• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Seems TfW has issued tender to maintain the mk4 sets
Also has mention of spare set HD99
"HD01 HD03 – HD07 Formations" is a funny way of putting it, and doesn't mention set HD02. Why doesn't it just say HD01-HD07; I assume HD02 is included since 7x6 (7 sets of 6 vehicles) gives the total of 42 vehicles. Assuming the mark 4 vehicles that were aquired for parts recovery have now all gone for scrap that can't be HD99, so is HD99 the new name for HD08 and the plans for three mark 4 workings each way daily between Cardiff and Holyhead have been permanently shelved?

Plasmanoodle

I can’t spot any mark 4 sets on the Manchester services today.
I’m keen to book a trip but still very reluctant given the set availability.

MP393

I can’t spot any mark 4 sets on the Manchester services today.
I’m keen to book a trip but still very reluctant given the set availability.

Today’s lack of Mk4 was a decision made to keep them away from possible disruption with the storm, if they end up out of place/stranded it can be very hard to divert or get them back correct easily due to crew knowledge & clearance.

Plasmanoodle

Today’s lack of Mk4 was a decision made to keep them away from possible disruption with the storm, if they end up out of place/stranded it can be very hard to divert or get them back correct easily due to crew knowledge & clearance.
A sensible decision. I noticed that some of them have been covered by 197s, which wouldn’t be so bad for a few-hour trip.

GWVillager

A sensible decision. I noticed that some of them have been covered by 197s, which wouldn’t be so bad for a few-hour trip.
They're much better at covering than a 150, that's for certain. However, they really must be at least 4 coaches, A Mk4 to 197/0 swap often ends in severe overcrowding.

Plasmanoodle

They're much better at covering than a 150, that's for certain. However, they really must be at least 4 coaches, A Mk4 to 197/0 swap often ends in severe overcrowding.
Agreed. But are there enough 197s to do the work they were procured for as well as covering for mark 4 sets, without short forming?

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Agreed. But are there enough 197s to do the work they were procured for as well as covering for mark 4 sets, without short forming?
When the 197s were procured the intention was for only three mark 4 sets, all of which would have been confined to Holyhead-Cardiff services (three each way per day) although at the time 170s were expected to be used on the Pembroke Dock and Fishguard services.

sd0733

Established Member
When the 197s were procured the intention was for only three mark 4 sets, all of which would have been confined to Holyhead-Cardiff services (three each way per day) although at the time 170s were expected to be used on the Pembroke Dock and Fishguard services.
The 197s eventualy will have spare capacity once fully introduced with the Mk4s running the Manchesters but they'll have to cover all the Holyheads as the current 1 train a day in each direction is planned for the long term now.

Currently though the Mk4s are struggling to cover even close to their current diagrams. There's now only 2 usable rakes (HD02 and HD07) and 3 locos, 67022, 025 and 029. Everything else is currently out of service. The plan for return to 4 diagrams this week a long forgotten memory with that availability, really the worst its ever been.

On Moderation
Currently though the Mk4s are struggling to cover even close to their current diagrams. There's now only 2 usable rakes (HD02 and HD07) and 3 locos, 67022, 025 and 029. Everything else is currently out of service. The plan for return to 4 diagrams this week a long forgotten memory with that availability, really the worst its ever been.
The whole TfW Mark 4 introduction has been an utter shambles - as far as I can tell they have missed every single target to getting quantity 'x' sets into service. Given that this is not the only TfW fleet where there has been a botched introduction, it seems pretty clear where the finger needs to be pointed.

GWVillager

The 197s eventualy will have spare capacity once fully introduced with the Mk4s running the Manchesters but they'll have to cover all the Holyheads as the current 1 train a day in each direction is planned for the long term now.

What happened to HD01, and 04-06? I thought at least some of them were in action.

sd0733

Established Member
What happened to HD01, and 04-06? I thought at least some of them were in action.
01 is currently at Canton but can't be used due to the shortage of locos otherwise there's not a Rescue loco in the south, 04 is on tyre turning, 05 at Crewe with no loco and 06 having repairs at Canton after previously giving some parts to get 05 out the other day, it also has no loco.

67010 went to the ETD from Crewe Cs today and 67014+015 are going tomorrow for repairs so hopefully those will be back fairly soon.

Western 52

The reliability of the 67s appears to be quite shocking most of the time! I'm surprised TfW keep going with this project. I work with IT systems- we'd not tolerate that level of downtime! Are there any stats available for these locos?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
That’s appalling. I don’t know why Transport for Wales struggle so badly to provide available stock. The 175s ended up the same.

Richard Scott

Established Member
That’s appalling. I don’t know why Transport for Wales struggle so badly to provide available stock. The 175s ended up the same.
Wouldn't be surprised if relative lack of use of the 67s hasn't helped; many spent some periods in store then got running again. Have they ever had any major work done on them?
Appreciate the mk4s have been a bit of a trial too but maybe part of it is fitters getting to know them?
Both purely speculation on my part.

Richard Scott

Established Member
I'm sure they'll get on top of the Mk4 reliability as staff become more familiar with them. Don't want another example of the tradition of just as they start getting things to work properly they give up.

Plodster

The three trains a day to Holyhead have slipped quietly off the timetable leaving just V91 and W96

Shame the additional set couldn’t be commissioned….

HD08 Coaches reported going to Bristol the other week and the tender speaking of HD99 coming into service soon

sd0733

Established Member
Tonight's 1W96 17:23 Cardiff to Holyhead should be a Mk4 to provide extra capacity as well as get a set to Holyhead for Monday morning.

Should then be back to 3 on Monday with one set coming off each of Crewe, Cardiff and Holyhead.

Yes
The three trains a day to Holyhead have slipped quietly off the timetable leaving just V91 and W96
Shame the additional set couldn’t be commissioned….

HD08 Coaches reported going to Bristol the other week and the tender speaking of HD99 coming into service soon
The Holyheads aren't planned to come back. With the poor patronage of 1st class on the daytime Holyheads there's no real case for them to be Mk4s. First on the Manchesters are profitable, the Holyheads lost a fortune

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder that this is an updates thread for what is actually happening; people are welcome to post rumours, ideas/suggestions and any other forms of speculation but we do ask that these are posted in the Speculative Discussion section please.

Thanks! :)

sd0733

Established Member
Alas looks like only HD02 is out today, unless the data is wrong? Wonder what happened to the other sets.

[first post on the forum, hello all]
Welcome to the Forum!

Yes, the plans changed over the weekend with 1 off Holyhead and 2 off Crewe, unfortunately neither set made it of Crewe last night so HD02 is only one running.
Always seems things can't get worse...then they do.

HD02 is also on its last day out for a while stopping at Crewe tonight for an exam. HD01 is also on exam at Canton

HD05 and HD07 should enter service tomorrow on the Crewe starts after exams on 67010 and 022 respectively today but there's no Cardiff or Holyhead starts tomorrow

Last edited:

ajay1071

I think it's time to get HD08 into service ASAP, at least it will alleviate the issue of none availability of the MK4's due to exams and maintenance routines. I know there are still issues with class 67 reliability but another set of MK's can only improve the already struggling service.

sd0733

Established Member
I think it's time to get HD08 into service ASAP, at least it will alleviate the issue of none availability of the MK4's due to exams and maintenance routines. I know there are still issues with class 67 reliability but another set of MK's can only improve the already struggling service.
Until loco availability is better HD08 won't make much difference, set availability isn't a huge problem. Its locos.
The lack of locos impacts exams and work on sets too as they can't be powered up. Getting HD03 out would help but again that's being delayed by lack of locos.

Lurcheroo

Until loco availability is better HD08 won't make much difference, set availability isn't a huge problem. Its locos.
The lack of locos impacts exams and work on sets too as they can't be powered up. Getting HD03 out would help but again that's being delayed by lack of locos.
Any idea what is ‘ailing’ the 67’s ?
And do you think there’ll be any sign of improvement ?
These are genuinely some of my favourite trains to travel on and it’d be a great shame to see the MK4 project get canned because it became more hassle than it’s worth.

Also here’s 67020 (I believe) on a light loco move from Crewe to Canton earlier, held just before Shrewsbury at Crewe junction.

Attachments

• IMG_9851.jpeg
    IMG_9851.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 84

sd0733

Established Member
Any idea what is ‘ailing’ the 67’s ?
And do you think there’ll be any sign of improvement ?
These are genuinely some of my favourite trains to travel on and it’d be a great shame to see the MK4 project get canned because it became more hassle than it’s worth.

Also here’s 67020 (I believe) on a light loco move from Crewe to Canton earlier, held just before Shrewsbury at Crewe junction.
Not totally sure in all honesty. 67013 is still at Hereford but most of the others are back with DB.
There is another loco being Modded so hopefully that will improve things slightly but things have a very long way back to get some sort of reliable operation running.
Yes, 020 has now gone down to Canton and should be put HD04 enabling that to re-enter service.

Newp410

Not totally sure in all honesty. 67013 is still at Hereford but most of the others are back with DB.
There is another loco being Modded so hopefully that will improve things slightly but things have a very long way back to get some sort of reliable operation running.
Yes, 020 has now gone down to Canton and should be put HD04 enabling that to re-enter service.
016 undergoing interlock mods at Crewe, 028 was also looked at as a possible candidate.

GWVillager

Is there any idea when and how 67013 will leave Hereford?