• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar - Qualified Train Drivers (16/01/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Come and have a go if your French is at a reasonable level (or you think you have the aptitude to learn it) and you’ve been driving for 3 years…

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I can't apply (the whole not being a driver thing!) but I was curious to see this in the advert:

Expected start dates for these roles between the end of August and the beginning of October 2023 subject to satisfactory completion of medical/psychometric testing.
(emphasis added)

Surely a qualified post wouldn't need to do the psychometrics again? Or is this typical even for qualified jobs?

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I can't apply (the whole not being a driver thing!) but I was curious to see this in the advert:

(emphasis added)

Surely a qualified post wouldn't need to do the psychometrics again? Or is this typical even for qualified jobs?
I don’t know if they still do, but Transpennine Express certainly used to make qualified driver applicants sit a couple of the psychometric elements - at the very least the SCAAT (Safe Concentration and Attention Test) and a communications one.

Matt85

(emphasis added)

Eurostar do. I pulled out of the process a couple of weeks ago after being invited down because of it.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Eurostar do. I pulled out of the process a couple of weeks ago after being invited down because of it.

It’s unique to Eurostar to satisfy the French o_O:smile:

I don’t know if they still do, but Transpennine Express certainly used to make qualified driver applicants sit a couple of the psychometric elements - at the very least the SCAAT (Safe Concentration and Attention Test) and a communications one.
Interesting, thanks all! :)

martin2345uk

Established Member
They’re just a couple of the ones we’d already done plus a couple of news ones, nothing too taxing for someone who’s already done them once, and it’s not like it would even affect anything if the worst did happen and you failed one.

What was it about the psychometrics that made you withdraw..?

EchoMike

They’re just a couple of the ones we’d already done plus a couple of news ones, nothing too taxing for someone who’s already done them once, and it’s not like it would even affect anything if the worst did happen and you failed one.

Am I correct in thinking a failure in a test you previously passed overwrites the pass? Not sure I would want to risk that if true.

MotCO

Established Member
Is there a 'right' answer for a psychometric test? Surely it just tells you what your personality traits are, unless it finds you are a psychopath or something!

martin2345uk

Established Member
Am I correct in thinking a failure in a test you previously passed overwrites the pass? Not sure I would want to risk that if true.
No, they assured us that wasn’t the case! I wouldn’t have risked it if it was that’s for sure :lol:

Is there a 'right' answer for a psychometric test? Surely it just tells you what your personality traits are, unless it finds you are a psychopath or something!
These aren’t just personality tests, they test memory, coordination, multi-tasking etc so yes there very much are wrong answers

Val3ntine

As a qualified driver, your licence becomes your “pass” so to speak.

Failing any tests will not then mean you lose that licence. You would have already proven you have the aptidude to drive on the National Rail infrustructure, the only thing that can revoke your licence would be a series of incidents, or a very serious incident* that gives senior management cause to question your aptidude.

*No rule for this as such as each incident or incidents are taken into account independently.

baz962

Established Member
As a qualified driver, your licence becomes your “pass” so to speak.

Failing any tests will not then mean you lose that licence. You would have already proven you have the aptidude to drive on the National Rail infrustructure, the only thing that can revoke your licence would be a series of incidents, or a very serious incident* that gives senior management cause to question your aptidude.

*No rule for this as such as each incident or incidents are taken into account independently.
I guess you just wouldn't get into Eurostar and would remain at your current TOC.

Matt85

Because I have already passed to enhanced standard and have my licence but I didn’t want to wipe my passes out if I failed them this time round.

Yes that is correct and I made sure I got the recruitment person, Emma, to confirm this in an email so I withdrew.

baz962

Established Member
Because I have already passed to enhanced standard and have my licence but I didn’t want to wipe my passes out if I failed them this time round.

Yes that is correct and I made sure I got the recruitment person, Emma, to confirm this in an email so I withdrew.
If you are a qualified driver it doesn't matter.

martin2345uk

Established Member

Yeah if you're qualified then it would absolutely not affect your current role in any way :idea:

Established Member
They won't be taking your licence off of you if you fail though! What's recorded with the OPC is pretty worthless once you've got your licence!

Sam82

Apologies in advance if my query sounds a bit silly. How would you answer the following question from the job application page if you have a good safety record. I mean without any incidents.

*I am not currently under any special monitoring for train driving

Yes or No

Could anyone shed some light please? Thanks

MrPIC

Apologies in advance if my query sounds a bit silly. How would you answer the following question from the job application page if you have a good safety record. I mean without any incidents.

*I am not currently under any special monitoring for train driving

Yes or No

Could anyone shed some light please? Thanks
Yes

Mattyblob

Great to see they're offering training for French language again (after being a requirement during Covid)

RJM

I’ve applied folks, will keep you all updated on my journey through the recruitment process.

anglian96

I really want to apply but it's the whole French learning thing that's worrying me... How much French do we need to know? Isit the whole language or just specifics?

martin2345uk

Established Member
It says they will teach you if you don't have it to a decent level - they have a whole team to teach new drivers French if they don't speak it already. You've nothing to lose by applying, just be honest about your level and see what happens!

Astro_Orbiter

I really want to apply but it's the whole French learning thing that's worrying me... How much French do we need to know? Isit the whole language or just specifics?
If you have no french you'll do a 6/7 month full time 5 days a week course including some time spent in France staying with a host family.

Status
Not open for further replies.