• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Everything wrong with Pacers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Just wanted to know why everyone doesn't like the Pacer for.

There are two main versions of this type of unit which were built by different manufactuers. The Class 142 version is numerically the larger fleet and the worst by far, owned by Angel Trains, with a body based on the original Leyland National bus. Some indeed are fitted with bus seats.

The Classes 143 and 144, owned by Porterbrook, with a body based on the Walter Alexander bus body.

222ben

I have only been on a 142 so can only base my judgement on that, I've been on two pacers today, one of the bus seated ones and one of the more.normal 3+2 ones. I hated the bus seated one.

Mordac

Established Member
I especially like the Merseytravel ones. Don't understand why they haven't been marketed more widely abroad. Best british train ever made.

Harbornite

Established Member
Any more?

They aren't great in crashes...

winsford_itn_02_175.jpg

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Best british train ever made.

Surely not serious? :)

gareth950

I have only been on a 142 so can only base my judgement on that, I've been on two pacers today, one of the bus seated ones and one of the more.normal 3+2 ones. I hated the bus seated one.

Is today the first time you've ever ridden on a Pacer?

Established Member
As an enthusiast I like the Pacer family units for the novelty value, but from the viewpoint of a passenger they are far too small for most of the routes they serve, the legroom isn't that great and the wheel flange noise is extremely loud. I hope the 143s and 144s find further use on the network, but I really do think the 142s (which have done extremely well, to be fair) have had their day.

Harbornite

Established Member
The Pacer represents for the British train industry the same standard of excellence the Morris Marina did for the car industry! :P

Nah, it's more equivalent to that far superior British car, the Austin Allegro! :)

I hope the 143s and 144s find further use on the network, but I really do think the 142s (which have done extremely well, to be fair) have had their day.

The whole lot needs scrapping and hopefully none will be preserved. The 141 will suffice!

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I love the pacers, as people on the forum will know... Pacers are kind of like Wayne Rooney - looks rubbish, but it gets the job done.

When they bow out of service, I shall be very upset indeed

J-2739

Established Member
Just wanted to know why everyone doesn't like the Pacer for.

Bus seated 142 are pretty nasty to ride on, but the ex-ATW ones aren't so bad inside, just a little dirty. The suspension is like a bouncy castle and those opening windows are useless on a hot, humid day. The engine is loud also, and sounds like some apocalyptical agricultural vehicle (nice sound though). They are also ugly to look at. The 144s have a nicer design, but that's that.

I don't know though. There's something in me that would make me miss the Pacers at the same time when they leave.

Last edited:

Established Member
The whole lot needs scrapping and hopefully none will be preserved. The 141 will suffice!

I can't say I agree the 143s and 144s should be scrapped, if they are brought up to DDA compliant standards they would provide extremely useful and much needed extra capacity in other parts of the network. A prime example of this is Wales, where there isn't just a shortage of capacity, but a large number of units in the fleet need DDA modifications prior to 2020. The eight 143s and twenty-three 144s that are due to be released before then could both boost the fleet size and also provide sufficient cover for the units that need to receive the DDA modifications.

If you take out the fifteen 142s from the ATW fleet and add in the 31 units mentioned above, that's an increase of sixteen units and 42 carriages.

I think despite the fact they've had their day, it would be a shame if a 142 wasn't preserved and at least one of either a 143 or 144.

J-2739

Established Member
I can't say I agree the 143s and 144s should be scrapped, if they are brought up to DDA compliant standards they would provide extremely useful and much needed extra capacity in other parts of the network. A prime example of this is Wales, where there isn't just a shortage of capacity, but a large number of units in the fleet need DDA modifications prior to 2020. The eight 143s and twenty-three 144s that are due to be released before then could both boost the fleet size and also provide sufficient cover for the units that need to receive the DDA modifications.

If you take out the fifteen 142s from the ATW fleet and add in the 31 units mentioned above, that's an increase of sixteen units and 42 carriages.

I think despite the fact they've had their day, it would be a shame if a 142 wasn't preserved and at least one of either a 143 or 144.

I don't see Wales ever getting extra Pacers even if they're kitted out for DDA. If the 230 concept still goes through and Vivarail doesn't go down under, the next Welsh franchise would probably go for them instead of the Pacers, leaving them with no home. We also have to consider if Porterbrook would go on with converting their Pacers to comply and given the shrinking market for that, I doubt they will even bat an eye.

It is a shame that Pacers didn't stay on the routes they were made for, but at least preserving one (142) will give the coming generations an insight on BR underfunded period.

Mordac

Established Member
Joking aside, I think they all should be scrapped ASAP, but I think one of each version should be preserved. Preferably a bus seated one from the 142s. They are, for better or for worse, an important part of british railway history, and as J-2739 said, a warning from history.

sciisfun

I'm quite fond of them, and they allow 4 and 6 car trains bumbling around on the Devon branch lines, and they're ok with spring tides at dawlish, unlike the 22x's

daikilo

Established Member
As an enthusiast I like the Pacer family units for the novelty value, but from the viewpoint of a passenger they are far too small for most of the routes they serve, the legroom isn't that great and the wheel flange noise is extremely loud. I hope the 143s and 144s find further use on the network, but I really do think the 142s (which have done extremely well, to be fair) have had their day.

And that is the fundamental issue, not only did they keep station-pairs open, but traffic on Pacer routes has grown. They are what they were intended to be, but have outlived their initial expectations.

History will show that the Pacer actually stopped the decline in regional and local feeder routes.

Some may not like them on jointed track, but the alternative bus, if it existed, may have been no better.

anti-pacer

Established Member
They look cheap, they are cheap, and not in fitting with a transport system that a modern, wealthy, dynamic country like ours should have.

They are awful to ride on, they screech when breaking and going round bends (Accrington viaduct anyone?), and they look ridiculous.

I can't wait to see the back of them. I'm hoping before they go to scrap that Angel Trains will let me smash one up! :lol:

Last edited:

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I love Pacers too. Best British Rail design isn't the APT or HST its the 142.
Most don't care what train comes as long as they get a seat.
The problem therefor is Pacers being used on intercity and metro routes with too low a frequency. Nout to do with the train.

Pacer haters are more vocal, it's easier to critic than praise.

prod_pep

Established Member
Enduring a ride on a 4 car Pacer set just over a week ago reminded me of everything I hate about them. I thought I was making a smart move ignoring the Merseytravel Pacer in favour of the bus seated one (142009), but the 15 minute journey felt like twice that. The woeful ride quality, the dismal acceleration and turn of speed, the disgusting stench of damp, the grim and grotty interior. Absolutely awful trains that haven't been helped by a lack of care and attention over the years.

The few rides I've had in 143s and 144s suggest they're hardly better than the 142s, so the sooner they go the better. I wouldn't go on any Pacer farewell tour if you paid me!

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Enduring a ride on a 4 car Pacer set just over a week ago reminded me of everything I hate about them. I thought I was making a smart move ignoring the Merseytravel Pacer in favour of the bus seated one (142009), but the 15 minute journey felt like twice that. The woeful ride quality, the dismal acceleration and turn of speed, the disgusting stench of damp, the grim and grotty interior. Absolutely awful trains that haven't been helped by a lack of care and attention over the years.

The few rides I've had in 143s and 144s suggest they're hardly better than the 142s, so the sooner they go the better. I wouldn't go on any Pacer farewell tour if you paid me!

Now don't you go hating my beloved 142009...!!!

I seriously do not get why people hate pacers as they are great little units. You treat a pacer like a lady, and she'll always bring you home

adam9413

I don't think they are much worse than some of the 150s used on Northern, which will be staying put.

Status
Not open for further replies.