• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurotunnel - Trainee Train Drivers - Folkestone (10/11/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MatthewLdn

I clicked on the link which says important information for candidates and it mentions the salary is £38,100 per annum after 4 years, is that correct? Seems very low to me in comparison to other driver roles.

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
I clicked on the link which says important information for candidates and it mentions the salary is £38,100 per annum after 4 years, is that correct? Seems very low to me in comparison to other driver roles.

I guess it's lower than other driving vacancies because you're only qualified to work on Eurotunnel infrastructure and there is no main line qualification included in the role so no need to compete on salary in that area.

Established Member
and there is no main line qualification included in the role

This is the key thing for people to know. If you wanted to move to a TOC after working here you’d be in exactly the same boat as an off the street applicant, albeit with relevant safety critical experience.

From what’s been posted here previously they divide their time between driving and supervising loading etc. (hence “Chef de Train” job title).

nb2001uk

Very interesting job. You wouldn't be seen as a qualified train driver (despite the usual train driver requirements) should you consider leaving for other companies

Val3ntine

What’s also interesting is would your test passes expire after working for them for say up to 5 years?

Astro_Orbiter

I understand that Eurotunnel provide Thunderbird services on HS1 with their krupps locos, is this done by these same drivers or is it contracted out to DB or whoever? If its Euurotunnel drivers then surely they would have to hold a proper driving license to operate on HS1 infrastructure?

choochoochoo

Established Member
'To be eligible to apply candidates must be 20 years of age and over at the time of taking up appointment (April 2023) and must have the right to work in the UK and France. A valid UK Driving Licence and Passport is essential.'

Right to work in UK and France ? - This might be a dumb question, but how does that work now UK is no longer in the EU ?

I’m guessing there’s a workaround being used by staff already employed there and also those at Eurostar.

webb87

I applied and had my assessment earlier in the week. Just wondered if anyone else on here applied this time round?

RPOMan

I applied and had my assessment earlier in the week. Just wondered if anyone else on here applied this time round?
I’ve applied and due to be assessed on Thursday. Still debating if I’m going to attend or not. I have valid passes with the TOC I work for, so don’t want to risk eradicating my passes should I fail! (My TOC is likely to recruit early this year for trainees). When did you find out your results, if you have?

webb87

I came out of it 50/50, it’s hard to judge how well you’ve done. But had an email late last week saying I hadn’t passed the assessment stage which is a shame. Fair play to anyone who does make it through to the next round.

Sillybear44

It is very hard to judge. Sorry to hear that. At least you know about more what's in store should you wish to have another go. Best of luck in the future :)

OnBoardMonkey

hi @Luke153 , yeah i got through mate. ive got assesment day 2 tomorrow, early doors! just jumped on for some last minute revision on the MMI.... best of luck with yours fingers crossed for you bro

zwk500

Veteran Member
'To be eligible to apply candidates must be 20 years of age and over at the time of taking up appointment (April 2023) and must have the right to work in the UK and France. A valid UK Driving Licence and Passport is essential.'

Right to work in UK and France ? - This might be a dumb question, but how does that work now UK is no longer in the EU ?

I’m guessing there’s a workaround being used by staff already employed there and also those at Eurostar.
Apologies for this being very late response but in case it comes up again: there are 3 main ways - the first is to have Irish Citizenship, which gives CTA and EU right to work simultaneously. the second is to have UK and another EU nationality, the third is to be either a UK or EU citizen and have work permit for the other country, which Eurotunnel could act as a sponsor for* (which is probably what happens for existing staff) but it sounds like they won't do that for new applicants.
* - I have no idea how the requirements for each work permit and sponsorship or lack of it would differ between each jurisdiction.

Luke153

hi @Luke153 , yeah i got through mate. ive got assesment day 2 tomorrow, early doors! just jumped on for some last minute revision on the MMI.... best of luck with yours fingers crossed for you bro
Congratulations on making it this far mate, how did today go? I’ve got mine tomorrow morning, just doing the same now prepping for the MMI.

How did you find the day?

notadriver

Established Member
Salary is disgustingly low - barely higher than a bus driver. Considering you’ll be operating the heaviest and most powerful train in the UK at speeds up to 87 mph.

nithen

Salary is disgustingly low - barely higher than a bus driver. Considering you’ll be operating the heaviest and most powerful train in the UK at speeds up to 87 mph.
Even if it was 38k, bus drivers are on around £27k. Not sure how that's "barely higher than a bus driver"

OnBoardMonkey

The second post says 38k after 4 years !
Theyve had an 11% payrise since the date of that post. That encompassed with the additional £7k shift allowance and the additional bonus for working the permanent spare roster if you so wish. With quaterly.bonus scheme based on company performance ..... "Disgustingly low"

Luke153

got through! ... medical on Tuesday followed by security vetting. did you get through?
Congratulations mate, I also made it, I have my medical and security vetting bits tomorrow (Wednesday) I’ve also managed to get all the stuff required back already, even the GP declaration I know HR told me that’s usually the part that holds up the start dates, waiting for everyone to get them back.

How did the medical go?

Mattyblob

A
Theyve had an 11% payrise since the date of that post. That encompassed with the additional £7k shift allowance and the additional bonus for working the permanent spare roster if you so wish. With quaterly.bonus scheme based on company performance ..... "Disgustingly low"
After 4 years... So yes still disgustingly low

lammergeier

Just out of pure curiosity, what were/are the language requirements for this role? Do you need to speak French before applying or do they teach it? Or do you not need it at all if the tunnel operations are conducted in English on both sides? (Are they?)

Status
Not open for further replies.