• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lurcheroo

Not totally sure in all honesty. 67013 is still at Hereford but most of the others are back with DB.
There is another loco being Modded so hopefully that will improve things slightly but things have a very long way back to get some sort of reliable operation running.
Yes, 020 has now gone down to Canton and should be put HD04 enabling that to re-enter service.
Ahh ok, well good to hear some progress is going at least.

ajay1071

Until loco availability is better HD08 won't make much difference, set availability isn't a huge problem. Its locos.
The lack of locos impacts exams and work on sets too as they can't be powered up. Getting HD03 out would help but again that's being delayed by lack of locos.
Not to sure about that as there have been many instances of MK4 substitution due to exam and maintenance routines only, so an extra set will improve overall ability and resources to provide a MK4 service. I did mention the 67 issues in my post and I know if the other set was introduced it wouldn't be a cure-all solution but as the saying goes 'every little helps'.

sd0733

Established Member
Not to sure about that as there have been many instances of MK4 substitution due to exam and maintenance routines only, so an extra set will improve overall ability and resources to provide a MK4 service. I did mention the 67 issues in my post and I know if the other set was introduced it wouldn't be a cure-all solution but as the saying goes 'every little helps'.
There has lots of it boils down to loco availability.
Sets on exams are having extremely protracted exams due to having to work round loco availability.
Whilst there's so many sets not in use, adding another to the mix can cause stabling problems too as each depot reaches capacity.

I happen to agree through, long term I do think HD08 would be useful but the current problems it wouldn't mean any more in service, getting 67016 as per post #3328 will be more helpful.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Thanks for the confirmation on 016 being modded. Do we know if it will get a repaint before starting with the sets, as it's still in a very shabby EWS livery? Not necessarily a TfW livery of course, but a tidy up would be nice.

sd0733

Established Member
A few locos seem to be making their way back into the fleet now.
67015, 025, 020, 010, 029, 022 now on HD01/02/04-07 respectively and non-modded 67005 and 028 acting as the rescue locos so there should be back to a full 4 set service tomorrow (hopefully)

GWVillager

A few locos seem to be making their way back into the fleet now.
67015, 025, 020, 010, 029, 022 now on HD01/02/04-07 respectively and non-modded 67005 and 028 acting as the rescue locos so there should be back to a full 4 set service tomorrow (hopefully)
Wow, that was quick. Good idea to use non-modded locos as rescue engines too.

sd0733

Established Member
Wow, that was quick. Good idea to use non-modded locos as rescue engines too.
Hopefully they last a bit longer than last time!
It does take the pressure off the rest of the fleet whilst the additional one is modified.

sd0733

Established Member
With the final LNER IC225s being withdrawn, will TfW be investigating their procurement?
I'd think a lot of any thoughts of increasing the fleet would depend on how they're performing between now and then, if HD08 doesn't materialise the odds of getting more would seem slim.

Might be useful for spare parts although there's some parts being changed soon on the tfw sets which limits their use even for that.

ajay1071

With the final LNER IC225s being withdrawn, will TfW be investigating their procurement?
It would be beneficial to the Cardiff/Swansea Manchester/Holyhead corridor if more services were operated by MK4 stock, they offer a much more pleasant travel experience when it comes to passenger comfort/environment especially on the longer distance journeys. Alas the issue remains with availability and reliability of the class 67's hopefully that will improve (time for DB to pull their finger out) so the MK4 services can become more dependable as the hit or miss provision is not acceptable. That being said now the 197's are coming more prevalent on the marches corridor it has made a better/reliable passenger experience, but not to the same standard as the MK4 services.

GWVillager

Where would they use them (electric locomotives)? Might take more Mk4s though.
I meant the Mk4s.

It would be beneficial to the Cardiff/Swansea Manchester/Holyhead corridor if more services were operated by MK4 stock, they offer a much more pleasant travel experience when it comes to passenger comfort/environment especially on the longer distance journeys. Alas the issue remains with availability and reliability of the class 67's hopefully that will improve (time for DB to pull their finger out) so the MK4 services can become more dependable as the hit or miss provision is not acceptable. That being said now the 197's are coming more prevalent on the marches corridor it has made a better/reliable passenger experience, but not to the same standard as the MK4 services.
Well yes, the LNER sets would allow all Manchester to South Wales services to be Mk4s, delivering much needed consistency. The CAF intercity stock would make sense but I don’t think it’ll come to much with the Welsh Government’s financial situation.

sd0733

Established Member
1030, 1230, and 1430 off Manchester all Mk4s today - definitely an improvement. Nothing off Crewe though?
HD06 wasn't ready in time so it was decided to send HD05 onto 1V50 yesterday to get it to Canton for this morning so that diagram ran rather than the second Crewe start.
All of HD04-07 should be out tomorrow on the 4 booked diagrams if it goes to plan.

67008 should be back from an exam on Saturday, going onto HD02 instead of 025 so at least they're coming back to a full fleet now.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just a gentle reminder that discussion in this thread should be confined to updates about the introduction of Mk4 sets on TfW.

If anyone wants to discuss anything else then they are welcome to start a new thread elsewhere.

A speculative thread regarding possible replacements for these sets can be found here:

Richard Scott

Established Member
67020 left Newport around 16.15 today for Manchester, looks like 5th coach can't come soon enough as was packed to standing. A few people in first class but probably no more than 10; not bad for a Sunday I expect?
The following train to Manchester at 16.55 was a 150 and totally rammed!

Lurcheroo

4 sets out again today.
67010 on set 2
67915 on set 1
67020 on set 4
67029 on set 6

There were 2 out yesterday, 3 Saturday and 4 Friday.

I’m glad to see they’re getting out a bit more reliably. Fingers crossed they can get the 5th diagram running and then once they all have 5 coaches it’ll be great.

sd0733

Established Member
4 sets out again today.
67010 on set 2
67915 on set 1
67020 on set 4
67029 on set 6

There were 2 out yesterday, 3 Saturday and 4 Friday.

I’m glad to see they’re getting out a bit more reliably. Fingers crossed they can get the 5th diagram running and then once they all have 5 coaches it’ll be great.
It does seem to have settled somewhat from the abysmal figures over the last few weeks.

The 5th diagram is incredibly unlilely to happen until HD03 is in service. 5 diagrams for 6 sets would be a tad unrealistic.

All the 5th coaches are now in Crewe ready to be prepared for use. Once final approval is received and HD03 enters service once each set reaches its next exam it's TO will be added. This keeps sets out of service to a minimum and also balances the exam miles across each set, or at least that's the plan!

Lurcheroo

It does seem to have settled somewhat from the abysmal figures over the last few weeks.

The 5th diagram is incredibly unlilely to happen until HD03 is in service. 5 diagrams for 6 sets would be a tad unrealistic.

All the 5th coaches are now in Crewe ready to be prepared for use. Once final approval is received and HD03 enters service once each set reaches its next exam it's TO will be added. This keeps sets out of service to a minimum and also balances the exam miles across each set, or at least that's the plan!
Yeah that’s fair, I’d rather see a consistent 4 then trying to run 5 before it’s viable and upsetting everything.

Are they thinking HD03 will be signed off this month ?

sd0733

Established Member
Are they thinking HD03 will be signed off this month ?
It was planned to be but the lack of locos set things back somewhat as some of the work couldn't be done with no power so I'm not totally sure where things are upto now.

Lurcheroo

It was planned to be but the lack of locos set things back somewhat as some of the work couldn't be done with no power so I'm not totally sure where things are upto now.
Fair enough. Will just have to be patient and wait then