• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Evesham-Worcester redoubling

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Planner

Veteran Member
The loops aren't just going to be 775m, they are built for the purpose of 775m class 4 container trains.

As for the Fairford branch, I can't see it being possible. Eynsham has an industrial estate and bypass built on it and it crosses the A40 Witney bypass on the flat too. Witney was built on too, so unless you had some sort of park and ride situation off the original formation at Ducklington it is just a pipe dream.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Do you have an idea what the optimum loop length required for operating a 775m train is then?

Reason I ask is that Quail vol 5 shows Wallers Ash loops on the BML as 74ch (up) and 81ch (down) - say 1500m between junctions - but I heard even these aren't long enough, because the controlling signals are well before the points.

From a layman's perspective, the gantries with the signals for movements out of the loops do seem much further away than you'd expect, is this all for overlap purposes, or is it there for something else?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Im suprised at the thought that Wallers Ash are too short, they are a seriously important bolt hole. Im not familiar of where the controlling signals are at the end of the loop. 74 chains is nigh on 1500 m so even if the signals were 2-300 metres back then there should be bags of room.

Buttsy

Established Member
As for the Fairford branch, I can't see it being possible. Eynsham has an industrial estate and bypass built on it and it crosses the A40 Witney bypass on the flat too. Witney was built on too, so unless you had some sort of park and ride situation off the original formation at Ducklington it is just a pipe dream.

If Witney is rail connected again, you'd have to use a new route because of the above. having driven down the A40 a number of times, I always saw the route coming off the OWW after the Cassington-Bladon road overbridge and serving a 'A40 parkway' station just north of Wasties garage (Tesco 24 hour). Following the A40 to the north (going to the north of Barnard's Gate), over the Witney East exit and under the Cogges road bridge by the dual carriageway before swinging into a new station by teh Windrush Lesuire Centre.

One can but dream

Last edited:

Noguidedbus

If Witney is rail connected again, you'd have to use a new route because of the above. having driven down the A40 a number of times, I always saw the route coming off the OWW after the Cassington-Bladon road overbridge and serving a 'A40 parkway' station just north of Wasties garage (Tesco 24 hour). Following the A40 to the north (going to the north of Barnard's Gate), over the Witney East exit and under the Cogges road bridge by the dual carriageway before swinging into a new station by teh Windrush Lesuire Centre.

One can but dream

Dream, maybe, but remember who the local MP is.

JEPB

Looks like the line will be ready to reopen in the morning, but still some finishing off to do here and there.

I hope all goes well anyway!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Looks like the line will be ready to reopen in the morning, but still some finishing off to do here and there.

Well the line has reopened but it looks as if Evesham signalling is not with trains permitted past red signals possibly (not confirmed) wit pilotman working. Consequently delays are reported and some diversions via Stroud.

sonic2009

Established Member

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Well the line has reopened but it looks as if Evesham signalling is not with trains permitted past red signals possibly (not confirmed) wit pilotman working. Consequently delays are reported and some diversions via Stroud.

Some trains are going via Stroud. The 0534 Hereford to Paddington, which infact started from Colwall. Ran non stop from Worcester Shrub Hill to Reading left 9mins early obviously to clear it out of the platforms, and arrived 9mins early into Paddington :)

battledroid

How's it looking round here then? I spent two weeks on nights tamping the new lines here the other week...!

Dreadnought

How's it looking round here then? I spent two weeks on nights tamping the new lines here the other week...!

Hopefully all finished and reopened as I'm on the deltic tour Saturday that is booked to travel over this line.

TheWalrus

Established Member
[/QUOTE]

Dream, maybe, but remember who the local MP is.[/QUOTE]Whos that then?

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Let us know how the fresh stuff rides..!
Went over Honeybourne station yesterday (by car) and they will still working on the line and the new bridge. All the track and signals are in place now from what I could see.

Buttsy

Established Member
Went to Worcester from Oxford on Wednesday & Thursday for the cricket and asll seemed to be going quite well apart from a 20 minute delay on Thursday on a Southbound due at Kingham at 09.58.

Looks like it was a good idea to delay the new timetable to allow things to settle down.

furryfeet

all seemed to be going quite well
until Lancs batted 2nd time around !

Perhaps they should have all gone up North and had a baby !

At least with Yorkshire drawing with Warwickshire today, it is still a three horse race for the title.

Batman

It gets looked at every so often, then dropped.

To be fair, I don't think that line actually needs re doubling. You can support an hourly Birmingham - Hereford service and an hourly London - Malvern service with two hourly extensions to Hereford on existing infrastructure.

A couple of cross overs are needed to the north of Malvern to allow extra opperating flexability when terminiation trains so that HST's on the Paddisgton service can use the turnback siding whilst local trains can turn around in the platforms.

Buttsy

Established Member
Anyone know why the Moreton-in-Marsh shorts don't stop at Ascott-Under-Wychwood and Shipton? Timings would suggest they could. It seems a waste of a new platform at Ascott that only 1 train a day uses it.

Status
Not open for further replies.