• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euston to Paddington by bus? Using a Concession Pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
I am getting of the train at Euston and need to get to Paddington. Am I right in saying that the best way to do it is to get the 205 from stop H on Euston Road?

I assume the roads will be fairly quiet at the moment. Are there still social distance measures in place on London Buses and am I likely be able to board the first bus that comes or might they be full?

Also, to use my ENCTS Pass do I just show this on boarding or do I have to scan it?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bishopstone

Established Member
I am getting of the train at Euston and need to get to Paddington. Am I right in saying that the best way to do it is to get the 205 from stop H on Euston Road?

I assume the roads will be fairly quiet at the moment. Are there still social distance measures in place on London Buses and am I likely be able to board the first bus that comes or might they be full?

Also, to use my ENCTS Pass do I just show this on boarding or do I have to scan it?

Thanks

If you wish to avoid the Underground - which in these circumstances would involve a short walk to Euston Square station - then route 205 is the best alternative.

London’s roads are busy and slow-moving in places, because people have heeded advice to avoid using public transport where possible, though this advice is now starting to change. However, the worst of the traffic has generally been in zones 2-3, rather than central London where the Congestion Charge continues to apply.

Route 205 operates with double deckers, currently limited to a capacity of 30, to aid social distancing. This limit is enforced (or not) by the driver. Boarding on Euston Road, towards the end of the route at Paddington, I doubt you’ll have any difficulty boarding the first bus that comes along.

This should be a reasonably quick run, at the moment, but allow a time buffer for any snarl-ups or incidents.

I will have to leave others to confirm re. your pass.

cav1975

Thanks
Just show your pass to the driver when boarding. The London ticketing kit doesn't scan ENCTS passes. It used to be available 24 hours but now the national hours limits apply.

Belperpete

Established Member
Pre-covid, I used to find the 205s a bit erratic - it is a long route, that can cause large intervals to open up when traffic is heavy in East London. If not carrying luggage, I preferred to walk the short distance to catch a 27, which I think also have a slightly higher frequency.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
With bus hopper, using 27 and 18 can be as good as the 205 - indeed westbound the 18 stop at Paddington Basin isn't that badly placed for the higher numbered platforms.

Nicholas43

+1 for the 18 from immediately outside Euston station to the stop called Bishops Bridge Road / Little Venice. Frequent, and starts at Euston station. You can check live imminent departures on tfl's website. Pleasant walk across canal footbridge to canal, and usually better to board trains at Paddington from the footbridge at Bristol end.

Veteran Member
I basically meant do I show my pass to the driver as I board or do I need to present it on a card reader.
You show it to the driver (if you board at the front).
As post #3 says, Oyster readers don't read ENCTS passes.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just to say; you should be okay travelling Euston -> Paddington by bus in that direction, however travelling the other way I would strongly not recommend. A cycle lane has recently been installed on the Euston Rd, running from by Euston Sq station, to just beyond Euston fire station. This means that buses almost all day long get stuck in traffic and it can take typically 15 plus minutes to get from the stop by the Euston Tower, to Euston bus station.

gray1404

Established Member
Just to say; you should be okay travelling Euston -> Paddington by bus in that direction, however travelling the other way I would strongly not recommend. A cycle lane has recently been installed on the Euston Rd, running from by Euston Sq station, to just beyond Euston fire station. This means that buses almost all day long get stuck in traffic and it can take typically 15 plus minutes to get from the stop by the Euston Tower, to Euston bus station.

In the end I caught the 205. From arriving at Euston to getting on the train at Paddington took 40 minutes (20 minutes of that on the bus).

Can I please get some advice for the return leg from Paddington to Euston by bus. I noticed the cycle lane on Euston Road holding up traffic greatly and the 205 was diverted in Paddington due to construction of Cross Rail.

So heading back from Paddington to Euston what are my best options by bus? Where would I go to catch it when I get off the train?

Status
Not open for further replies.