• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EWR, Universal and Wixams

mr_jrt

Established Member
The Midland mainline runs 4 tracks without gaps in between. If 2 platforms are built you can just shove the slow lines to the side. But you cannot do that if it's 4 platform. If it's 4 platform the fast lines need realigning. So this means if they go ahead without park go ahead with 2 platforms they will have demolish it and start over again. Apparently if Wixams don't spend the money they have been given they will lose it. That's what I read don't shoot me if I am wrong. Also if station build goes ahead with contingency in place you might as well do the 4 platform from start as you're doing almost all the work.
Surely you would just move the up slow out and build an island in the gap, leaving the other three lines untouched. If you later wanted to build a fast line island, you would move the down fast out as required and build the new island in the gap. No need to demolish anything?

Alternatively, if you built a central island facing the up fast and down slow and a side platform for the up slow (which would probably give a better alignment for the fasts as they could stay exactly where they are), you could later add another side platform for the down fast without demolishing anything. If you really wanted to penny pinch you could even leave the fast side of the island as just a gap (similar to what has recently been built at Dore) and build it out when you add the other side platform.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Energy

Established Member
AIUI, if the station development is cancelled now, then the entire (six million??) pounds from the developer of Wixams as Section 106 money is lost for good.
£13m of S106 and £26m from the council. I'd expect the station to have buildings on both sides of the line, one for Wixams and one for Universal, with the S106 contributions funding the Wixams building & car park and Universal/council deciding who funds the rest.
The Midland mainline runs 4 tracks without gaps in between. If 2 platforms are built you can just shove the slow lines to the side. But you cannot do that if it's 4 platform. If it's 4 platform the fast lines need realigning. So this means if they go ahead without park go ahead with 2 platforms they will have demolish it and start over again.
The current 2 platforms on the slows plan would only require 1 slow track to be moved. You could do this with 4 platforms on the slows but a platform on both slows and fasts for the EMR Corbys seems more likely.

EMR Corbys run on the fasts apart from Bedford-Bedford Jcn when running towards London.
I hope the platforms have lots of safety built in. Trains flying at 125mph through there.
125mph running at Nuneaton, Rugby, and other stations. They just need large enough platforms that people can keep away from the yellow line.
Surely you would just move the up slow out and build an island in the gap, leaving the other three lines untouched. If you later wanted to build a fast line island, you would move the down fast out as required and build the new island in the gap. No need to demolish anything?
That or move both slows, single centre island and platform either side attached to station buildings.

Is reduced two-track operation possible on the MML?

Last edited:

flitwickbeds

Does anyone have an exact coordinate/latlong/w3w of where Wixams will be built? I always understood it to be in one location (52.0832663, -0.4889023, ie just off the B530)... until a load of houses were suddenly built there!

richieb1971

Established Member
Does anyone have an exact coordinate/latlong/w3w of where Wixams will be built? I always understood it to be in one location (52.0832663, -0.4889023, ie just off the B530)... until a load of houses were suddenly built there!
Coincidentally I have a family member living a stones throw away from the track in one of the new homes. This would be a few hundred metres south of the station mark.

The track is on a 30 feet embankment at this location but I believe it becomes flatter at the station location.

It's a tad south of the B and M distribution warehouse on a brown field.

Screenshot of my own video looking at the location around 10 years ago from the nearby footbridge looking south. The station will be in this shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240420_101617.jpg
    Screenshot_20240420_101617.jpg
    760.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20240420_103752.jpg
    Screenshot_20240420_103752.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 20