• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

You may be lucky but looking at what's where for the start of next week with exams and a backlog of sets at Canton preventing others from moving I'd be more suprised if 1W55 was a Mk4 than a unit. Depending on which day it is more sets may be available by then but as it stands wouldn't get my hopes up too much for that one early next week in all honesty.
I've got an Explore Wales 4 in 8 for next week, would you happen to know what the state of play with Holyhead MK4s will be next week please? I do appreciate your time in providing us with the information, many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GWVillager

Sorry to be a pain, but to further this, which is a better section of line to travel on Cardiff to Hereford or Wilmslow to Shrewsbury, and can I pick any seat in 1st and purchase the upgrade or do I need to talk to the conductor before I board? (I don't know how busy 1st Class is normally).
Ultimately it depends what's out when I'm there, as I'd like to get to Swansea on the same day, so I'd be heavily relying on 1W55/1V37. If it's a bust, I'll do Wilmslow to Shrewsbury.
Cardiff to Hereford is more scenic, but Wilmslow to Shrewsbury has some higher speed sections which are honestly quite enjoyable. One isn’t clearly better than the other, so I’d base your choice entirely on set availability.

There are no seat reservations, so if you want to upgrade to first you just sit down in any available seat and ask for an upgrade when the conductor walks through. There’s no need to inform them before boarding, but you might be questioned by the first class host, in which case just tell them what you’re doing.

Jez

Established Member
On the day, if it’s a Sprinter, arrive at Piccadilly early enough for the 67 before, and explain your situation to the guard. He might be a sticker for the rules and tell you to wait two hours, but he might well be sympathetic and tell you to get on. After all, he’ll probably be well aware of just how unpredictable the MK4 diagrams are himself.
I doubt my plans would allow me to get the train 2 hours earlier and in any case with an advance ticket it is only valid on the booked service, first class available or not. You must also not join or leave the service at any other station on the journey unless its a valid connection as per your advance booking.

Cardiff to Hereford is more scenic, but Wilmslow to Shrewsbury has some higher speed sections which are honestly quite enjoyable. One isn’t clearly better than the other, so I’d base your choice entirely on set availability.

There are no seat reservations, so if you want to upgrade to first you just sit down in any available seat and ask for an upgrade when the conductor walks through. There’s no need to inform them before boarding, but you might be questioned by the first class host, in which case just tell them what you’re doing.
I agree. Id say the entire route from Abergavenny to Shrewsbury is the most scenic and less scenic from Shrewsbury onwards but still some nice parts.

I regularly (once a month or more) take the 1744 from Shrewsbury to Swansea, and the catering staff do indeed get off at Newport, typically doing a last round for drinks and taking payment at Abergavenny.

Most of the time I’ve easily had time for three courses before they clear up, but most recently I was told I could only order from the standard menu as there wasn’t time, and had to argue my case to have two courses - which of course were finished easily before Abergavenny. It was a bit annoying considering it’s a 3 hour journey!
It does seem like they need to improve the catering especially as someone could join the service from say Cwmbran to Swansea. Or someone might want more refreshments after Cardiff if they were making the full journey. They might as well not continue the service beyond Cardiff if there isnt proper catering service available.

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
i guess as the train goes back ECS to Canton it would add a lot of time to the staff's shift if they had to work to Swansea.
Not just time - staff without PTS (such as catering staff) normally aren't allowed travel on ECS services at TfW.

sd0733

Established Member
I've got an Explore Wales 4 in 8 for next week, would you happen to know what the state of play with Holyhead MK4s will be next week please? I do appreciate your time in providing us with the information, many thanks.
HD02 is up in Holyhead for the weekend so will form the 0530 off Holyhead Monday but after that not 100% sure yet what's going there. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Jez

Established Member
Not just time - staff without PTS (such as catering staff) normally aren't allowed travel on ECS services at TfW.
They could provide a taxi to get them back to their depot (Newport I assume)

Or the next service to Cardiff which would be cheaper for TFW!

Newp410

When the GWR / FGW services worked ECS Up the Marches early morning up until a couple of years ago, they were quite often booked to pick up catering crew at Newport, so depends what the TOC agreement & diagram is.

BillStampy

Hello! Any ideas what diagrams are running tomorrow (if any) and if the 5 car set is due to run at all tomorrow? Thanks!

sd0733

Established Member
Hello! Any ideas what diagrams are running tomorrow (if any) and if the 5 car set is due to run at all tomorrow? Thanks!
The sets are now the wrong way round to what was originally planned so a 4 car set ( HD05) is planned for the Crewe start and as long as a dragging brake it had earlier is sorted in time the 5 car hopefully will be on the Canton start diagram.

BillStampy

The sets are now the wrong way round to what was originally planned so a 4 car set ( HD05) is planned for the Crewe start and as long as a dragging brake it had earlier is sorted in time the 5 car hopefully will be on the Canton start diagram.
Cheers mate! I plan to spot one of them tomorrow, hopefully the 5 car if it runs. If not I'll just view HD05.

craigybagel

Established Member
They could provide a taxi to get them back to their depot (Newport I assume)

Or the next service to Cardiff which would be cheaper for TFW!
Indeed, but it does add to the complexity of the whole thing. Also, I think they bring a cart or two worth of stuff with them when they get off the train, it's not just the staff that need transporting.
When the GWR / FGW services worked ECS Up the Marches early morning up until a couple of years ago, they were quite often booked to pick up catering crew at Newport, so depends what the TOC agreement & diagram is.
True. I myself have been booked to travel on ECS services at a previous TOC where I didn't at the time hold PTS. But at TfW it's not normally permitted.

170UTD

Cardiff - Hereford is £15.50 to upgrade on the day.
Just curious, where did you get the £15.50 from. I've had a quick look on the TfW website and can't see that price quoted anywhere? Unless it's hidden away somewhere or you've done it yourself? Not saying you're wrong, but some confirmation would be nice. Thanks.

Last edited:

MP393

Just curious, where did you get the £15.50 from. I've had a quick look on the TfW website and can't see that price quoted anywhere? Unless it's hidden away somewhere or you've done it yourself? Not saying you're wrong, but some confirmation would be nice. Thanks.

I have seen the fares on our machines to sell.

You can also view them on the “BR Fares Website” if you want to check our journey opportunities out, Enter your journey on there and scroll right down it’s listed as “PCU Business zone” https://www.brfares.com/!fares?orig=HFD&dest=CDF&period=20231203

170UTD

sd0733

Established Member
Cheers mate! I plan to spot one of them tomorrow, hopefully the 5 car if it runs. If not I'll just view HD05.
Neither made it off the depot so you won't see any of them out and about!

Monday will see both Holyheads run, HD02 AM and HD04 PM with that returning Tuesday morning. Tuesday evening off Cardiff will be a unit as it stands which means so will Wednesday morning off Holyhead.

Last edited:

Jez

Established Member
This is the 3rd out of the last 4 Sundays that the 1032 Swansea-Manchester has been replaced with a unit. Today 197006.

Western 52

This is the 3rd out of the last 4 Sundays that the 1032 Swansea-Manchester has been replaced with a unit. Today 197006.
Yes I noticed that too. I was going to use it today up to Newport. I do wonder about that train starting from Swansea though, as it's 10 minutes behind the GWR, which has plenty of seats available as far as Cardiff. I know it serves Pyle, but not many seem to get on there. Presumably GWR cannot serve Pyle even though the 800s have SDO?

sd0733

Established Member
Set availability Is terrible at the moment mostly due to exams/5 car and la brake issue on HD01. Unfortunately the 2 failures of 67008 really didn't help as its meant nothing could head to Canton with it holding maximum amount of sets and has had a knock on effect and impacted every set and they're now piling up at Crewe and Canton for exams after running out of operating days.

HD04 is heading off Canton tomorrow morning which will create space for HD03 to head down from Crewe for tyre turning prior to it re-entering traffic. Unfortunately HD05 has run out of days so was due to be withdrawn for B exam and 5th coach insertion today but had brake issues anyway so has already made its last run as a 4 car. HD02 will also run out of days on Wednesday and will come out of service for an exam. Hopefully at least one of HD03 and 07 will be ready by then or else there Will only be HD04 able to run as HD06 is also on an exam at Canton and HD01 is having checks after a dragging brake.

Loco wise doesn't look too bad with 8 currently available albeit 2 non modified ones as exam power/rescue loco but set wise looks pretty grim whilst all the work is ongoing.

Next couple of days are only likely to see in service:

Mon-

67022+HD02
05:30 Holyhead to Cardiff
10:52 Cardiff to Manchester
14:30 Manchester to Cardiff
18:55 Cardiff to Manchester

67010+HD04
04:35 Cardiff to Manchester
08:30 Manchester to Cardiff
17:14 Cardiff to Holyhead

Tues-
67022+HD02
04:54 Crewe to Cardiff
08:49 Cardiff to Manchester
12:30 Manchester to Cardiff
16:49 Cardiff to Crewe

67010+HD04

Monday will also see an Ecs run of HD03 to Canton for tyre turning.

Last edited:

BillStampy

1V70 is back to HD05, is this wrong again? It was a 197 a few moments ago, especially if there is a brake issue.

5V70 is at Crewe C.S. on Traksy, it actually might be running

Western 52

1V70 is back to HD05, is this wrong again? It was a 197 a few moments ago, especially if there is a brake issue.

Assuming 5V70 is the ECS for it, Traksy shows it's not off the depot yet. 1019 now, due to have left Crewe at 1014.

Jez

Established Member
Yes I noticed that too. I was going to use it today up to Newport. I do wonder about that train starting from Swansea though, as it's 10 minutes behind the GWR, which has plenty of seats available as far as Cardiff. I know it serves Pyle, but not many seem to get on there. Presumably GWR cannot serve Pyle even though the 800s have SDO?
At least when it is subbed its almost always a 197. Which if im honest i prefer over a MK4 (im probabaly in the minority there!) although obviously the first class in the MK4 is better than a 197.

GWR dont serve Pyle or indeed any of the Swanline stations.

10 mins behind the GWR leaving Swansea should be fine however for performance. Especially with the extra call at Pyle.

sd0733

Established Member

Assuming 5V70 is the ECS for it, Traksy shows it's not off the depot yet. 1019 now, due to have left Crewe at 1014.
It has been fixed so will now be running as HD05. The 197 is remaining as a back up though in Crewe station

Jez

Established Member
Next couple of days are only likely to see in service:

Mon-

67022+HD02

67010+HD04
04:35 Cardiff to Manchester
08:30 Manchester to Cardiff
17:14 Cardiff to Holyhead

Tues-
67022+HD02
04:54 Crewe to Cardiff
08:49 Cardiff to Manchester
12:30 Manchester to Cardiff
16:49 Cardiff to Crewe

67010+HD04
Thank you as always for the diagrams. I hope things improve by middle of February!

Monday will see both Holyheads run, HD02 AM and HD04 PM with that returning Tuesday morning. Tuesday evening off Cardiff will be a unit as it stands which means so will Wednesday morning off Holyhead.
Cheers SD, will keep my fingers crossed one produces Wednesday night on 1W96.
Out of interest, how long does an exam generally take on a set when it runs out of hours?

sd0733

Established Member
Cheers SD, will keep my fingers crossed one produces Wednesday night on 1W96.
Out of interest, how long does an exam generally take on a set when it runs out of hours?
They're coming up for B exams which were planned for 7 days including the TO being inserted. Unfortunately with the backlog it's taking much longer.

Richard Scott

Established Member
At least when it is subbed its almost always a 197. Which if im honest i prefer over a MK4 (im probabaly in the minority there!) although obviously the first class in the MK4 is better than a 197.
I imagine you must be very much in minority! I'd much rather have a mk4 than a 197, to be honest preferred the 175s to 197s!