• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar from north of london

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhs man 2

hi!

Currently to get on the eurostar you have to go as south as london but do you think that one day eurostar could come more in to britian. Do you think this would be good. Do you think this could work and where do you think it should terminate at.

please tell me what you think

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
They ordered some North of London E* sets, but the idea never went ahead and they were sold to SNCF

Any Permitted

I swear I read somewhere about these new DB through services to Germany possibly serving the North but it might have been wild speculation.

MCR247

Established Member
Whoops, sorry. Is that why the are almost in E* livery?

Oliver

The original NoL plan was a daft idea, politically driven to make the Chunnel more attractive to the public. The NightStar sleeper service was even dafter. It's much better to have a frequent Eurostar service from London to the continent, with frequent connections from all around the country; services further into Britain would be infrequent and little used for much of the route.

I wish DB luck with their proposed services to Germany, but I am not convinced they will be successful; at least they start from a city of 8 million people, i.e. London.

Established Member
DB coming to the North? Deutsche Barnsley? :(

The only logical place to go - and they can't 'cos there 'ain't enough room - is Brummingham New Street. Any further north and the journey gets too long.
New Street (connections from the north and north west, International(connections from the airport for people flying down from Scotlandshire), Coventry (for people coming up from Leamington/Banbury catchment area) Milton Keynes then away to le continent.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Wouldn't you need to install customs style thing etc at Birmingham New St, intl, Cov and Keynes to do this? TBPH E* spent too much money and hype on St Pancras toi suddenly divert trains to the second city of England etc. Euston's too close to St P for this to happen anyway :D

route:oxford

Established Member
The only logical place to go - and they can't 'cos there 'ain't enough room - is Brummingham New Street. Any further north and the journey gets too long.
New Street (connections from the north and north west, International(connections from the airport for people flying down from Scotlandshire), Coventry (for people coming up from Leamington/Banbury catchment area) Milton Keynes then away to le continent.

How long are the terminating platforms at Birmingham Moor Street, or how long could they be?

starrymarkb

Established Member
Wouldn't you need to install customs style thing etc at Birmingham New St, intl, Cov and Keynes to do this? TBPH E* spent too much money and hype on St Pancras toi suddenly divert trains to the second city of England etc. Euston's too close to St P for this to happen anyway :D

Hopefully someone will see sense and implement Schengen, but I don't hold out much hope

starrymarkb

Established Member
What's that?

Open Borders within the EU. In most cases all you see to tell you that you've entered a new country is a sign listing the speed limits.

As I understand it we've signed up to the police co-operation and other provisions, but not the open borders.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Open Borders within the EU. In most cases all you see to tell you that you've entered a new country is a sign listing the speed limits.

As I understand it we've signed up to the police co-operation and other provisions, but not the open borders.

Oh, knowing the EU they'll do this, then stop it because it infringes human rights, steal all our money for their pensions, and try to absorb all the country's in Europe into one super country called Europe :D

MCR247

Established Member
Oh, knowing the EU they'll do this, then stop it because it infringes human rights, steal all our money for their pensions, and try to absorb all the country's in Europe into one super country called Europe :D

No, its the UKs choice. Most other EU contries have accepted but we haven't

Oliver

Even if we did sign up to Schengen (which is highly unlikely given the immigration problems - witness the camps full of illegals at Calais) there is the security issue related to the tunnel - an obvious terrorist target.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
The Channel Tunnel is no more at risk from terrorists than the tunnels under the alps, which have no special security measures

The Channel Tunnel is no more at risk from terrorists than the tunnels under the alps, which have no special security measures

The immigration and security measures are government inspired opportunity to big ourselves up. As if the UK is so important, that without these measure, the county would be blown up or overun with even more unwanted visitors.

Why not extend these security measures to the London Tube ? Mind you, look what happened in July 2005 ?

PR1Berske

Established Member
Even if we did sign up to Schengen (which is highly unlikely given the immigration problems - witness the camps full of illegals at Calais) there is the security issue related to the tunnel - an obvious terrorist target.

Utter rubbish. Trying to scare the country into thinking terrorists lurk around every corner has been far too successful. I would hope the new Coalition will do all it can to remove some of this scare-story tabloid rubbish.

The Tunnel IS a potential target for terrorists. So is Blackpool Tower, my back yard, your car, the 0813 from Manchester, and the Fox's Biscuit Factory. It doesn't mean they are currently targets so we have to be cotton-wooled into submission by our elected officials.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The immigration and security measures are government inspired opportunity to big ourselves up. As if the UK is so important, that without these measure, the county would be blown up or overun with even more unwanted visitors.

Why not extend these security measures to the London Tube ? Mind you, look what happened in July 2005 ?

Oh good lord.....:roll:

Reckon that the government imposed security measures on Eurostar, because government didn't have to pay for them. Imagine the cost of implementing security measures on the Tube. And who would pay for it ?

Either put security on both the Tubes and Eurostar. Or neither.

Good to know that economy and ease of implementation is put ahead of people's safety. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.