• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

Jez

Established Member
We’re very often not privy to the information as to why it’s short formed. We get to the platform for our train and a 2 car turns up. We then know it’s going to be very busy due to the lack of coaches and our focus is on what we can for the passengers on our service at that time.
Personally then, I would make the announcements regarding the short forming, saying that I expect the service to be very busy and ask people to remove bags and such from seats. If it’s not already to the point I can’t walk through then I would go through, enforce that (and I have had people seriously unhappy about me asking to move bags off seats, it’s insane how selfish some people can be), and, as I worked 158’s only, I would also make sure any vestibule doors were Isolated in the open position and windows open as the A/C was terrible and it would be incredibly hot and sweaty with a F+S 2 car even in winter.
To be fair i totally agree with the guard for asking people to remove bags etc and doing it over the tannoy is easier before the train departs as it picked up a lot of passengers at Newport when almost every seat was taken But I think comments such as 'seats are for passengers not bags' and 'you can put your bags on the overhead luggage racks or on your laps' is not really necessary, i think people would know where to store their bags/luggage properly!

It just would be nice for customers to be kept in the loop about why the booked traction isnt on the service including the first class.

A few times previously I have asked someone to move a bag so i can sit down, i dont get why some people think they are entitled to a double seat to themselves!

To be fair, if the weather gets as bad as expected tonight it might get sent home to bed early. They don't like having the locos out of there's a lot of disruption around.
Thats understandable as there is limited options to rescue them. And it is supposed to get bad later on.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sd0733

Established Member
For those interested in the whereabouts of the 5 car it's planned to start the 3 day triangle of diagrams tomorrow so if all goes to plan it will do:

Mon
06:27 Manchester to Cardiff
12:49 Cardiff to Manchester
16:30 Manchester to Swansea

Tues
04:35 Cardiff to Manchester
08:30 Manchester to Cardiff
17:14 Cardiff to Holyhead

Weds
05:30 Holyhead to Cardiff
10:52 Cardiff to Manchester
14:30 Manchester to Cardiff
18:55 Cardiff to Manchester

Lurcheroo

To be fair i totally agree with the guard for asking people to remove bags etc and doing it over the tannoy is easier before the train departs as it picked up a lot of passengers at Newport when almost every seat was taken But I think comments such as 'seats are for passengers not bags' and 'you can put your bags on the overhead luggage racks or on your laps' is not really necessary, i think people would know where to store their bags/luggage properly!
A few times previously I have asked someone to move a bag so i can sit down, i dont get why some people think they are entitled to a double seat to themselves!

Haha yeah I do agree there ! I used to use phrases such as “please ensure any items of luggage are stored either in the provided luagage racks or overhead compartment so that all seats are available for passengers to sit in” for PA’s and when I went through the train I’d just politely say to anyone who had something on a seat “would you mind popping that on the floor in the overhead for me” and 99% of people would be more than happy and it was more just a case of they’d got on, been happy to find a seat and not thought about it too much. The 1% were a different kettle of fish. I had 2 rather well built blokes arguing with me (and I don’t look like I’d win a fight against many people :'() about the shoppings bags they had on the 2 seats next to them at a table. Telling me how expensive the stuff they bought was and they weren’t willing to leave it unattended. They were the only 2 seats without passengers in and after about 3 or 4 minutes I just said “gents, I’m only asking you to keep it on your laps or on the table so people can use the seats, I’m not asking much of you, but I’ll leave it with you as I have other things I need to do” when I came back past they’d begrudgingly made the seats available and I thanked them and I said I appreciated it, just to be met some sarcastic response to which I ignored and carried on with what I was doing.

I know some guards are far to sarcastic and ‘arsey’ with people, but I tell you, the job really can make you that way after a while. It’s no excuse, I didn’t allow it to make me like that(99% of the time anyway) but easy to see how it does for others.

It just would be nice for customers to be kept in the loop about why the booked traction isnt on the service including the first class.
I’m the same, I like to know and passengers often ask too so I like to be able to give them a truthful answer but sometimes a guess was the best I could do haha!

Leeds1970

when i used to go to Scotland a lot in the late 1980s, Inverness guards would make an announcement about isles etc being clear of bags and on more than one occasion saw guards go along the train and remove suitcases/bags etc from train on to the platform to get the massage across

Jez

Established Member
For those interested in the whereabouts of the 5 car it's planned to start the 3 day triangle of diagrams tomorrow so if all goes to plan it will do:

Mon
06:27 Manchester to Cardiff
12:49 Cardiff to Manchester
16:30 Manchester to Swansea

Tues
04:35 Cardiff to Manchester
08:30 Manchester to Cardiff
17:14 Cardiff to Holyhead

Weds
05:30 Holyhead to Cardiff
10:52 Cardiff to Manchester
14:30 Manchester to Cardiff
18:55 Cardiff to Manchester
Thanks for posting these.

Haha yeah I do agree there ! I used to use phrases such as “please ensure any items of luggage are stored either in the provided luagage racks or overhead compartment so that all seats are available for passengers to sit in” for PA’s and when I went through the train I’d just politely say to anyone who had something on a seat “would you mind popping that on the floor in the overhead for me” and 99% of people would be more than happy and it was more just a case of they’d got on, been happy to find a seat and not thought about it too much. The 1% were a different kettle of fish. I had 2 rather well built blokes arguing with me (and I don’t look like I’d win a fight against many people :'() about the shoppings bags they had on the 2 seats next to them at a table. Telling me how expensive the stuff they bought was and they weren’t willing to leave it unattended. They were the only 2 seats without passengers in and after about 3 or 4 minutes I just said “gents, I’m only asking you to keep it on your laps or on the table so people can use the seats, I’m not asking much of you, but I’ll leave it with you as I have other things I need to do” when I came back past they’d begrudgingly made the seats available and I thanked them and I said I appreciated it, just to be met some sarcastic response to which I ignored and carried on with what I was doing.

I know some guards are far to sarcastic and ‘arsey’ with people, but I tell you, the job really can make you that way after a while. It’s no excuse, I didn’t allow it to make me like that(99% of the time anyway) but easy to see how it does for others.
That would have infuriated me greatly especially if they had been asked politely a few times to remove the bags so people could sit down.

Northerngirl

Good to see the 5 car finally getting going, shame the Holyhead runs aren't the greatest time to see in the daylight

sd0733

Established Member
I think 67008 failed again right out of Cardiff... feels oddly familiar to last time.

It has. 1st time out since the other day and it's not even made it as far as last time.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
I think 67008 failed again right out of Cardiff... feels oddly familiar to last time.

It’s failed at platform it looks like. Lights out on the coaches.

sd0733

Established Member
It’s failed at platform it looks like. Lights out on the coaches.
It started going but as it never even got out the platform were able to de-train.
It's been got back up and running to (hopefully) make it to Canton.

JakeMurphy

Looks to have made it safely back.

Not too sure other than power issues. Believe the engine shut itself down which is what it seems its done again.
Dear me..

It now seems like 1W96 has issues in the Moreton on Lugg area too.

sd0733

Established Member
Dear me..

It now seems like 1W96 has issues in the Moreton on Lugg area too.
Was at Hereford. Train Supply issues but that one looks to have been resolved with a reset.
Not a successful couple of hours at all.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
67029 and the five car set have left Central really rather late for Swansea as the replacement guard didn’t bother to show up, but on the bright side it looks very capacious and although the VTEC livery is now in a dreadful state, I’m sure it was a welcome environment for many.

Anonymous10

Established Member
67029 and the five car set have left Central really rather late for Swansea as the replacement guard didn’t bother to show up, but on the bright side it looks very capacious and although the VTEC livery is now in a dreadful state, I’m sure it was a welcome environment for many.
It only picked up 10 further minutes at Cardiff was already 15 down on arrival. Guard could have been late due to disruption.

MP393

Knock on effect from a late running Maesteg arrival and then the need for a break unfortunately caused that late departure rather than “not bothering to show up”

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Knock on effect from a late running Maesteg arrival and then the need for a break unfortunately caused that late departure rather than “not bothering to show up”
Station staff’s words, not mine. That’s not the point though. The point I was making was that even when the trains are working for once, services through Cardiff are still constantly being disrupted for one reason or the other. It’s constant bad luck.

God, it didn’t half look tatty though. I hope they get it in all white paint with red doors soon.

sd0733

Established Member
God, it didn’t half look tatty though. I hope they get it in all white paint with red doors soon.
They do look pretty scruffy to be honest now. As I understand it the B exams are being used to lengthen and the next big one, the C exam will include door overhauls, repaints etc.
From everything I've seen and heard though the won't be coming back white and red, I believe the livery will be very similar to that on 67020/022 across the coaches.

NigelRail

They do look pretty scruffy to be honest now. As I understand it the B exams are being used to lengthen and the next big one, the C exam will include door overhauls, repaints etc.
From everything I've seen and heard though the won't be coming back white and red, I believe the livery will be very similar to that on 67020/022 across the coaches.
So HD01-03 will go black?

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Station staff’s words, not mine. That’s not the point though. The point I was making was that even when the trains are working for once, services through Cardiff are still constantly being disrupted for one reason or the other. It’s constant bad luck.

It is the point though when your original post attributes the late departure incorrectly to a guard not bothering to show up when that wasn’t the case. Yeesh. :rolleyes:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
It is the point though when your original post attributes the late departure incorrectly to a guard not bothering to show up when that wasn’t the case. Yeesh. :rolleyes:
I did clarify after that this is what the dispatcher was saying to another staff member, and I simply requoted that later. I should have made that clearer, sorry! :)