• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

MP393

Sorry, though I did have the good fortune to have a Mk4 on 1W13 a couple of weeks ago.

Be great if they could just rejoin the diagrams so that it ran through Cardiff again. But it seems there are not that many of us who would be happy to see the back of the Mk4 if it meant that West Wales could be properly connected to East again.

The fact that there is not even consistency that all diagrams terminating in Cardiff during the day are because they are nominally Mk4 says it all to me. (Yes later services like the 20:30 from Manchester have always terminated at Cardiff, and likewise there are Cardiff starters in the early hours)

The Cardiff start diagram often alternates on a few weekly basis and swaps between starting on 1W11 ex Cardiff or 1W13 ex Swansea, I’m not sure when the diagram change takes place but seems to be every few weeks it’ll operate on the other turn, but until the other set comes back (HD03) and there’s only 4 diagrams, Cardiff only get one starter, Crewe two & Holyhead one

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jez

Established Member
Looking today at departures from Cardiff there are two diagrams where no MK4 is able to be provided

1W13 is a 150
1W55 is three 153s connected together
1W61 is a 150 (same diagram as 1W13)
1W23 is the three 153s again

None of that is progress. When you have to cram onto a 150 and lose time every day there is no amount of "niceness" that would make such an unreliable offering preferable.

The only thing that can be said is that at least they plan 3 153s connected together.
So many journeys still being subbed for a Sprinter is appalling!

So much for 150s and 153s not being on the Manchester services 'for much longer' that was announced during the first few months of this year!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
None of that is progress. When you have to cram onto a 150 and lose time every day there is no amount of "niceness" that would make such an unreliable offering preferable.
Yes quite. Even as someone who does prefer a MK4, I find as far as advances are concerned, it's far more of a worthy compromise to book a 197 diagram as it's considerably less likely to be a 150 these days than a MK4 is.

sd0733

Established Member
The Cardiff start diagram often alternates on a few weekly basis and swaps between starting on 1W11 ex Cardiff or 1W13 ex Swansea, I’m not sure when the diagram change takes place but seems to be every few weeks it’ll operate on the other turn, but until the other set comes back (HD03) and there’s only 4 diagrams, Cardiff only get one starter, Crewe two & Holyhead one
Seems random which ones which each week. Not quite sure the reason behind it swapping but there must be one!

Caaardiff

Todays substitutions on Manchester to Cardiff by 150, 153's or 158 are
1030 150 - Booked 3 car 197
1130 150 - Booked 2 car 197
1230 3 153's - Booked mk4
1530 158 - Booked 2 car 197
1730 150 - Booked 2 car 197
1830 158 - Booked 3 car 197

So it looks to be the main issue is 197 availability rather than mk4 availability. There's only 1 mk4 diagram that isn't a mk4.

Topological

Notwithstanding the fact that the 10:30 and 18:30 are chopped at Cardiff to allow them to be Mk4. It is only the failure to get the final Mk4 set into service that means the 10:30 and 18:30 are not "booked" Mk4. Those two are certainly pathed as Mk4.

The further hypothetical is what introduction of 197s would be like if there were no Mk4 to think about.

Im glad the 10:30 is booked 3 car 197. At least it isnt a diagram that has been altered to accommodate Mk4 but booked as 150 any more.

sd0733

Established Member
Notwithstanding the fact that the 10:30 and 18:30 are chopped at Cardiff to allow them to be Mk4. It is only the failure to get the final Mk4 set into service that means the 10:30 and 18:30 are not "booked" Mk4. Those two are certainly pathed as Mk4.

The further hypothetical is what introduction of 197s would be like if there were no Mk4 to think about.
It'll go over once the 5th car set is brought out whenever that is now!

There would be very little difference to the 197s, they're barely linked at all. There would just be an extra few diagrams guaranteed to be 15x!

The sticking point with 197s was the extremely slow acceptance a lot due to the amount of faults on them. Nothing to do with any other fleet, there's also units out of service awaiting tyre turning, again not linked to any other fleet.
Unfortunately it's not just the Mk4 introduction that's been beset by problems, it's pretty much all the fleets over the past few years, 170, 197, 230, 231, 769, Mk4, they've all had their issues.

Topological

It'll go over once the 5th car set is brought out whenever that is now!

There would be very little difference to the 197s, they're barely linked at all. There would just be an extra few diagrams guaranteed to be 15x!

The sticking point with 197s was the extremely slow acceptance a lot due to the amount of faults on them. Nothing to do with any other fleet, there's also units out of service awaiting tyre turning, again not linked to any other fleet.
Unfortunately it's not just the Mk4 introduction that's been beset by problems, it's pretty much all the fleets over the past few years, 170, 197, 230, 231, 769, Mk4, they've all had their issues.
Thanks. I do appreciate the perspective you bring.

It still hurts a bit that there was a resource trade off between 175s and 197s.

If the Mk4 are only using depots, drivers, guards etc who would otherwise have not been doing anything then I understand they are cost free. Of course if there was training that prevented the operation of normal trains then I think there is an additional cost to having Mk4. That is all not withstanding the splitting of the diagrams which seems to be purely because of Mk4 on Cardiff to Manchester.

Still maybe TfW will get the final set in service.

I still believe all efforts should be on 197 acceptance and maintenance. I appreciate on that I am probably on my own :)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Very poor.
So it looks to be the main issue is 197 availability rather than mk4 availability. There's only 1 mk4 diagram that isn't a mk4.
From my daily commutes through Cardiff Central, among close look at the allocations each day, that's become very much the exception rather than the rule these days. It is usually the MK4s substituted, and we must take into account proportions too. There are about thirty 197 diagrams, compared to only four MK4 ones.

sd0733

Established Member
Still maybe TfW will get the final set in service.

I still believe all efforts should be on 197 acceptance and maintenance. I appreciate on that I am probably on my own :)
The final set is a long way (if ever) away. It's the 5 car one which is next. Effectively there's 2 of the fleet missing which is why the (eventual) diagrams can't possibly be covered.

Yes, there's crew training which overlaps but using separate instructors but There would still be the same amount of training as only so many sets to use for 197 training. Acceptance is entirely separate as uses CAF for the majority of it and ditto with maintenance so those 2 areas don't cross at all.

I whole heartedly agree things aren't good, it's as frustrating from the inside as it is from the outside! As it stands though one fleet over another just don't affect each other.
All the 5 car Mk4 stuff is done too, mainline testing was finished in August for example so that's not affecting anything else either other than having an extra Mk4 out of service, for almost a year now, HD03 being taken out of service at the December timetable change last year!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Nope, I completely agree. I've said, even as a fan of MK4s (IC225 are my favourite British loco-hauled trains), the plans were a vanity project from the start.

Caaardiff

Nope, I completely agree. I've said, even as a fan of MK4s (IC225 are my favourite British loco-hauled trains), the plans were a vanity project from the start.
Absolutely. The Gerald service was pretty much there to provide premium service for ministers from North Wales, then someone had the bright idea that it might work on Manchester services. The idea was good. South Wales - Manchester deserves a First product as much as South Wales - London or North Wales - London. The idea that using aged Mk4's with unreliable loco's wasn't as good.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but they could have had a bunch of 5 car HST's in service years ago with a view to replacing them in the near future.

Being a vanity project it's going to be very difficult to go back on what's been implemented now. Common sense would have said to just get a bunch more 197's, improve the on board First offering and accept that the kitchen, while a lovely addition, can be done without.

With the time, effort and no doubt cost in buying the mk4's, maintaining them, training on them and cost in substitutions, reputation and money lost when they aren't in service, as i'd imagine food will be going to waste as well. The question has to be asked, are they worth it? They don't even provide a full consistent service to Manchester.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Common sense would have said to just get a bunch more 197's, improve the on board First offering and accept that the kitchen, while a lovely addition, can be done without.
Would have been far, far more of a robust, better in the long term plan.

Caaardiff

Does anyone know how much the initial Mk4 purchases cost? I remember seeing a figure but can't find it anywhere on the internet now.

sd0733

Established Member
Does anyone know how much the initial Mk4 purchases cost? I remember seeing a figure but can't find it anywhere on the internet now.
I do know the price but I'm not sure how public it is so best not to say the exact figure.
For a comparison though, all the vehicles.(8x6 vehicle sets, the spare coaches and donor coaches) were purchased for just less than the cost of a 3 car 197.

Topological

I do know the price but I'm not sure how public it is so best not to say the exact figure.
For a comparison though, all the vehicles.(8x6 vehicle sets, the spare coaches and donor coaches) were purchased for just less than the cost of a 3 car 197.
If only the vehicles had as many engines as a 3 car 197 :)

This is probably a reminder why cheaper is not always better.

Lurcheroo

If only the vehicles had as many engines as a 3 car 197 :)

This is probably a reminder why cheaper is not always better.
Ultimately the 197’s were procured when the franchise was given to Keolis-Amey. These additional MK4’s were purchased by the Welsh Gov after they took over the contract during Covid.
So in theory, there were enough 197’s ordered and these MK4’s are additional stock. Meaning either additional services can be run or 197 services can run with additional coaches.
When they were considering how to spend that money 1x3 car 197 wouldn’t make a huge difference but 7 rakes of MK4’s does.
Money isn’t infinite and it is a serious balancing act on how to spend it.

I agree with SD. It’s pretty rubbish and (internally too) frustrating at times. I still hold out hope that as we go forward both 197’s and MK4’s will settle down and be more reliable.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Ultimately the 197’s were procured when the franchise was given to Keolis-Amey. These additional MK4’s were purchased by the Welsh Gov after they took over the contract during Covid.
So in theory, there were enough 197’s ordered and these MK4’s are additional stock. Meaning either additional services can be run or 197 services can run with additional coaches.
When they were considering how to spend that money 1x3 car 197 wouldn’t make a huge difference but 7 rakes of MK4’s does.
Money isn’t infinite and it is a serious balancing act on how to spend it.

I agree with SD. It’s pretty rubbish and (internally too) frustrating at times. I still hold out hope that as we go forward both 197’s and MK4’s will settle down and be more reliable.
They stopped being additional as soon as it was decided the 170s would no longer stay and would go to EMR.

Lurcheroo

They stopped being additional as soon as it was decided the 170s would no longer stay and would go to EMR.
Is that correct ? I thought 170’s were originally staying only for HOW ? But now the 153’s are staying. So were 170’s also planned for other routes ?

On Moderation
Is that correct ? I thought 170’s were originally staying only for HOW ? But now the 153’s are staying. So were 170’s also planned for other routes ?
You don’t need 32 vehicles just for HOW. Weren’t they also for other West Wales routes?

So the change was 170s to EMR, some 153s retained for HOW, more Mark 4s in for Marches, displacing 197s for other West Wales routes.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Nah. Remember that TfW had twelve, eight of which were three-carriages. They'd never have needed that many carriages exclusively for HoW, but planned to retain all, the planned routes being Swansea - Pembroke, Cardiff/Carmarthen - Fishguard and Crewe - Swansea via HoW.

Now some 153s will do Shrewsbury - Swansea via HoW, where as Fishguard and Pembroke, plus Crewe Shrewsbury, will use 197s instead. The additional MK4s cover those 197s which were planned to run all Manchester services.

craigybagel

Established Member
170s were planned for the West Wales branches, HOWL and Crewe - Shrewsbury locals. Instead 153s are staying on HOWL and the other routes are getting 197s freed up by the extra MKIVs.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
170s were planned for the West Wales branches, HOWL and Crewe - Shrewsbury locals. Instead 153s are staying on HOWL and the other routes are getting 197s freed up by the extra MKIVs.
So the general consensus is most likely to be for many (accounting for subjectivity), downgraded plans for HOWL but upgraded for everything else. Mind you, they'll probably order 10-15 more 197/0s to bump off the 153s and 230s in a few years anyway. Here's hoping.

Speed43125

So the general consensus is most likely to be for many (accounting for subjectivity), downgraded plans for HOWL but upgraded for everything else. Mind you, they'll probably order 10-15 more 197/0s to bump off the 153s and 230s in a few years anyway. Here's hoping.
Or some sort of Bimode depending on if electrification gets anywhere.

Jez

Established Member

At least a couple of diagrams are 158s which are acceptable, its the 150s that are especially unsuitable for the long distance services.

Im disappointed to hear that one MK4 diagram, especially the only one that runs from Swansea, is not going to be a MK4 for quite some time. At least its being substituted for a 3 car 197 however, although the majority of the time its a 150 or pair of 153s

You don’t need 32 vehicles just for HOW. Weren’t they also for other West Wales routes?

So the change was 170s to EMR, some 153s retained for HOW, more Mark 4s in for Marches, displacing 197s for other West Wales routes.
i believe the 2 car 170s were meant for the HOWL as a 3 car would be wasted there. The 3 cars were going to the West Wales branch lines which would have been an upgrade on the current and now future 2 cars for these lines.

sd0733

Established Member
Mind you, they'll probably order 10-15 more 197/0s to bump off the 153s and 230s in a few years anyway. Here's hoping.
A lot of the future plans for Heart of Wales will depend on the success of the Active Travel units. If it takes off then it'll be hard to take it away again but if it doesnt then anything can replace. There's almost no way the finances for a brand new unit down there stack up, especially one with a huge bike area taking out a huge chunk of seats but once it's in and (if) a success realistically it's going to be there to stay in some form.

I'd be suprised if any further orders were for 197s in their current form though. I think that ship has long sailed, the optics of ordering of a diesel only train has moved on since the original order was made too.

craigybagel

Established Member
As you say it's pretty subjective, especially as in terms of passenger experience there isn't a great difference between a 170 and 197 other than an extra degree of modernity, but yes I'd say that's a fair summary.

On an operational level there are big benefits in terms of not needing to carry out additional route clearing or traincrew training for the 170s. Given all the work on both fronts that's gone into the 197s (which would have have to have been done even if the 170s were kept on) it definitely helps to not have to do it on another unit as well!

Lurcheroo

Nah. Remember that TfW had twelve, eight of which were three-carriages. They'd never have needed that many carriages exclusively for HoW, but planned to retain all, the planned routes being Swansea - Pembroke, Cardiff/Carmarthen - Fishguard and Crewe - Swansea via HoW.

Now some 153s will do Shrewsbury - Swansea via HoW, where as Fishguard and Pembroke, plus Crewe Shrewsbury, will use 197s instead. The additional MK4s cover those 197s which were planned to run all Manchester services.

Honestly, I had very little idea how many 170’s we had or what the plans were (I.E keep all or just keep some and what routes).

Thanks for clarifying all :)

Bikeman78

Established Member
So many journeys still being subbed for a Sprinter is appalling!

So much for 150s and 153s not being on the Manchester services 'for much longer' that was announced during the first few months of this year!
Two more days before my prediction comes true.