• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

D6130

Established Member
There must have been a good reason at the time for changing to 67s- higher top speed? Is there anywhere on the route to exploit this?
When the 'Gerald' was first introduced in December 2008, the maximum permitted speed on any part of the route was 90 mph. The introduction of the class 67s permitted an improvement in hill-climbing performance on the steeper gradients, such as Abergavenny-Llanfihangel (Northbound) and Rossett-Gresford (Southbound). Now that they are now being used with Mk 4 stock on some of the Manchester services, they can exploit the 110 mph line speed between Sandbach and Stockport.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sd0733

Established Member
There must have been a good reason at the time for changing to 67s- higher top speed? Is there anywhere on the route to exploit this?
The 67s were introduced when the Mk3s went push pull, prior to that they ran top and tail. Unless the 57s could be made to Work push pull and with Mk4 stock including bell-buzzer and crew-loco communications then its a non starter, even ignoring the top speed.

The comparison to the Night Riviera is a totally different type of work with just 1 one way trip a day compared to 800 mile diagrams for the 67s with both start-stop and high speed 110mph running on the same diagrams.

The chances of any loco swaps at this point are slim but those to anything older, slower and not modified to work on the stock their hauling is almost nil.

craigybagel

Established Member
would the class 57 be suitable, and if so, are there sufficient going about that could be pressed into service? They seem to do alright on the Night Riviera sleepers.
On the Night Riviera they're working one very generously timed service a day, it's not a particularly taxing life. I suspect if they were on the TfW diagrams day in day out they'd find things a lot harder.
I wasn't aware of that. Reintroducing 57s would mean admitting defeat, something government departments never do.

When the 'Gerald' was first introduced in December 2008, the maximum permitted speed on any part of the route was 90 mph. The introduction of the class 67s permitted an improvement in hill-climbing performance on the steeper gradients, such as Abergavenny-Llanfihangel (Northbound) and Rossett-Gresford (Southbound). Now that they are now being used with Mk 4 stock on some of the Manchester services, they can exploit the 110 mph line speed between Sandbach and Stockport.
I'm pretty sure that when it was worked with MKIIs they were limited by breaking capabilities to 75mph anyway. Switching to MKIIIs and 67s increased the maximum permitted speed to 110 - there was nowhere on the Cardiff - Holyhead route they could get over 90, but they did occasionally hit 110 when the formation needed turning and was sent Crewe - Warrington - Manchester - Crewe. Now with the MKIVs they have regular booked work to Manchester and can reach those speeds daily.

Last edited:

gingertom

Established Member
On the Night Riviera they're working one very generously timed service a day, it's not a particularly taxing life. I suspect if they were on the TfW diagrams day in day out they'd find things a lot harder.

I'm pretty sure that when it was worked with MKIIs they were limited by breaking capabilities to 75mph anyway. Switching to MKIIIs and 67s increased the maximum permitted speed to 110 - there was nowhere on the Cardiff - Holyhead route they could get over 90, but they did occasionally hit 110 when the formation needed turning and was sent Crewe - Warrington - Manchester - Crewe. Now with the MKIVs they have regular booked work to Manchester and can reach those speeds daily.
so the 67s really need to have some major tlc to get them running reliably again as nothing else comes near it.

On Moderation
so the 67s really need to have some major tlc to get them running reliably again as nothing else comes near it.
It’s not major TLC. Just DB doing basic maintenance with the requisite attention to detail.

GWVillager

would the class 57 be suitable, and if so, are there sufficient going about that could be pressed into service? They seem to do alright on the Night Riviera sleepers.
Even with their more relaxed workings, though, there are still more issues with the 57s than could be hoped for - it’s not unheard of for the Night Riviera stock to be substituted by an 80X. GWR are looking to replace them in the medium term as a result.

craigybagel

Established Member
A 68 would be better in pretty much every way - except it would require a lot of money spending on mods and training.
However superior acceleration would more than compensate for lack of 110mph ability.
110mph isn't really needed unless running late anyway. It only effects the Crewe - Wilmslow stretch and it's very generously timed. And before anyone asks, no there's no point tightening the times, there just aren't the paths.

The 67s were introduced when the Mk3s went push pull, prior to that they ran top and tail. Unless the 57s could be made to Work push pull and with Mk4 stock including bell-buzzer and crew-loco communications then its a non starter, even ignoring the top speed.

The comparison to the Night Riviera is a totally different type of work with just 1 one way trip a day compared to 800 mile diagrams for the 67s with both start-stop and high speed 110mph running on the same diagrams.

The chances of any loco swaps at this point are slim but those to anything older, slower and not modified to work on the stock they’re hauling is almost nil.
It wasn’t top n tail with 57s. The trains were booked via Crewe in those days to avoid reversal at Chester. 67s and Mk3s enabled them to go push-pull and run via Wrexham, thus serving more Welsh towns.

sd0733

Established Member
It wasn’t top n tail with 57s. The trains were booked via Crewe in those days to avoid reversal at Chester. 67s and Mk3s enabled them to go push-pull and run via Wrexham, thus serving more Welsh towns.
Thought they'd been diverted via Wrexham whilst still 57s but obviously mis-remembered that.

snail

Established Member
67022 + HD02 were swapped onto 1W19 / 1V50 as they ended up at Canton yesterday vice Crewe. HD04 & HD07 the other two sets out.
I was on HD02 on Sunday from Manchester until it failed at Abergavenny with a door release problem. Took an hour and more to shift it minus passengers, who had to get the following 197 service.

Returning today advance first on HD04. A much nicer set.

krus_aragon

Established Member

The early services were indeed top-and-tailed with 57s; the reason for avoiding Wrexham initially was a lack of paths from NR to get to Cardiff before 10am. Images at http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nw0812e.htm show 57313 and 57314 at either end of the rake.

From recollection, Arriva later dropped down to a single 57 while they were stuck with the Crewe routing, and then swapped to 67s before they started going via Wrexham. (Having said that, it seems they were still top-and-tail 57s in December 2011, per http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nw1112b.htm .)

Envoy

Established Member
I was on HD02 on Sunday from Manchester until it failed at Abergavenny with a door release problem. Took an hour and more to shift it minus passengers, who had to get the following 197 service.

Why would they spend an hour at Abergavenny trying to offload the passengers who then would have been a double load on the 197? Surely, most passengers were heading for Newport & Cardiff? Could they not have pressed on south and then off loaded the passengers?

sd0733

Established Member
Why would they spend an hour at Abergavenny trying to offload the passengers who then would have been a double load on the 197? Surely, most passengers were heading for Newport & Cardiff? Could they not have pressed on south and then off loaded the passengers?
No, the way the fault was dealt with necessitated all the doors being locked therefore passengers can't be carried as there's no way off the train.
It wasn't a door release fault, it was an integrity system fault and the usual 1 coach isolation didn't work.

Envoy

Established Member
No, the way the fault was dealt with necessitated all the doors being locked therefore passengers can't be carried as there's no way off the train.
It wasn't a door release fault, it was an integrity system fault and the usual 1 coach isolation didn't work.
Many thanks for speedy response.

The trouble with these 67’s and Mk 4’s goes on and on.

aar0

1W55, the 0849 Cardiff- Manchester has just changed from a Mk4 set to a two coach 197. Looks like I’ll be hungry…

sd0733

Established Member
1W55, the 0849 Cardiff- Manchester has just changed from a Mk4 set to a two coach 197. Looks like I’ll be hungry…
That diagram hasn't been planned to run all week. There's only 3 sets with HD01 and 03 on exams/extended and HD05+06 both tyre turning that diagram has been uncovered.

aar0

That diagram hasn't been planned to run all week. There's only 3 sets with HD01 and 03 on exams/extended and HD05+06 both tyre turning that diagram has been uncovered.
Ah ok. I saw it didn’t run yesterday but it was still showing as having first class when I checked at 0630 (joining it from Swansea). Fingers crossed the 1630 from Manchester tomorrow is running!

sd0733

Established Member
Ah ok. I saw it didn’t run yesterday but it was still showing as having first class when I checked at 0630 (joining it from Swansea). Fingers crossed the 1630 from Manchester tomorrow is running!
Unfortunately the systems don't update in accordance with the plans when there's no set. Would be nice if it could really.
Tomorrow the 1630 is planned HD02 so should have more luck with that one.

sd0733

Established Member
How many sets have been lengthened to 5-cars?
1 (HD03) which hasn't been in service for over a year with HD01 currently at Crewe being done.

Of the other sets now, HD06 should be back out tomorrow after tyre turning at Canton, starting in Cardiff at 08:49 so the 04:54 from Crewe will be a unit but other than that train there should be 4 diagrams out then. HD05 should return on Friday enabling HD02 to stop at Canton for a scheduled exam on 67022 but still enabling 4 full diagrams to run using HD04-07.

Newp410

No set came down this morning as 1V31 was cancelled.

Hoping as there are 4 sets out towards the end of the week that 1W56 next Sunday will be ok.

GWVillager

1 (HD03) which hasn't been in service for over a year with HD01 currently at Crewe being done.

Of the other sets now, HD06 should be back out tomorrow after tyre turning at Canton, starting in Cardiff at 08:49 so the 04:54 from Crewe will be a unit but other than that train there should be 4 diagrams out then. HD05 should return on Friday enabling HD02 to stop at Canton for a scheduled exam on 67022 but still enabling 4 full diagrams to run using HD04-07.
Slightly irrelevant, but HD06 certainly needed that tyre turning! There was a huge wheel flat when I went on it last week, possibly the worst I’ve ever seen. Do you know what caused it?

sd0733

Established Member
Slightly irrelevant, but HD06 certainly needed that tyre turning! There was a huge wheel flat when I went on it last week, possibly the worst I’ve ever seen. Do you know what caused it?
It had had at least one for quite a while which progressively got worse while waiting for a slot on the lathe but it did end up getting a lot worse.
It'll have likely been a wheel locked up under braking at some point but can't be any more detailed or certain than that I'm afraid. A few sets have had trips through the lathe recently so hopefully now the worst of leaf fall season is over they shouldn't need too many visits in the upcoming months!

Iskra

Established Member

The best UK service train interior Ive come across for some time :)

Thanks for this info, very useful.

I managed the 1430 service off Manchester today and tried the dining- it was nice! Heading for the Premier service now Northbound.

Thought they'd been diverted via Wrexham whilst still 57s but obviously mis-remembered that.
No, it was after the Mk3s started. 67s actually worked with the Mk2s for a short while.

The early services were indeed top-and-tailed with 57s; the reason for avoiding Wrexham initially was a lack of paths from NR to get to Cardiff before 10am. Images at http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nw0812e.htm show 57313 and 57314 at either end of the rake.

From recollection, Arriva later dropped down to a single 57 while they were stuck with the Crewe routing, and then swapped to 67s before they started going via Wrexham. (Having said that, it seems they were still top-and-tail 57s in December 2011, per http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nw1112b.htm .)
There may have been a few occasions when they ran top n tail but it was not the norm (usually to allow running via Wrexham, from memory). A search of Flickr shows more instances of pairs with the vast majority of trains solo.

Last edited:

sd0733

Established Member
Of the other sets now, HD06 should be back out tomorrow after tyre turning at Canton, starting in Cardiff at 08:49 so the 04:54 from Crewe will be a unit but other than that train there should be 4 diagrams out then. HD05 should return on Friday enabling HD02 to stop at Canton for a scheduled exam on 67022 but still enabling 4 full diagrams to run using HDHD04-07.
The 0849 from Cardiff and 1230 from Manchester ran as a 197 rather than the planned HD06 but it should still be out later working the end of the diagram, the 1649 from Cardiff to Get back to 4 sets running from then instead of this morning.

HD05 won't be ready tomorrow due to the delay in HD06. Hopefully the loco exam can be completed overnight on 67022 in order for HD02 to run tomorrow and keep 4 sets out.

Last edited: