of Lille-Strasbourgs daily too.

But that points up another problem: London-Lille is only 2-hourly and, apart from the Lyon route, the onward connections are infrequent (not helped by SNCF switching services to Ouigo).

Chester1

Established Member
Not when done correctly: in Amsterdam and Rotterdam only half the platform (and thus half the train) is security swept and then closed for unautorized persons. The other half of the train may be used by passengers to Brussels and is security swept there.
Though doing that in disruption-rich Germany may be a challenge: because of this the Amsterdam Eurostar is not allowed to reverse between Amsterdam and Rotterdam, as this would lead to a security breach (the unsecured part then ends up at the secured part of the platform). Thus a Eurostar cannot be diverted via Gouda, but must take any of the three possible routes via Amsterdam Sloterdijk.

I didn't realise that was the new setup. That would still mean needing to fill half a train with Germany to London traffic. The cost of border facilities would mean that either a limited stop service or keeping sealed half of train closed at multiple stops for westbound journeys. I can't imagine stations like Aachen supporting border facilities. The only time it might be worth all the hassle would be if the merged company eventually has an interoperable fleet.

Austriantrain

Established Member
Really? I'd have said that London was overwhelmingly the rail centre of the English/ Welsh rail system with Birmingham a minor regional hub, I'm doubtful it's even in the same league as Manchester.

I think there are two separate issues.

Take France for example:

Of course, wenn you take passenger numbers, Paris is by far the most important city.

Timetabling-wise, though, it is peripheric. The whole French timetable revolves around Lyon Part-Dieu. Same in Germany with Frankfurt.

33Hz

the transfer across Paris to the Gare de Lyon is a big hassle that puts all but the most committed rail enthusiasts off from taking such journeys regularly, and adds at least an hour to every such journey.

It's 10 minutes on the RER and you don't even have to change. I've regularly allowed under an hour in planning and in practice my record was under 15 minutes from TGV to Eurostar check-in when the incoming train from Barcelona was late.

That would still mean needing to fill half a train with Germany to London traffic.

Or you could adjust where the cut-off between secured carriages and unsecured ones is as demand allows. The barrier between the two in Rotterdam is a portable crowd control tape as is seen in queues the world over.

Veteran Member
Or you could adjust where the cut-off between secured carriages and unsecured ones is as demand allows. The barrier between the two in Rotterdam is a portable crowd control tape as is seen in queues the world over.
A bit difficult with ES sets being designed as two identical halves - the shorter section would lose the Standard bar facility, which wouldn't go down well on such a long journey (you could open it after Brussels, I suppose).

DanielB

The barrier between the two in Rotterdam is a portable crowd control tape as is seen in queues the world over.
I'm quite sure the crowd control tape is a temporary solution to be able to stop in Rotterdam (as the border facilities over there were already delayed). All designs I've seen in the past involved a more sturdy barrier, as is also already in place on the overbridge at Rotterdam Central which happens to end in the middle of the secure zone.

33Hz

A bit difficult with ES sets being designed as two identical halves - the shorter section would lose the Standard bar facility, which wouldn't go down well on such a long journey (you could open it after Brussels, I suppose).

There is another kitchenette in coach 2 which allows for trolley service. The service on the Brussels - Amsterdam section of the current route is already reduced compared to Brussels - London. Besides, if it's really a problem then moving the bar to the extremity would be the least of the worries.

I'm quite sure the crowd control tape is a temporary solution to be able to stop in Rotterdam (as the border facilities over there were already delayed). All designs I've seen in the past involved a more sturdy barrier, as is also already in place on the overbridge at Rotterdam Central which happens to end in the middle of the secure zone.

Whether it's a temporary solution or not I am not sure - I'm sure the Dutch don't want to lose any of Platform 2 - but the fact that it's allowable at all under the rules just shows anything more is overkill. I'm sure the same principle can be used at other stations where it is not practical to dedicate a whole platform to British Home Office whims.

popeter45

i do find it strange they put both the bars next to each other, would have made far more sence to go first-bar-second-second-bar-first than first-second-bar-bar-second-first

DanielB

Whether it's a temporary solution or not I am not sure - I'm sure the Dutch don't want to lose any of Platform 2 - but the fact that it's allowable at all under the rules just shows anything more is overkill. I'm sure the same principle can be used at other stations where it is not practical to dedicate a whole platform to British Home Office whims.
They don't want to lose platforms indeed, that's why Amsterdam Central has a large fold away fence and Rotterdam would get something similar in addition to the fixed separation between platform and walkway to the border facility.

Capacity-wise Rotterdam is less of a problem as platform 2 is more or less dedicated to Eurostar: the former platform 1 was widened, giving up track 1, as a cheap solution to enable a Eurostar to reach the entire platform coming from the high speed line. Otherwise extensive trackwork would have been required.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
i do find it strange they put both the bars next to each other, would have made far more sence to go first-bar-second-second-bar-first than first-second-bar-bar-second-first

Having them adjacent does make it easier for them to share stock between them, and load them from the same point at stations.

big_rig

Interesting to see everybody getting excited about direct trains between the UK and Germany, while the news is just that the companies will merge. Operationally, few things will probably change. I expect maybe some optimising of services between Brussels and Amsterdam and it would be simpler to offer through ticketing between Germany and the UK again. But the Thalys sets won't be used outside of the routes they are used now, there are now just about enough to run the Thalys services, so why would they use these to the UK if they have quite new dedicated sets for the Eurostar routes?
I think this is the right take. Beyond the usual merger benefits (reduce some duplicated head office staff etc) I don’t think much will change. Maybe another destination in France, maybe Geneva as there’s some rudimentary customs facilities on the platform used by the TGV Lyria services but maybe not…

It is a wonder that there has been the expansion we’ve had so far with Eurostar. As a reminder since trains started running from St Pancras we have had a global financial crisis, austerity, eurozone crisis, migrant crisis, Brexit, coronavirus, , the UK govt selling its share, the list goes on (well hopefully it won’t in the 2020s).

33Hz

Well one possibility might be that Izy low cost services appear on London routes. They already have suitable rolling stock with the right livery...

And I don't think anyone was expecting Thalys sets to go to London for the sake of it (are they even allowed?), but that it makes far more sense operationally to have 2x short sets running some London routes than what they have now. When the current Thalys sets are life-expired, which is surely not that long for the PBA versions given recent retirements of TGV fleets, I am sure the combined Eurostar company will want to consider the option of London compatibility with their replacements.

But you are right that we should temper our expectations. Extending Brussels services to Amsterdam was a company aspiration in the early 2000s and it has taken over 15 years to achieve.

big_rig

It is also interesting to note that next Tuesday by my count will be eleven years since DB did their test run of an ICE into St Pancras. Good things take time!

33Hz

One thing that I wonder if they have through through is confusion among UK-bound vs Schengen area passengers. For example, in Rotterdam you have a Thalys lounge about 20 metres from the Eurostar one. How does that work now with one brand? Will they have to redesign the interior of the Eurostar area to more easily segregate UK check-ins from "domestic" pax? When they let them out, how to they make sure they stay in the appropriate zone on the platform?

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Though doing that in disruption-rich Germany may be a challenge: because of this the Amsterdam Eurostar is not allowed to reverse between Amsterdam and Rotterdam, as this would lead to a security breach (the unsecured part then ends up at the secured part of the platform). Thus a Eurostar cannot be diverted via Gouda, but must take any of the three possible routes via Amsterdam Sloterdijk.

I guess you'd just need to work out that for any given diversion that involved a reversal, another to cancel it out. My German rail geography isn't up to that, but I guess there must be some locations similar to Newcastle where reversing a set can be relatively easily achieved?

33Hz

You can reverse at Brussels - I had this happen a couple of years ago where the Eurostar from Amsterdam went on a line around the north side of Brussels city centre and entered Midi from the west into the bay platforms.

DanielB

But that will still only work when there are no stops in between where the set got reversed and Brussels. There's obviously no need to reverse in Brussels itself as the whole train will be in a secure zone there anyway.

Chester1

Established Member
I wonder if the merged company could kill two birds with one stone with South of France services. When they hopefully reintroduce services to Marseille in 2023, perhaps they could mix it with the long proposed service to Bordeaux. Instead of running two to four days a week to Marseille perhaps start off with a Saturday service and run Bordeaux service on Sunday.

LLivery

Established Member
An article in Belgium's l'Echo was published yesterday with E* CEO Jacques Damas

Key points:
- European Commission decision in Q1 2022
- One leadership team in Brussels for the holding company, E* & Thalys from day 1
- Thalys brand will remain for up to 18 months
- Merging the websites will save €1m per month
- They have a debt of €1.05bn, but pre-pandemic turnover was €1.1bn
- Eurostar trains remain blue, Thalys red - Thalys are currently being refurbed
- Pan-network loyalty scheme to be launched
- E* target to reach 60% of pre-covid pax levels this month (E* stops losing money at that point); expect 2022 to reach close to 2019 levels
- UK remains the biggest market, but 'Eurostar henceforth is a European company... continental extensions will be simpler from Brussels'
- The four capitals are key, but 'we will have to return to the towns where we have already been' - objective for May 2022.
- London-Paris competition - 'It's up to Renfe to prove that there is room for two operators... We're just asking that the rules apply...'
- Highlights rail vs flight disadvantage btwn London & Amsterdam. '60% of charges are for infrastructure at E*... can't match flights without selling at a loss. Single passage through Chunnel is €16, 'we need fair competition... rail infra should be reimbursed over a century not a few decades.

Article here (in French) although you should be able to hit the 'translate' button if needed

Jacques Damas, CEO of Eurostar: "Brussels will become the focal point of Eurostar"​

For the head of Eurostar, Jacques Damas, Eurostar should stop losing money from December, even if, he says, "nothing will be as before".

Called on at the head of the group to carry out a profound restructuring, the historic leader of the railway company takes stock of the gradual recovery of activity, the financial situation, the merger with Thalys and the move to Brussels.

After fifteen months of very reduced activity, Eurostar has significantly increased the number of trainsets since this summer. Where is attendance?​

Over the months, we rediscover the orders of magnitude of the period preceding the pandemic. Between March 2020 and June 2021, the average activity dropped to 5% of normal activity. Turnover and attendance were divided by twenty during this fifteen month period. That's a lot for a company like ours, which is not subsidized. The end of the compulsory quarantine for those vaccinated, from July-August, allowed a very clear and very regular increase in attendance, which reached, at the end of October, half of the attendance levels of the same period of 2019. The objective is to reach at least 60% in December, which will mean that Eurostar stops losing money. Reservations have already been made for the next six months, and the curve should continue to rise at the same rate in 2022, which should thus approach the levels reached in 2019.

Everything will therefore return to normal despite the surge in re-infections and the uncertainties of the Omicron variant ??​

We depend on individual behavior and the evolution of the health crisis, and we know that nothing will be the same again. The pandemic has changed a lot of lifestyles, and everything will be different, but a new balance will be created, with fewer reservations in some categories, but more in others. We will be monitoring developments closely over the next few weeks. There will certainly be a short term impact on demand but, over the past three months, we have seen how strong the urge to travel is and quickly returns as soon as restrictions are relaxed.. We will continue to operate, as we have done every day of the pandemic, to ensure important travel, especially for those who want to visit their families and loved ones for the holidays. And we are convinced that the research carried out by scientists in a large number of countries on the Omicron variant and the experience acquired in vaccines over the past year will make it possible to quickly master this new test and resume the upturn in activity for our customers. "

Will Eurostar be able to repay its significant debts, even while regaining the momentum of profits of 2019 (62.4 million pounds, or about 70 million euros)?​

If we continue on this path, we will not need to refinance . Our total debt stands at nearly 900 million pounds (around 1.05 billion euros), compared to a pre-pandemic turnover of 1.1 billion pounds. We were in debt before the pandemic, after massive investments in the renewal of our fleet of trainsets. This was the first constituent of debt. The second was the consequence of the pandemic, which was covered by the shareholders, to the tune of 250 million pounds (SNCF, SNCB and Patina), therefore 100 million forfeited dividends. We also took out bank loans, with 500 million pounds, to avoid the suspension of payments.

What guarantees did you have to provide?​

The entire fleet has been placed as collateral, and bank loans have also been taken out thanks to the guarantee of our shareholders. We would not have had the same rates without these guarantees. We also had to make drastic cost reductions, with the priority of preserving the same quality of service, safety in particular, and of ensuring that we can become operational again as soon as activity resumes. We had to reduce the workforce, from 1,700 to 1,400 employees , starting with the head of the executive, with the departure of three leaders. The zero ebitda breakeven point is now between 55 and 58% against 70% before this restructuring.

Was the creation of new routes, notably via the merger with Thalys (Green Speed project), which should be effective in 2022, part of the conditions for obtaining these bank loans?​

The baseline scenario is essentially on the main roads, namely the capitals London, Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam. Then, with Green Speed, we will have to return to the towns where we have already been. We are for the moment above the objectives set in May, only this evening in ebitda, with 25 million pounds in advance, and in cash.

What are the next steps for the Green Speed project, and what will it change concretely?​

We must first wait for the green light from the European Commission, scheduled for the first quarter of 2022. We will build Green Speed pragmatically. On the first day, a common team will be at the head of three companies: the holding company, which will be based in Brussels, as an executive committee, and the two companies Eurostar and Thalys, which will remain unchanged. The CEO and CFO will head the three companies. The merger will be done gradually on the basis of the reality of the activity. One website will host all bookings, simplifying the passenger experience and reducing costs by a million per month. A loyalty program will be set up, which will allow Thalys passengers to earn points for traveling on Eurostar,Within 18 months, the common brand will be Eurostar . We had the choice between inventing a name or capitalizing on this name which enjoys greater notoriety, particularly on the international market, for example in Japan or the United States. The roots of each group will be preserved . Thalys trains will remain red, and Eurostar trains blue.

Is the move of Eurostar to Brussels a way of responding to the British government's refusal to provide you with financial assistance during the pandemic?​

The British state helped British companies, only if they were not owned by foreign shareholders. Eurostar will henceforth be a European company, but based on the reality of markets and territories . The UK remains the biggest market. Continental extensions will be simpler from Brussels, which becomes Eurostar's nodal point.

The Spanish company Renfe has started discussions to run trains between Paris and London. Does this potential competition constitute a vital risk for Eurostar?​

We are very calm and open. If Renfe wants to open a route between Paris and London, we'll play along. We're just asking that the rules apply. Those that have been put in place since the opening of international lines to competition twelve years ago are quite heavy. For Amsterdam, it took us several years, when it was only an extension of our Paris-Brussels route. For Renfe, it is not a simple extension, but a creation, between two countries where it is not present. We have been on the cross-Channel system for 27 years, and we are still making progress, every day. It's up to Renfe to prove that there is room for two operators.

You have called for a tax on air flights. How high?​

It should be understood that in an Amsterdam - London, the flight time is very low, but the energy balance is crazy. The distance is so short that the plane only goes up and down. Eurostar's carbon footprint is ten times smaller than air travel over a similar distance. The train is at a disadvantage compared to the plane, because of the infrastructure charges, which alone represent 60% of the charges. In the air, infrastructure is just air…
In terms of prices, we cannot match flights, except to sell at a loss. A single passage in the Eurotunnel is 16 euros… We need fair competition.
We should also be able to reimburse rail infrastructure over a century, and not over a few decades.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Now that's interesting... it's the first time anyone, anywhere, has confirmed what the charge per passenger through the tunnel is for Eurostar isn't it?

...and it's rather less than the figures everyone has spent years speculating about.

Last edited:

mad_rich

I think €16 is the proposed charge per journey for redeeming Frequent Traveller points? (Previously completely free - no 'taxes and charges' to pay.) I seem to remember they claimed that this was what it cost them per passenger in fees.

LLivery

Established Member
Now that's interesting... it's the first time anyone, anywhere, has confirmed what teh charge per passenger through the tunnel is for Eurostar isn't it?

...and it's rather less than the figures everyone has spent years speculating about.

Indeed, I thought it was almost double that. Makes the prospect of Renfe competition more interesting too.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I think €16 is the proposed charge per journey for redeeming Frequent Traveller points? (Previously completely free - no 'taxes and charges' to pay.) I seem to remember they claimed that this was what it cost them per passenger in fees.
The comment about reimbursement of infrastructure investment timescales allied with that statement does, however, suggest it's the tunnel toll though?

Austriantrain

Established Member
I am not convinced merging the brands to E* is a good idea, considering the very different usage modalities („for the E* to London, please arrive at Gare du Nord at least 45 minutes prior to departure, for every other E* please note the doors will close 1 minute before departure time“). There will be some confusion there.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I am not convinced merging the brands to E* is a good idea, considering the very different usage modalities („for the E* to London, please arrive at Gare du Nord at least 45 minutes prior to departure, for every other E* please note the doors will close 1 minute before departure time“). There will be some confusion there.

I think "Thalys by Eurostar" would be a good plan to differentiate in that way - they have already said they are keeping the red.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I think "Thalys by Eurostar" would be a good plan to differentiate in that way - they have already said they are keeping the red.
That just makes them sound indecisive, or that they're in a never ending transitional phase. "Brand X by Brand Y" names always grate for me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

The Eurostar name would work fine for all services. SNCF and their various subsidiaries seem to have "branding Tourette's" with all their various bits competing with themselves (OuiGo, InOui, Izy, etc.) and I don't think they need any encouragement to come up with another.

Status
Not open for further replies.