• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euston station toilets in a disgusting state

Mikey C

Established Member
Why oh why are the London Bridge toilets outside the ticket gate line? If you change trains and want to go, you have to swipe in and out again. Agree for the volume its way to small and "cosy". Trying to build only one toilet set for the underground and the mainline to save money I guess?
The toilets on the old through platforms were gross, but very convenient.

The toilets provided by the rebuild were ludicrously small, thankfully they've opened (or are opening) a second set, though still outside the gateline.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RUK

Why oh why are the London Bridge toilets outside the ticket gate line? If you change trains and want to go, you have to swipe in and out again. Agree for the volume its way to small and "cosy". Trying to build only one toilet set for the underground and the mainline to save money I guess?
Is that one of the stations where there are no toilets aboard any of the trains which call there?

Established Member
Is that one of the stations where there are no toilets aboard any of the trains which call there?

Most trains calling at LBG have toilets. Even more so now that the 455s have gone. It’s just the 707s and 376s that don’t.

Mikey C

Established Member
Most trains calling at LBG have toilets. Even more so now that the 455s have gone. It’s just the 707s and 376s that don’t.
Which on the Southeastern metro side is a significant percentage.

Railcar

The loos at London Bridge are being replaced. The existing Ladies and Gents are much-used. Last Wednesday morning there was a queue for the Ladies that stretched out of the entrance and into the shopping arcade. The queue was still there when I returned in the late afternoon. It makes me glad to be a man!

trainophile

Established Member
Likewise at Lime Street. On Friday we were being told to use the facilities in the Wetherspoons pub adjacent to the station toilets. There's only eight cubicles for the Ladies, and sometimes the queue is out onto the concourse.

Established Member
The ones at Liverpool Street leave a lot to be desired especially the hand washing facility, sink filthy & dryers seem to not work, but they have variety of wildlife chirping over the PA to cheers us all up
I visited the Liverpool Street toilets for the first time on Wednesday and apart from the hand driers hidden behind mirrors to be beyond useless, the worst thing about them was finding them on the concourse, but there were no issues with cleanliness.

The Euston toilets may be the worst I have ever had the misfortune to encounter, not only on the railway but anywhere I have ever been. I only made the mistake of using them a couple of times and will not be doing so again, as besides having to wade through at least an inch of “water” to get to them (which we all know wasn’t water) I did not feel safe for a second that I was in there, on top of the general disgust at the sheer level of filth which Network Rail has failed to do anything about and this is not a feeling I have experienced elsewhere when using public toilets. I would be concerned about catching an infectious disease and consider burning my clothes after merely setting foot in there, if not harassed by another individual using them.

This could not be in greater contrast to the standard of facilities at Kings Cross which during my last visit I noticed had been upgraded from Platinum Standard to Platinum Plus. As good as it is that the Kings Cross toilets can win awards for being among the best maintained in the country, I don’t understand why it is that Network Rail is able to concentrate all of its resources on Kings Cross and leaving Euston in what is a frankly dangerous state, although the toilet provision does some up the usability of all other facilities at both stations.
Having used station toilets at Manchester Piccadilly, Manchester Victoria, Stockport, Wilmslow, Stoke, Edinburgh, Durham, Leeds and Euston in the past few months I can't say I've found the Euston ones to be below par compared to others. I'd actually say Manchester Piccadilly's are on a par with Euston's, Stockport's are on a par with Stoke's. Edinburgh, Durham and Leeds are probably the best, with Wilmslow being the worst.
The Piccadilly toilets are nowhere near as bad as the ones at Euston. They have none of the issues I have described. The main issue I find at Piccadilly is they are always too busy with a lengthy queue to use them. The ones at Liverpool Lime Street aren’t much better for this but there at least sometimes you can use them straight away, unlike at Piccadilly.
Liverpool Central and Moorfields should be gleaming soon, given they have been shut both at the same time since January (inconvenient to have both stations out, particularly of a weekend).
I don’t know in what universe Merseyrail were allowed to close the toilets at both Liverpool Central and Moorfields at the same time. With no toilet facilities at James Street and many signs stating this, this leaves the only station in the city centre with open toilet facilities as Lime Street, where they are already overcrowded.

I don’t have much hope for the refurbishment though, because like at Southport, they weren’t exactly the best but there was nothing wrong with them before, they were refurbished less than 12 months ago after the works overran quite considerably and within several months they were noticeably in a much worse state than before they refurbished them.

Surprisingly, among the best station toilets I have ever used are those at Wigan Wallgate, which are always superbly clean every time I visit, despite the level of abuse they must get from passengers there, being worse than is experienced at Southport, but the materials used by Northern must be much more durable. At other Northern managed stations such as Manchester Victoria, Oxford Road and Bolton the toilets are I have to say unremarkable, but the ones at Wigan Wallgate definitely stand out as being well maintained.

A dishonourable mention goes to Stourbridge Junction, where the platform toilets have been closed for “refurbishment” since 5 March and still not reopened, which was no use to me when I found myself there needing to use them.

trainophile

Established Member
That's only 12 days ago, give them a chance!

I'm not over-impressed with Wigan Wallgate, for one thing more often than not they are locked out of use due to flooding (presume weather related not human related) or some other reason. Always use the Wgan North Western ones before or after interchanging, depending on which direction I'm going.

Andrew1395

Probably higher usage. But I don't get why they don't use more robust designs to fit with that.

The thing that really gets me is why they can't solve the smell - it just requires a much more powerful set of air circulating and extraction fans. The toilets are on an outside wall so this should be easily possible.
It’s the main sewer. It’s quite small, and has struggled for the last 40 years when the number of fast food type catering outlets were expanded. The sewer struggles to cope. Also of course all the things that get flushed down into (that would not occur in a domestic environment) - cans - loaves of bread - clothing - and much more. The toilets themselves must have been rebuilt at least three times. And refurbished more than that. They are probably some of the busiest public toilets in the UK - But as you say they could be managed better.

TheSmiths82

I am not sure what the answer is, but I disagree with charging to use the toilets at stations, surely this just encourages people to do go on the train instead to save the money/hassle of paying?

Euston is always terrible, and the ones at Manchester Piccadilly are awful too, they are just too small and cramped the number of people that use the station.

MP33

I and a number of men were once in agreement that confirmation of requiring a new pair of shoes, is when visiting a flooded Gents toilet.

Wolfie

Established Member
The loos at London Bridge are being replaced. The existing Ladies and Gents are much-used. Last Wednesday morning there was a queue for the Ladies that stretched out of the entrance and into the shopping arcade. The queue was still there when I returned in the late afternoon. It makes me glad to be a man!
Sounds like the ladies at Euston.....

londonmidland

Established Member
This is the general state of the toilets at Euston, which I would consider the ‘better’ options available. Other toilets are either blocked, missing locks on the doors or water surrounding the toilet.

1710766565961.jpeg1710766582756.jpeg

Pictures show the poor conditions of the toilet cubicles at Euston station, along with explicit messages written on the walls.

Sultan

Whilst walking in St James Park yesterday I happened to need a call of nature. Being the Royal Parks I was expecting to have to cross my legs rather than take out a mortgage but to my surprise they only wanted 20p and you could use contactless. No queues (they are hidden a bit) but for clean toilets in central London, it was worth it. In many European cities, the default cost for far worse facilities seems to be €1.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I do have some sympathy on the subject of charging but the issue at Euston is that the toilets are very heavily used and are is desperate need of refurbishment.

The (free) toilets at Kings Cross were opened in 2012 but they were refurbished a couple of years ago.
The (free) toilets at St Pancras were opened in 2007, the ones near the Eurostar arrivals were substantialy refurbished (probably 7 or 8 years ago), the ones in the circle were done afterwards.

When were the toilets at Euston last refurbished? A long time ago I suspect. They need to be much bigger (always a large queue for the the ladies after a train arrival).

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Whilst walking in St James Park yesterday I happened to need a call of nature. Being the Royal Parks I was expecting to have to cross my legs rather than take out a mortgage but to my surprise they only wanted 20p and you could use contactless. No queues (they are hidden a bit) but for clean toilets in central London, it was worth it. In many European cities, the default cost for far worse facilities seems to be €1.
An old colleague of mine once said ‘in the UK, we spend a penny. Across the Channel, everyone has to Euro-nate.
Back on topic…
I was quite impressed with the new toilets on the footbridge at Clapham Junction. A vast improvement on the old ones, which often had damaged doors or locks and were woefully inadequate for the amount of people that use the station.
The toilets at recently-opened Brent Cross West are very good, too.

Wolfie

Established Member
I do have some sympathy on the subject of charging but the issue at Euston is that the toilets are very heavily used and are is desperate need of refurbishment.

The (free) toilets at Kings Cross were opened in 2012 but they were refurbished a couple of years ago.
The (free) toilets at St Pancras were opened in 2007, the ones near the Eurostar arrivals were substantialy refurbished (probably 7 or 8 years ago), the ones in the circle were done afterwards.

When were the toilets at Euston last refurbished? A long time ago I suspect. They need to be much bigger (always a large queue for the the ladies after a train arrival).
Scarily not.... £110k spent on an eight week refurb in 2020....

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Really? You perhaps ought to see the state that the mens' toilets at Manchester Oxford Road are often in.

Oxford Road was in the days of an open station basically a drug den. Has it not improved since the gateline was installed? I generally find toilets inside gatelines better than those outside as there's a barrier (!) to entry for those not simply wishing to use them for their intended purpose.

Scarily not.... £110k spent on an eight week refurb in 2020....

Looked poor quality at the time, not surprised it hasn't lasted to be honest.

If they do it again the "feature" I'd most like removed is the bidet service, though (which if nothing else is a waste of water).

Last edited:

northwichcat

Established Member
Really? You perhaps ought to see the state that the mens' toilets at Manchester Oxford Road are often in.

I'm not sure when I last saw those, which is why I didn't mention them. I do recall from last year that station now has a water refilling station.

JJmoogle

The last weeks of charged for toilets at massive stations as far as I remember was that they were often grotty holes anyway and also there seemed to be complete disregard for the barriers from every section of society so most people weren't paying.

I can't say that charging would 'fix' anything, it sounds like spending £110k on the bogs for Euston wasn't anywhere near enough, they need a proper refurb/rebuild (the whole of the station needs it tbh) and enlargement.

Mark J

For as long as I can remember, the toilets at Euston station have been in such poor condition.

The cubical walls and doors are full of graffiti, explicit messages and the paint is peeling off. The toilets are often blocked, with there being a pool of water on the floor around it. It doesn’t smell particularly pleasant, either.

In comparison, Kings Cross WC facilities are much more inviting, as well as kept in a much better condition.

Despite various complaints to Network Rail, absolutely nothing has been done to improve the WC facilities here.

Why is Euston such a run-down, unloved kind of station?
Don't forget you now have the option of a Wetherspoons just outside of Euston Station, for a cheaper pint and cleaner toilets. :D

LPJOHN

This link lists the Merseyrail stations that have toilets.

If you search by station, both James Street and Liverpool Lime street low level both have toilets, I think they are past the gateline.

Trackman

Established Member
Oxford Road was in the days of an open station basically a drug den. Has it not improved since the gateline was installed? I generally find toilets inside gatelines better than those outside as there's a barrier (!) to entry for those not simply wishing to use them for their intended purpose.
On a similar vein (no pun intended) Hull Paragon springs to mind. I wonder if that too has improved with the new gateline, as not been since.
I wonder if any blue light toilets still exist at stations? Seen a few but that was a while back.
Don't forget you now have the option of a Wetherspoons just outside of Euston Station, for a cheaper pint and cleaner toilets. :D
And toilets are not upstairs!

Wolfie

Established Member
With the cheapest pint being well over £3 and most over £6 cheaper is relative lol

Mark J

With the cheapest pint being well over £3 and most over £6 cheaper is relative lol
Well certainly cheaper than Fuller's Doric Arch and Signal Box pubs and the Euston Tap!

The Metropolitan Bar at Baker Street seems to double up as the station toilets. Have seen many pop in to use the toilets and leave.

Wolfie

Established Member
Well certainly cheaper than Fuller's Doric Arch and Signal Box pubs and the Euston Tap!

The Metropolitan Bar at Baker Street seems to double up as the station toilets. Have seen many pop in to use the toilets and leave.
True enough in both respects. There is actually (perhaps l should say was? not been there lately and unsure if it is still there) a gents on Baker Street but it is rancid and has an awful reputation for cottaging.