• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Every Tube ticket office to close

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
It can now be done by a LUL member of staff at a Passenger Operated Machine... I believe.

TP

Correct; approach any member of staff and they'll perform the operation on a POM if they have CSID - if they don't yet have CSID then ask them to get one of their colleagues who do.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Paper ones were. However eligible staff can get PRIV on Oyster or paper tickets for trips across London including the tube.

+1 to this. Easiest way is to get a PRIV Oyster card, although at the moment that means that you will need to get a form from your PRIV "issuer" to then take to a ticket office. Currently, staff cannot add the PRIV flag to Oyster cards at POMs.

This *should* be changing in the next few months so that any member of staff with CSID can add the PRIV flag at a POM without the need for the form, but as yet there's no date.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

G0ORC

Thanks very much for all of this - I see if I can get a form...

Vince

RJ

Established Member
Underground PRIV rate singles and returns for ex British Rail staff were abolished in January

Priv singles and returns are still available if starting from a NR station. There are Priv fares available from London Terminals to any of Underground zones 1-6 and plenty more fares to the U zones routed via Underground/DLR available from other NR/LU and NR/DLR interchange stations around London.

Last edited:

bicbasher

Established Member
I thought Charing Cross would lose it's ticket office in April, but it was still open last week.

Be3G

Established Member
I've just been having a look at TfL's latest ‘Where can I buy my ticket?’ document. A couple of things strike me. One is that getting an odd-period travelcard on Oyster has now become quite difficult for those who don't live near a LO/NR station that does Oyster. The other is that odd-period bus passes seem to have been withdrawn entirely. Is this true? We have had occasion to purchase them in the past, and it was only recently that I recommended someone else purchases one too.

hassaanhc

Established Member
I've just been having a look at TfL's latest ‘Where can I buy my ticket?’ document. A couple of things strike me. One is that getting an odd-period travelcard on Oyster has now become quite difficult for those who don't live near a LO/NR station that does Oyster. The other is that odd-period bus passes seem to have been withdrawn entirely. Is this true? We have had occasion to purchase them in the past, and it was only recently that I recommended someone else purchases one too.

I attempted to get an odd-period travelcard (22 April to 10 June) from London City Airport, which has the DLR's only ticket office, but they said the only options on their machine were Weekly or Monthly. So I had to settle for a Monthly (couldn't be bothered to go to Canning Town).

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Don't they mention you can buy them online? The last option on the dropdown for type of travelcard is "Odd period travelcard" and if selected you are given both a start and end date to fill in. Simples!

Be3G

Established Member
Nope, the document doesn't mention that; it says just LO and NR ticket offices for travelcards. Thanks for the info, although still a bit of a pain for discount holders (e.g. 18+) who can't order online – I would routinely get odd-period travelcards when I commuted to uni to cover the term times precisely. Now, it seems, one would have to go hunting for somewhere that retails odd-period travelcards on Oyster, or would have to put up with a paper ticket issued by one's local NR station.

I also note that there's still no sign of odd-period bus passes being available somehow… looks like they really have bitten the dust as part of TfL's, err, improved customer service.

RJ

Established Member
It might be an oversight - TfL are usually very good at fixing this sort of thing if it's raised with them.

Be3G

Established Member
Funnily enough, the document I linked to a few days ago seems to be offline now! I don't think the lack of odd-period bus passes is a mistake though. If we consider that the only locations left to buy odd-period travelcards are LO/NR stations and online, we can see that none of those apply to odd-period bus passes (the only way to buy a bus pass online is to purchase a new Oyster with an annual bus pass loaded).

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect the world to come crashing down because TfL have discontinued odd-period bus passes… it just disappoints me that a useful ticket has been withdrawn simply because it doesn't ‘fit’ their new customer non-service model.

bicbasher

Established Member
Worth remembering that LOROL and some LUL stations on the Bakerloo and District don't sell bus passes at all at the ticket office and only on the TVM's.

a729

I just think the whole thing stinks of TfL's attitude of 'we will force people to accept our changes by making it physically impossible for them not to, regardless of public opinion'

Am I right in thinking that on the main line railway, such drastic changes would not be possible to implement, especially so quickly, due to government commitments/regulations?

Ironically LU staff at say London Bridge might be forced to send customers to National Rail ticket offices to purchase certain tickets!

There is a chance that LU will backtrack when King's Cross loses the last 2 of it's 3 ticket offices when the ensuing chaos results.

Last edited:

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Ironically LU staff at say London Bridge might be forced to send customers to National Rail ticket offices to purchase certain tickets!

There is a chance that LU will backtrack when King's Cross loses it's the last 2 of it's 3 ticket offices when the ensuing chaos results.

Chaos? What chaos? We're coping pretty well with the closure of the West, although there are teething problems.

Next to go will be the Tube ticket hall, although no firm date yet as it relies on the new POMS in the Western being completed, which in itself will resolved the longer queues that can be experienced.

Perhaps best not to cast aspersions about a station, eh?

RJ

Established Member
Bit disappointed with service this afternoon. I got a new railcard and wanted it loaded onto my Oyster today. I visited the LOROL ticket office at West Hampstead - doing information only. The only member of staff at the Underground station wasn't able to assist with the TVM. I then went to Waterloo. There were only about 5 people ahead of me. 15 minutes later, I was still waiting to be served. It seems that many transactions involve the clerk spending copious time in dialogue with people who have severe issues operating their Oyster Card correctly. I had to abandon my mission as I had to get to work.

I thought there was supposed to be staff available to help at machines. Where is it possible to get this done without having to spend an unreasonable amount of time waiting? Can I do it online or something?

Robertj21a

On Moderation

There is a chance that LU will backtrack when King's Cross loses it's the last 2 of it's 3 ticket offices when the ensuing chaos results.

Can't see LU likely to backtrack, the whole point is to close down the offices.

a729

Chaos? What chaos? We're coping pretty well with the closure of the West, although there are teething problems.

Next to go will be the Tube ticket hall, although no firm date yet as it relies on the new POMS in the Western being completed, which in itself will resolved the longer queues that can be experienced.

Perhaps best not to cast aspersions about a station, eh?

A picture of the Western ticket office in Easter. Summer is approaching with an influx of tourists expected between June and August - a considerable amount with £50 notes which aren't accepted by ticket machines.

Not to mention how many incorrectly purchased bus & tram tickets that will need to be refunded!

It would also be interesting to know exactly what you mean by 'teething troubles', especially as there are 2 other ticket offices (&Visitor Information Centre) to deal with the customers whose transactions can't be managed on the POMs!

(Also posted another picture which shows how much ticketing demand there can be there!)

Attachments

• KGXMet.jpg
    KGXMet.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 77
  • KINGSCROSSMET-2.jpg
    KINGSCROSSMET-2.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

a729

Can't see LU likely to backtrack, the whole point is to close down the offices.

They did in 2007 on the plans to close 40.
Bit disappointed with service this afternoon. I got a new railcard and wanted it loaded onto my Oyster today. I visited the LOROL ticket office at West Hampstead - doing information only. The only member of staff at the Underground station wasn't able to assist with the TVM. I then went to Waterloo. There were only about 5 people ahead of me. 15 minutes later, I was still waiting to be served. It seems that many transactions involve the clerk spending copious time in dialogue with people who have severe issues operating their Oyster Card correctly. I had to abandon my mission as I had to get to work.

I thought there was supposed to be staff available to help at machines. Where is it possible to get this done without having to spend an unreasonable amount of time waiting? Can I do it online or something?

You could visit West Hampstead(LU) ,Finchley Road, Lambeth North or Elephant & Castle's ticket office. Check opening hours before you go of course!

You can't add a railcard discount to an oyster online.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
When I went to King's Cross to get my Gold Card added to my Oyster, a lot of people in front of me were being told about Oyster and how it would save them money, and staff also trying to explain where it would cost little more to get Oyster (with the deposit) but then mean having the card for future travel, as against buying a paper ticket. Naturally, some people needed that explaining and some people ignored or didn't understand the advice.

It was good that staff took the time, except when you're queuing!

Be3G

Established Member
Here's a question I thought of earlier: what will happen once all the ticket offices have closed if someone arrives by train at an LUL-run station with NR services but no specific NR window, who holds a permit to travel and needs to exchange it for a proper NR ticket? Or is it the case that there aren't now any permit to travel machines left on routes that lead to such stations?

TEW

Established Member

My friend needed his railcard added to his Oyster Card last Saturday. We tried at the first station we came to, Embankment. We were helped quickly by staff but after about 10 minutes, and 4 different members of staff trying they were unable to actually add the railcard and advised a visit to the ticket office at Charing Cross instead. It was done there in less than a minute, after around 5 minutes waiting in the queue.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Was the Oyster registered? Because the Railcard can't be added unless the registration flag is set. This can be set on the machines as well as at the booking office.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
A picture of the Western ticket office in Easter. Summer is approaching with an influx of tourists expected between June and August - a considerable amount with £50 notes which aren't accepted by ticket machines.

Not to mention how many incorrectly purchased bus & tram tickets that will need to be refunded!

It would also be interesting to know exactly what you mean by 'teething troubles', especially as there are 2 other ticket offices (&Visitor Information Centre) to deal with the customers whose transactions can't be managed on the POMs!

(Also posted another picture which shows how much ticketing demand there can be there!)

I am assuming that when your pictures were taken the VC was not yet open; it has helped a lot with many queries, particularly when the TfL Ambassadors are outside.

We do regularly direct customers to the North & Tube ticket halls if they cannot complete their transactions on the POMs, or if it would be quicker for them to do so during times of demand (a mixture of radio communication and experience).

A very insignificant number of people purchase tram & bus tickets erroneously.

I am not prepared to go into further detail on an open forum (For what I hope are obvious reasons), however if anyone would like further detail please PM me and I will see what I can sort out. If, as I think, you're a member of LU staff, you'd be more than welcome to come along to KXX during one of my meal breaks and I'm happy to go through it in further detail still.

I am still intrigued though as to why you're singling out KXX when there are examples of much smaller stations that I've come across that aren't coping with the changes happening across the Combine. As I said in my initial post - yes, there are teething problems, but no, it is not chaos. It is to be expected when there are such wholesale changes taking place, after all.
My friend needed his railcard added to his Oyster Card last Saturday. We tried at the first station we came to, Embankment. We were helped quickly by staff but after about 10 minutes, and 4 different members of staff trying they were unable to actually add the railcard and advised a visit to the ticket office at Charing Cross instead. It was done there in less than a minute, after around 5 minutes waiting in the queue.

All staff should be gaining the ability to carry out these functions on the POMs; if they either won't or don't know how to do so I would strongly recommend getting in touch with LUL Customer Service and letting them know the location and time. The 'upgrade' is being carried out at local level and from what I've experienced some locations are better than others at ensuring the training course is being undertaken or not.

If your Oyster card is registered already the operation to add a railcard can be carried out in a maximum of five minutes. If not, it will take a little longer to do so whilst the card is registered.

It takes a similar amount of time to resolve journeys and such like on the POMs.
When I went to King's Cross to get my Gold Card added to my Oyster, a lot of people in front of me were being told about Oyster and how it would save them money, and staff also trying to explain where it would cost little more to get Oyster (with the deposit) but then mean having the card for future travel, as against buying a paper ticket. Naturally, some people needed that explaining and some people ignored or didn't understand the advice.

It was good that staff took the time, except when you're queuing!

Catch 22, this one. Educating people on how to use Oyster correctly should in theory mean that less time is spent with staff resolving journeys through errors, or working out what paper tickets to buy each day, thus freeing up staff to spend more time assisting with operations that can only be done with staff intervention, such as adding railcard discount flags.

This isn't a new problem though, and occurs at King's Cross' two remaining ticket offices, and no doubt elsewhere on the Combine. The best advice I can offer (where practical, of course) is to avoid peak times if you need to use such features, or pop your head around each of the ticket halls and simply pick the quietest.

Or, of course, if you ever see me on a gateline, give me a shout and I'll be more than happy to help if possible. As mentioned above, it's a very quick operation the majority of time.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
They did in 2007 on the plans to close 40.

I really can't see any need. There will always be teething problems with significant changes like this, and there will always be people reluctant to change, but it will all seem quite 'normal' after the initial upheaval.

infobleep

Veteran Member

If you adding a rail discount card you can't do it online. Only at stations. Perhaps you need to complain to TFL and get a refund for all the days you had to travel without any discount applied.

I've had problems in the past getting discounts added. I found Vauxhall were good but that was when there was a ticket office. Now days I go there.

leytongabriel

We're coping pretty well
..... teething problems.

Not from the MASSIVE queues I saw at Victoria LU the other day. It was like the bad old days at Heathrow. A wonderful welcome to the capital. What planet are you guys on?

Yes I do understand that systems without ticket office staff can work perfectly well, I live in Paris most of the time. But they have simpler systems and much simpler ticketing.

Meanwhile Tfl must be laughing all the way to the bank with the number of overcharged Oyster PAYG customers just giving up when they can't get it sorted out at the station.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not from the MASSIVE queues I saw at Victoria LU the other day. It was like the bad old days at Heathrow. A wonderful welcome to the capital. What planet are you guys on?
But the ticket office at Victoria hasn't closed yet. Wait until after the changes, with more staff by the machines, and more machines. TfL are also opening a Visitor Information Centre at Gatwick Airport, which will really help reduce the number of customers needing to buy a ticket at Victoria.

Meanwhile Tfl must be laughing all the way to the bank with the number of overcharged Oyster PAYG customers just giving up when they can't get it sorted out at the station.
In addition to being able to resolve, in limited number/cases, yourself online, there will be more staff avaliable to resolve journeys, and at all times the station is open.

Daniel

Established Member
What planet are you guys on?

Please don't forget that not all staff support the changes and decisions being made. Just because staff try their hardest and muddle through with the tools they have been given, doesn't mean they're happy with it. Some are though; just trying to highlight that it's not all smelling of roses staff side.

island

Veteran Member

Oyster Ticket Stops can load Railcard discounts to Oyster cards, in theory.

ScotGG

Established Member
I went to Stratford to add a rail voucher onto an oyster. The office has already shut. long queues at the machines with staff failing to help many people quickly. And of course I was unable to add my voucher to the oyster.

The queues for the NR ticket offices were crazily long - it seemed some were mistakingly going there thinking it was also a tube office.

It seemed a mess all round and I couldn't do what I needed to do. This blanket policy is wrong - it may work in 75% of places but almost everywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.