• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euston during demolition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ham

Established Member
Oh, I dunno. I personally think they should make the new Euston just as much an awful concrete monstrosity as the current one. That way, when we need to remodel it again in 50-60 years time, nobody will mind if we tear the whole place down again.

If you build it all shiny and nice, people will get upset if you later want to rebuild it. The problem is exacerbated if English Heritage decide it's shiny and nice and decide to list it.

So, largely tongue-in-cheek, but it's a fair point, I feel. I reckon remodelling Euston is likely to be much easier than Kings Cross was.

However with the rumours of Crossrail 3 running between Euston and Waterloo there maybe less demand in 50-60 years time for trains terminating at Euston.

As even if IC type trains run to Euston (Crossrail 3 platform) and then to Waterloo (Crossrail 3 platform) and out again (even if everyone from outside London got off before the train headed back out of London) it would provide a much needed boost to capacity as the trains would only need to turn around outside of London.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
However with the rumours of Crossrail 3 running between Euston and Waterloo there maybe less demand in 50-60 years time for trains terminating at Euston.

As even if IC type trains run to Euston (Crossrail 3 platform) and then to Waterloo (Crossrail 3 platform) and out again (even if everyone from outside London got off before the train headed back out of London) it would provide a much needed boost to capacity as the trains would only need to turn around outside of London.

I really don't think we are going to need this Crossrail 3 for a long time, if ever we fit it in... Watford DC is provided by LO (divertable via Primrose Hill) and Bakerloo (could be extended back up the line), whilst the Metropolitan Watford branch is being diverted to Watford Junction (Croxley Rail Link). Crossrail '1' should be able to access WCML (somehow - Class 345 is 750V DC compatible).

Surely this is more than enough, taking into account that Crossrail is designed for 32tph of 12 cars. However, the utilisation of these seems to be constantly altering!

The Ham

Established Member
I really don't think we are going to need this Crossrail 3 for a long time, if ever we fit it in... Watford DC is provided by LO (divertable via Primrose Hill) and Bakerloo (could be extended back up the line), whilst the Metropolitan Watford branch is being diverted to Watford Junction (Croxley Rail Link). Crossrail '1' should be able to access WCML (somehow - Class 345 is 750V DC compatible).

Surely this is more than enough, taking into account that Crossrail is designed for 32tph of 12 cars. However, the utilisation of these seems to be constantly altering!

I wasn't thinking that it was needed any time soon, as my comment was in response to the possibility of having to rebuild Euston in 50-60 years time.

However, having said that, depending on how fast London grows and how quickly rail passenger numbers grow it could be on the cards sometime before then, but I'm not going to hold my breath either.

phil281

With the extension of the Metropoliton line to Watford Jn would it not just make sense terminating most things there? Spin the units round at Wembley Depot and yard.

tbtc

Veteran Member
So we've gone from a sensible question about the reality of refurbishing Euston to hypothetical plans for Crossrail 3 in fifty years time (and a wishlist of extensions to Crossrail)?

oversteer

Whatever they do I hope they rebuild the Euston Arch, except four times bigger.

D365

Veteran Member
So we've gone from a sensible question about the reality of refurbishing Euston to hypothetical plans for Crossrail 3 in fifty years time (and a wishlist of extensions to Crossrail)?

That's how they all seem to go :P

If they can fit it all in somehow, yes please!

RebuiltArchbynightcompressed

90161755.jpg

Last edited:

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Very nice first image, not so sure about the second, all that glass plus the white paint won't stand its first contact with London's Pigeon population, let alone exhaust fumes. See the St Pancras extension for proof.

The only regular diesels into Euston are the Chester trains I thought?
And even those will probably dissapear relatively soon.
Its not like they are running an intensive diesel service.

And it appears I am not going to get my enormous arched trainshed :(

LE Greys

Established Member
The only regular diesels into Euston are the Chester trains I thought?
And even those will probably dissapear relatively soon.
Its not like they are running an intensive diesel service.

And it appears I am not going to get my enormous arched trainshed :(

It's London, the place is surrounded by diesel buses, vans and lorries, and petrol cars. The entire city is saturated with exhaust fumes.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's London, the place is surrounded by diesel buses, vans and lorries, and petrol cars. The entire city is saturated with exhaust fumes.

It doesn't appear to be an issue with the revamped St Pancras arch or the Kings Cross arches. Indeed haven't they come up with a way for the windows at Kings Cross to clean themselves? To be honest I don't see it as an issue and it looks like a massive improvement on what's there now. What would you prefer? Black support work and a concrete dome?

LE Greys

Established Member
It doesn't appear to be an issue with the revamped St Pancras arch or the Kings Cross arches. Indeed haven't they come up with a way for the windows at Kings Cross to clean themselves? To be honest I don't see it as an issue and it looks like a massive improvement on what's there now. What would you prefer? Black support work and a concrete dome?

LNWR colours and something resembling the 1830s trainshed, just a bit bigger The northern extension to St Pancras is a different issue, it now seems to be turning an oily ochre. Painting it to match the old section might help.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
LNWR colours and something resembling the 1830s trainshed, just a bit bigger

Why be in the grip of the past? Why not build something new and modern, seeing as there's the opportunity to do so?

LE Greys

Established Member
Why be in the grip of the past? Why not build something new and modern, seeing as there's the opportunity to do so?

I meant to add, 'not that it matters very much'. For some reason, modern archetecture only seems to look good when clean, but that's just an opinion.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

This is my thought with all this talk of rebuilding the arch. Admittedly the arch was splendid and should've been saved- but given that it wasn't there's not much point in wasting £millions rebuilding it as it didn't actually serve any practical purpose anyway as far as I'm aware.

D365

Veteran Member
This is my thought with all this talk of rebuilding the arch. Admittedly the arch was splendid and should've been saved- but given that it wasn't there's not much point in wasting £millions rebuilding it as it didn't actually serve any practical purpose anyway as far as I'm aware.

St Pancras and King's Cross, in my opinion, do a splendid job of combining new architecture with the original stations. Admittedly, little of the original Euston remains, including the fabled arch. It would be nice to see a replica put up at the very least as a touch with the past, reminding us of the station's history when the modern high-speed trains arrive in the seemingly futuristic trainshed. Monuments do not serve a practical purpose but they give identity, hold memories and represent culture.

AndyLandy

Established Member
Monuments do not serve a practical purpose but they give identity, hold memories and represent culture.

Oh, indeed. But do replicas fulfil the same niche?

(Serious question actually. If the original arch was still there, I would want to see it kept, but I'm not so sure about building a new one)

LE Greys

Established Member
Oh, indeed. But do replicas fulfil the same niche?

(Serious question actually. If the original arch was still there, I would want to see it kept, but I'm not so sure about building a new one)

Maybe build a half-size one instead, for purely ornamental purposes. It serves no more practical purpose than the Angel of the North does. When they proposed an equivalent that was supposed to be visible from the CTRL and M2, I suggested a triumphal arch. It came about 9th in the online poll, the winner was a gigantic white horse, which I suppose was a good idea.

tbtc

Veteran Member
If the original arch was still there, I would want to see it kept, but I'm not so sure about building a new one

Honest question - do non-railway people know about the arch/ miss the arch?

Would it only be for the benefit of enthusiasts?

Ironside

Most that weren't around when it was there won't know of it. I think most people would want it to return when they learn that the station has to be replaced and this structure did exist and could be replaced.

AndyLandy

Established Member

I didn't know about it until I saw it talked about in another thread on here. I certainly don't "miss" it, because it hasn't been there since I started using Euston. But conversely, I'd be sad if they tore down the front entrance to Waterloo station, so I'd probably feel the same about the Arch, were it still there.

RichmondCommu

Established Member

Now thats a very good point but there are many Londoners who are aware that the arch existed although they are certainly not in the majority. However, anyone who has an interest in architecture would appreciate the arch as they do the train shed at St Pancras.

miikey

I havnt heard anything my end. I know my office building is getting demolished (the old PSB) I dont know where I will be based yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.