• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar seat reservations with DB London-Spezial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squaddie

Last Saturday I travelled from London to Hanover on a DB London-Spezial ticket. The print-at-home ticket included details of the reserved seats for all three trains, and all three were a pair of facing solo seats, as requested.

When we checked in at St. Pancras we were given boarding passes with seat numbers that were different from those on the DB ticket. The chap who gave them to us said that seats assigned by Deutsche Bahn don't mean anything.

The new seats we had been assigned were side-by-side, back to direction of travel, with no window view - i.e., the very worst seats in a Standard Premier carriage. Luckily, the woman at the information desk in the departure area was very helpful and re-assigned us to two facing solo seats. Not the ones we had originally been assigned, but equivalent seats in a different carriage.

So, my question (to anyone familiar with the back-office workings of Eurostar) is: why might our assigned seats have been changed to completely different seats even though there were still seats available? Is it Eurostar policy to give the worst seats (seats that no-one in their right mind would voluntarily select) to passengers travelling on cheap DB tickets? Is there anything I can do to avoid being assigned a rubbish seat on Eurostar next time I buy a DB London-Spezial?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I can't answer your question, but what I can say is that when I've booked a London Spezial with DB my seats on Eurostar have always been the same as that shown on my original ticket.

That being said, I've only ever used these fares to return to London, so maybe it is just something that happens at St Pancras. Then again, it may have just been a one off for some reason.

flash

When you were originally re-assigned seats, were they in a different carriage?

Seats are normally only re-assigned for technical reasons such as defective air-con etc.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
I've used London-Spezial tickets many times before, but only in Standard on Eurostar / 2nd on DB. My seat has always been the same as that assigned by DB.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Have you considered emailing Eurostar to ask? They'll be best placed to answer your question.

Whenever I've used DB London Spezial I have had my designated DB seats, with the exception of once whereby I had to actually collect my tickets because my printer wasn't able to print and so a quick phone call to DB's London office and they sorted it out for me. My seating preference was the same, with the exception I wasn't next to a window (the only thing I really hate about the 373s, other than their old interior), but once on board and I had realised I asked a member of staff if I could move and I moved to a different seat just further up.

Squaddie

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Good to know that assigned seats are generally honoured, and that this was probably just a one-off.
When you were originally re-assigned seats, were they in a different carriage?

Seats are normally only re-assigned for technical reasons such as defective air-con etc.
I did take a sneaky peek, and the seats that we had been assigned were occupied by another couple.
Have you considered emailing Eurostar to ask? They'll be best placed to answer your question.
To be honest, all I would expect to receive from them would be a standard reply stating that they reserve the right to change assigned seats for operational reasons (which is what airlines generally say when they change my assigned seat at the last minute).

This was my first DB London-Spezial, and I have to say I was a little underwhelmed by the experience. The service on Eurostar is a mere shadow of what it once was, and both ICE services were significantly delayed en route, resulting in a very late arrival in Hanover. I flew back to London the same evening, and was quite glad that I had chosen to return that way.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
This was my first DB London-Spezial, and I have to say I was a little underwhelmed by the experience. The service on Eurostar is a mere shadow of what it once was, and both ICE services were significantly delayed en route, resulting in a very late arrival in Hanover. I flew back to London the same evening, and was quite glad that I had chosen to return that way.

I've never been that impressed with Eurostar to be honest. It's primary value (for me) is a fast way to get to Paris or Brussels without the hassle of flying. When I've used London Spezial it's been on those occasion when I've been able to take a slower journey than flying, with the added benefit of a first class ride on an ICE train!

I've always flown in one direction though to save time.

Squaddie

Eurostar is certainly the only way to travel when your destination is Paris or Brussels, but rail travel quickly loses its appeal the further your final destination. I travelled to Switzerland by train a couple of times, but now only ever fly.

I don't know why Eurostar continues to offer an at-seat meal in Standard Premier. The offering is so meagre that it makes them look meaner than if they offered nothing.

ICE first class was undoubtedly nice, but not really as nice as I was expecting. The seats didn't properly align with the windows, meaning that there were seats with no view (which, in my book, is bad in 2nd class and pretty much unforgivable in 1st), and it seems that Germans are just as disinclined to observe the rules of the quiet carriage as the British. (Not to mention the noisy group of Spanish tourists, a whiny American kid and two loud, fat Brits travelling with FIP tickets and a crate of lager :().

On the plus side, the serious delays mean that I think I qualify for a refund of €159 (50% of the one-way fare), and I've already sent off my claim.

davetheguard

Established Member
Interesting to see your comments about seats lining up with the windows; sometimes it feels like there are very few of us left who like to just look out of the train window!

I agree that windowless window seats on Eurostars, Voyagers, FGW HST's et al are appalling, but do the general public really care - I've even seen people choose a windowless seat. And when you look at what people actually do on trains these days: make phone calls; fiddle with their smart phone; tap away on their laptop; watch a film on their tablet etc. perhaps the railway has got it right.

Perhaps it's just people like me who like to watch the passing countryside and cityscapes who are out of step?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Eurostar is certainly the only way to travel when your destination is Paris or Brussels, but rail travel quickly loses its appeal the further your final destination. I travelled to Switzerland by train a couple of times, but now only ever fly.[?QUOTE]

One of our journeys was by rail from Switzerland because we wanted to stop over in Cologne to have a quick look at the city. From memory it took about 7 hours from Interlaken via Basel Bad Bahnof. The next day we continued on to Llanelli, which took another 10 hours or so. Making a through journey without a stop is too long, but if you do have a desire to have a stopover, it can be rewarding!

I don't know why Eurostar continues to offer an at-seat meal in Standard Premier. The offering is so meagre that it makes them look meaner than if they offered nothing.

I agree. when we've had it it's been no more than a snack, really.

ICE first class was undoubtedly nice, but not really as nice as I was expecting. The seats didn't properly align with the windows, meaning that there were seats with no view (which, in my book, is bad in 2nd class and pretty much unforgivable in 1st), and it seems that Germans are just as disinclined to observe the rules of the quiet carriage as the British. (Not to mention the noisy group of Spanish tourists, a whiny American kid and two loud, fat Brits travelling with FIP tickets and a crate of lager :().

Our experiences of first class on ICE trains is rather different. We have twice sat right at the front where we could watch the track ahead and been the only people in that section. Mrs Greenback loved having a drivers eye view!

Another time coming back from Mannheim we sat in a carriage slightly behind and it was also pretty empty. A few more got on along the way, but fortunately there was nothing like you encountered!

nw1

Established Member
I've never been that impressed with Eurostar to be honest. It's primary value (for me) is a fast way to get to Paris or Brussels without the hassle of flying. When I've used London Spezial it's been on those occasion when I've been able to take a slower journey than flying, with the added benefit of a first class ride on an ICE train!

I've always flown in one direction though to save time.

Generally my threshold for choosing train or flying is a bit higher, as most of my trips are 2-week holidays where the extra few hours of the train doesn't make a difference in the scheme of things. On the other hand myself and a couple of friends did fly to Amsterdam recently because we were very pushed for time.

For instance, I've semi-regularly (4 times in 6 years) travelled to Bavaria and Austria on the train, most recently this year when I did London-Munich and return. This year I did the outward journey all in one go "just to prove it can be done" but in previous years when heading for Innsbruck or Vienna (yes, really) I've stayed the night in Cologne.

FWIW my experience of the Eurostar/ICE combination is positive - ICEs have always been on-time (more or less) and never overcrowded, also they're comfortable - the only section which sometimes can be tiring is the Frankfurt-Nürnberg section as the line speed is quite slow in places, though it is compensated in parts by the scenery. The biggest pain in the backside of the whole thing is going through all that palaver with immigration etc in Brussels on the way back just because we refuse to have anything to do with Schengen! (not looking for a political discussion btw). Back to the original question, all my Eurostar allocations through London-Spezial (five in total, IIRC - one year I did Eurostar/Thalys in one direction and one year I was on a 26+ InterRail ticket) have always been honoured.

I'd probably go as far as Italy, even to Rome, on the train though I'm not such a rail nut that I'd choose train over plane for Norway, for instance!

Last edited:
The Eurostar/DB combination really worked well for me. It took a day to get from Worcester to Herford and I arrived a at Herford for 19.30. Roughly the same in reverse for the return. Five trains (FGW, LU, ES, ICE and IC) each way, all on time and a really enjoyable. One alternative was two trains to Birmingham airport, a flight to Hanover and two trains to Herford. Another alternative was drive to Birmingham airport, park, fight to Hanover and a taxi to Herford. Both alternatives meant arriving in Herford very late or in the early hours of the next morning. Not much fun in a strange foreign town with work at 8.30 the following morning. All roughly the same cost apart from the option that involved the taxi. All in all a trip I would happily do again.

I have always found in Northern Europe, door to door travel involving an aircraft is not convenient, quick or cheap. Capital city airport to capital city airport possibly but door to door from somewhere obscure (like Worcester) to somewhere else obscure is better by train.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'd probably go as far as Italy, even to Rome, on the train though I'm not such a rail nut that I'd choose train over plane for Norway, for instance!

I've never travelled UK - Norway or vice versa by train. I have flown once, and done the old DFDS ferry from Newcastle to Kristiansand, which was very civilised!

nw1

Established Member
I've never travelled UK - Norway or vice versa by train. I have flown once, and done the old DFDS ferry from Newcastle to Kristiansand, which was very civilised!

I'd probably do the ferry if it still existed (being into mountain walking, Norway is on my "todo" list).

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'd probably do the ferry if it still existed (being into mountain walking, Norway is on my "todo" list).

I was quite saddened when the last Norwegian ferry route was withdrawn. Especially as I had never sailed to Bergen from Newcastle!

Veteran Member
I have always found in Northern Europe, door to door travel involving an aircraft is not convenient, quick or cheap. Capital city airport to capital city airport possibly but door to door from somewhere obscure (like Worcester) to somewhere else obscure is better by train.

Best wishes, Stephen.

I agree. Ignoring 2-leg flights on environmental grounds, even from Manchester only Munich Duesseldorf Frankfurt and Hamburg have more than one flight a day, and when you factor in getting to MAN... I realise E Lancs is not the centre of the universe but...
Admittedly ES and ICE would work better if the connections from Preston weren't so awkward.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Not done Norway but have done uppsala and back.

Veteran Member
This was a few years back. Home was Shipley not E Lancs then which helped.

Outward for mid afternoon arrival in Uppsala: London, Dortmund (overnight), Hamburg, niebuell, toender, Great Belt, Copenhagen, Helsingor (ferry), Helsingborg (overnight), Lund, Stockholm.
Return with afternoon departure: Göteborg (overnight), Malmö, Roedby-puttgarden, Osnabrück (overnight), Aachen, Liege, London.

Ticketing was ES to Any Belgien Station, Interrail for flexibility, and a NRW Laenderticket back to Aachen Sued Grenze.
IIRC the CNL sleeper timings didn't fit, not that it's relevant much longer.

I manage my own time so it wasn't vital to do the journey as quickly as possible, but I couldn't have avoided the second overnight each way.

These days I would consider using Harwich - Hook, not an option at the time, and use DB London Special and ES-Sweden and SJ online ticketing

Last edited:
Thank you. A very interesting trip. I would like to visit Sweden. Denmark and Norway by train. We have been on cruises but you only get to the coast and have a short day in port. As you say having the time is important for that type of trip. I don't mind an overnight stop as I get to see somewhere new. I have quite generous holiday allowance from work. Also if I travel for business in Europe my employer gives me a day each way. I am still very new to all this though. Thanks again.

Best wishes, Stephen.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I would like to visit Sweden. Denmark and Norway by train.

Well, I am off on a whistle-stop tour to Sweden from Scotland tomorrow night.

1) Local train from Linlithgow to Glasgow
2) Caledonian Sleeper to London
3) Eurostar to Paris
4) TGV to Mannheim (Overnight stay at hotel)
5) ICE to Berlin
6) Scandinavian Night Express to Malmö (couchette) (inc Sassnitz Trelleborg ferry)
7) Local train to Helsingborg
8) Ferry to Helsingor
9) Local train to Copenhagen
10) CNL to Amsterdaam (Twin Sleeper)
11) Thalys to Brussel
12) Eurostar to London
13) Pendelino to Glasgow
14) Local train to Linlithgow.

Possibly too many trains? But, the Scandinavian Night Express finishes up for good on the 17th August this year and the CNL Copenhagen to Amsterdam looks likely to follow suit in December. Sad. :cry:

davetheguard

Established Member

3) Eurostar to Paris
5) ICE to Berlin
6) Scandinavian Night Express to Malmö (couchette) (inc Sassnitz Trelleborg ferry)
8) Ferry to Helsingor
11) Thalys to Brussel
12) Eurostar to London
13) Pendelino to Glasgow

Possibly too many trains? But, the Scandinavian Night Express finishes up for good on the 17th August this year and the CNL Copenhagen to Amsterdam looks likely to follow suit in December. Sad. :cry:

I'd not heard of the Scandinavian Night Express until your post; and I visited the island of Ruegen (where the ferry goes from) only two summers ago!

A quick look on DB's website shows the train as running non-stop from Berlin to Malmo, which de facto obviously can't happen; shunting on and off the train ferry must require some sort of stop; and surely the crew won't have road knowledge all the way through? I would have thought the regional centre of Stralsund would have deserved a call too.

Perhaps you'll let us know what happens in reality. Sounds like a great trip.....

Veteran Member
There is no public stop at Stralsund as the train takes the avoiding curve AFAIK and - until this summer when Stena ferry cuts caused havoc with the schedule - passed there in the wee small hours. Depending on the day there must be a lengthy operating stop, I'd guess at Mukran itself.

The train had a "private" ex DR 109 electric last time I saw it 4 years ago, but must need a shunter at each port as well as a fresh loco into Malmö, which must make the economics difficult, especially with a rather short train. Its demise must leave the Straits of Messina as the last traditional passenger train ferry operation in Europe, as Roedby-puttgarden is DMU only.

ModernRailways

Established Member

3) Eurostar to Paris
5) ICE to Berlin
8) Ferry to Helsingor
11) Thalys to Brussel
12) Eurostar to London
13) Pendelino to Glasgow

Now that sounds like fun! Try not to enjoy it too much. I promise I'm not jealous (okay, maybe just a lot)! :lol:

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Going back on topic to the OP's query. My outward ticket has been issued on DB stock so I will see if I get my allocated seat (61) in first.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Won't the Man in Seat 61 mind?

No. it's his day off. :D

Going back on topic to the OP's query. My outward ticket has been issued on DB stock so I will see if I get my allocated seat (61) in first.

Got my booked seat no problems. A wee benefit of the the DB ticket was that, in it not working the automatic gates, I had to go to the manual check in and was therefore shunted up the queue. :p

Last edited:

Lad Brookes

3) Eurostar to Paris
5) ICE to Berlin
8) Ferry to Helsingor
11) Thalys to Brussel
12) Eurostar to London
13) Pendelino to Glasgow

Too many trains? Is that possible? :D

I'm not long back from Nuremberg- I was on FIP rate Eurostar and Coupons, but my partner was on a London-Spezial.

I booked this through DB's UK booking centre, and had separate reservation coupons for the 2 Eurostar and 2 ICE legs.

I'd had my reservations for the Eurostar changed 3 times out of the previous 4 trips this year. This time we kept the original reserved seats on the outward, thankfully (on the way back, we ended up on an earlier Eurostar from Brussels, only 20 mins after our ICE had arrived!).

I always try to reserve a Club Duo in the carriage right next to the escalator for connections at Brussels- I typically only have 20 mins to make the ICE, so any delay on the Eurostar could be fatal if coupled with being stuck behind some lost-looking and half-awake tourists on the platform or escalator.

montmorency

Hello,

I have used both ES and DB many times in the past, although not in the last couple of years, so the DB London Spezial is a new (and exciting) development for me. DB have issued self-print tickets for years, but somehow I could not see ES finding these acceptable, but from what I have read above, that does in fact seem to be the case.

Can experienced DB London Spezial users kindly confirm?

(I thought it might be the case that you could print the DB tickets, but the ES tickets would have to be sent to you or collected at St Pancras).

Glad to see at least some positive experiences with DB London Spezial. I did some test bookings, and as expected, it was quite hard to find the cheapest prices, but one could succeed with some persistence and flexibility. I was pleasantly surprised to find €59 each way from London to a fairly distant city in Eastern Germany, so I was well pleased, although of course, it might be a different story booking at the time I really want to go (in summer).

The stopover mechanism seemed to work quite well as well.

(I occasionally have a dream in which DB have taken over the entire UK rail network, and introduced ICEs of course... :)

button_boxer

Established Member
Hello,

I have used both ES and DB many times in the past, although not in the last couple of years, so the DB London Spezial is a new (and exciting) development for me. DB have issued self-print tickets for years, but somehow I could not see ES finding these acceptable, but from what I have read above, that does in fact seem to be the case.

Can experienced DB London Spezial users kindly confirm?

(I thought it might be the case that you could print the DB tickets, but the ES tickets would have to be sent to you or collected at St Pancras).

When I've used London Spezial tickets in the past there was no separate Eurostar ticket, I just had to take the DB print-at-home ticket to the manual check in desk at St Pancras/Brussels, they looked me up on the computer and let me through.

While Eurostar and DB both use Aztec 2D barcodes for their print-at-home tickets the DB ones don't work the Eurostar automatic gates.

montmorency

When I've used London Spezial tickets in the past there was no separate Eurostar ticket, I just had to take the DB print-at-home ticket to the manual check in desk at St Pancras/Brussels, they looked me up on the computer and let me through.

While Eurostar and DB both use Aztec 2D barcodes for their print-at-home tickets the DB ones don't work the Eurostar automatic gates.

Many thanks for clearing that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.