• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

Caaardiff

I’ve found that it is generally shown as declassified on Saturday workings. Is this just because they’re standing in for a 175 or whatever? In which case am I mistaken?
They arent regularly used on weekends. Usually only used for special events such as rugby for capcity.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GWVillager

The Mark 4 sets aren’t scheduled to operate at weekends, only Monday to Friday.
Yes exactly. When they do appear they're standing in for alternative rolling stock.

Is there actually First Class provision on the MK4 sets, other than the 0533 from Holyhead and 1716 from Cardiff?
I was answering this question, these services (and their inverses) are the only trains booked as Mark 4s, therefore other services they appear on are not planned for them, so First Class is declassified. That's what I've gathered anyway, I accept that there are others with a lot more information than me, but it seems that people have misunderstood both the question and my comments.

berneyarms

Established Member
Yes exactly. When they do appear they're standing in for alternative rolling stock.

I was answering this question, these services (and their inverses) are the only trains booked as Mark 4s, therefore other services they appear on are not planned for them, so First Class is declassified. That's what I've gathered anyway, I accept that there are others with a lot more information than me, but it seems that people have misunderstood both the question and my comments.
The questioner clearly meant whether there was first class on the other services that the Mark 4 sets are scheduled to operate, namely, Monday to Friday:

Ex-Cardiff Central: 06:45 and 11:22
Ex-Holyhead: 11:33 and 16:36

The answer is yes.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The questioner clearly meant whether there was first class on the other services that the Mark 4 sets are scheduled to operate, namely, Monday to Friday:

The answer is yes.

Precisely so :) This information is going to be very useful in the coming weeks, although in what way I will leave to everyone's imagination for now!

Will I? Won't I? Where am I going? All to be revealed, at a rough count just for 31st October there currently stand about 7 different plans o_O

GWVillager

The answer is yes.
I apologise, I assumed they were also including those services.

sd0733

Established Member
There is a ramp up of training runs from Monday to get Guards trained up on SDO so 2 ex-Grand Central sets will be out Monday-Friday until the timetable change to allow this to take place.

A Canton based set will do:
3W42 06:00 Canton to Hereford
3W43 07:36 Hereford to Canton
3W41 10:05 Canton to Hereford
3V42 11:26 Hereford to Canton

A Crewe based set will do:
3V78 10:24 Crewe-Hereford
3W79 14:32 Hereford-Crewe.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
There is a ramp up of training runs from Monday to get Guards trained up on SDO so 2 ex-Grand Central sets will be out Monday-Friday until the timetable change to allow this to take place.

A Canton based set will do:
3W42 06:00 Canton to Hereford
3W43 07:36 Hereford to Canton
3W41 10:05 Canton to Hereford
3V42 11:26 Hereford to Canton

A Crewe based set will do:
3V78 10:24 Crewe-Hereford
3W79 14:32 Hereford-Crewe.
Amazing news! I don't suppose you happen to know which sets and locos will be on these runs this week? Also any news of the first ex GC set to enter the service pool?

sd0733

Established Member
Amazing news! I don't suppose you happen to know which sets and locos will be on these runs this week? Also any news of the first ex GC set to enter the service pool?

Believe it is HD04 with 67012 at Canton and HD06 with 67025 at Crewe. The sets won't change as the other 2 SDO fitted ones (HD07 and HD08) are still at Landore but obviously the locos can change overnight quote easily.

No, afraid all seems to have gone quiet on that front. HD05 is still at Crewe and as the only non SDO fitted one that's the only one that can currently enter service.

Last edited:

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Believe it is HD04 with 67012 at Canton and HD06 with 67025 at Crewe. The sets won't change as the other 2 SDO fitted ones (HD07 and HD08) are still at Landore but obviously the locos can change overnight quote easily.

No, afraid all seems to have gone quiet on that front. HD05 is still at Crewe and as the only non SDO fitted one that's the only one that can currently enter service.
Great thanks for the news. I'm hoping 67020 makes an appearance either in service or in testing in the very near future.

sd0733

Established Member
Looks like the DVT on HD05 now has a Rememberance day wrap in a similar style to the existing DVTs.
Only happened to see it from a passing train.
Presumably there's an expectation it will be in service relatively soon to be wearing that!

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Looks like the DVT on HD05 now has a Rememberance day wrap in a similar style to the existing DVTs.
Only happened to see it from a passing train.
Presumably there's an expectation it will be in service relatively soon to be wearing that!
That will be a sight to see! Looking forward to that. Wonder whether it will conveniently enter service with 67020 as a black set with black loco?

It would appear the first set of Canton paths has not run today. Wonder whether the Crewe run will happen?

Last edited:

GWVillager

That will be a sight to see! Looking forward to that. Wonder whether it will conveniently enter service with 67020 as a black set with black loco?

It would appear the first set of Canton paths has not run today. Wonder whether the Crewe run will happen?
RTT shows that it has departed but has been held for over an hour on the way out of Canton. The Crewe run seems to be about an hour late, but it is running. This is for crew training isn't it?

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
RTT shows that it has departed but has been held for over an hour on the way out of Canton. The Crewe run seems to be about an hour late, but it is running. This is for crew training isn't it?
Ah ok I didn't notice that. Yes it is for crew training.

GWVillager

Saw HD06 on 3V78, it still had the orange stripe. Was it just HD05 they altered, and will the others be getting it removed before the replacement red (as that seems to be back)?

Last edited:

sd0733

Established Member
Saw HC06 on 3V78, it still had the orange stripe. Was it just HC05 they altered, and will the others be getting it removed before the replacement red (as that seems to be back)?
Yes it was only HD05 that had its stripe removed. Not sure what the plan is for the liveries to be honest.
Ps it's HD not C...HD standing for HolyheaD.

GWVillager

Yes it was only HD05 that had its stripe removed. Not sure what the plan is for the liveries to be honest.
Ps it's HD not C...HD standing for HolyheaD.
Oops, I meant to type D and just completely didn't notice I'd spelt it wrong. Thanks for pointing it out, I didn't know the reasoning behind it.

william.martin

On Moderation
At shrewsbury today, I saw a tfw 67 hauling a rake of grand Central stock with a 82 on the back ( carriages and 82 in grand Central livery)
does anybody know the reason behind this non- passenger service, maybe testing?

Attachments

• IMG_20221024_153952.jpg
    IMG_20221024_153952.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 195

On Moderation
At shrewsbury today, I saw a tfw 67 hauling a rake of grand Central stock with a 82 on the back ( carriages and 82 in grand Central livery)
It’s for crew training. And it’s not an 82.

Roger B

For a moment I thought perhaps they'd brough 82008 out to play once again :lol:. Bit of a long shot, that one.

anamyd

On Moderation
It’s for crew training. And it’s not an 82.
Indeed, rather a Driving Van Trailer (DVT). With class numbers only being for locomotives and units which have traction power, the 82xxx numbering on the DVTs is of course more like vehicle numbering (as in carriages and such), and of course Class 82 was given to the 1960s AL2 electric locomotives post-TOPS.

sd0733

Established Member
Yet again it does appear the first Canton to Hereford path has not run! Is there a problem with the set?
Could just be that there's nobody able to be released for training. Certainly meant to be but with being early days it's a possibility. Its definitely booked every day though.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Could just be that there's nobody able to be released for training. Certainly meant to be but with being early days it's a possibility. Its definitely booked every day though.
Thanks for the info, I had just assumed that plans were already in place to release crew for training. Hopefully it will be in full swing very soon.

sd0733

Established Member
Thanks for the info, I had just assumed that plans were already in place to release crew for training. Hopefully it will be in full swing very soon.
They are but sickness and other issues can effect what happens on the day.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Indeed, rather a Driving Van Trailer (DVT). With class numbers only being for locomotives and units which have traction power, the 82xxx numbering on the DVTs is of course more like vehicle numbering (as in carriages and such), and of course Class 82 was given to the 1960s AL2 electric locomotives post-TOPS.
The number series 8xxxx for rolling stock was for parcels / mail etc mostly with guards accommodation.
GUVs (which didn't have guards vans) were 86xxx before renumber to the 93xxx series, and the huge number of Mk1 based vehicles started at 80xxx.
The Mk3 and Mk4 DVTs simply carried the 8xxxx number series forward for parcels / mail / guards vehicles 821xx for the Mk3s and 822xx for the Mk4s.

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
From the window of my lecture I can see 67012 is currently pulling a GC rake through Cardiff Central

anamyd

On Moderation
The number series 8xxxx for rolling stock was for parcels / mail etc mostly with guards accommodation.
GUVs (which didn't have guards vans) were 86xxx before renumber to the 93xxx series, and the huge number of Mk1 based vehicles started at 80xxx.
The Mk3 and Mk4 DVTs simply carried the 8xxxx number series forward for parcels / mail / guards vehicles 821xx for the Mk3s and 822xx for the Mk4s.
That makes sense, thanks :)

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
I believe it’s staying the same. Not sure whether the ones currently in VTEC/LNER livery are going to be repainted into the black and orange too.
It's not exactly the same. Doors will go red, the orange stripe will be replaced with a red one, but logos at the end rather than in the middle. Also a red stripe along the top of the carriage I believe. The ex LNER sets will be repainted aswell.

Attachments

• IMG-20221017-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20221017-WA0004.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 179