• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

Caaardiff

Where has it been said that there will be 5 cars running between Swansea and Manchester/the North? Ive only seen it on here, no official document.
The Manchester trains tend to do Ok as 3 cars whereas 2 cars are often crowded, especially at peak times. 5 cars would be overkill most of the day. It's been publicly announced in the franchise plans that there will be increased frequencies on the marches with the addition of 2 hourly Cardiff-Liverpool services from Dec 2022 which should increase capacity overall and ease the demand on the specific peak busy services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transmanche

Established Member
Where has it been said that there will be 5 cars running between Swansea and Manchester/the North? Ive only seen it on here, no official document.
I think people have taken two bits of information published by TfW (the regulating suthority, not the TOC):
  • Introduce new two and three-car DMUs on the Milford Haven to Manchester service by 2023.
  • A first-class service from Swansea to Manchester from 2024.
and made an assumption. (Although, it's not an unreasonable assumption given the available information.)

krus_aragon

Established Member
The Manchester trains tend to do Ok as 3 cars whereas 2 cars are often crowded, especially at peak times. 5 cars would be overkill most of the day. It's been publicly announced in the franchise plans that there will be increased frequencies on the marches with the addition of 2 hourly Cardiff-Liverpool services from Dec 2022 which should increase capacity overall and ease the demand on the specific peak busy services.
There's not much in the public domain that I can point to that I didn't already mention a few weeks ago, but going over it again:
  • Rolling stock requirements documents include 14 three-car units with first class accomodation from 2024 (see documents at https://tfw.wales/projects/wales-and-borders-rail-service)
  • The "What's Happening" list of improvements mention new 2/3 car DMUs in 2023 for the Manchester-Milford route, but only state First Class is to be introduced between Manchester and Swansea in 2024
  • Manchester to Milford every two hours is a 13-hour round trip (with turnaround). Manchester to Carmarthen is 11 hours. So a minimum of twelve units would be needed in service.
  • If the units with first class run through to West Wales, then there'll be two units spare for maintenance each day, and the First Class finishing at Swansea is an anomaly or a mistake.
  • Alternatively, an hourly Manchester to Swansea round trip would be nine hours, leaving up to five first-class units spare or on other diagrams. (Maybe available as stand-ins for the Mark IV rakes in the event of failures?) There'd have to be another unit detached at Swansea for the West Wales portion.
I think when we first crunched the numbers we didn't know exactly how many units would be fitted with First, but worked on the number of units that were to be delivered in the "add-on" batch. On re-examining the numbers I think the argument could be made either way.

One issue that comes to mind is the fact that you say 2-car services are inadequate, but 3-car services are usually sufficient for Manchester services. The First Class 197s will only have 158 standard class seats, ~30 less than a 175/1. Perhaps we'd better hope for multiple working!

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
A Mk4 set plus 67 025 attached in TfW colours looked all set and ready to go today at Arriva Traincare Crewe (alongside the Stoke line).
Appearances can be deceptive though...

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
A Mk4 set plus 67 025 attached in TfW colours looked all set and ready to go today at Arriva Traincare Crewe (alongside the Stoke line).

Good, looking forward to seeing them out. 67010 with the Mk3s out on the Manchester set today.

Expected entry into service is February-ish apparently (according to a Class 67 group on Facebook).

Last edited:

NewSt

Yes, you’re correct. There was indeed a set there. I have a video which I will post later.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Are they keeping the RSB's as such or are they converting them to RFB's to match the mark 3's setup of a half car first class rather than a full first class car?

Loco+TOE+TO+SV+POD+DVT would appear to be the formation being used based on the coaches so far.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

sd0733

Established Member
NRE says it is Standard only. Assuming a loco-hauled set is indeed working it, then presumably first class accomodation (if available) would be declassified.
That diagram Is one which will eventually be a 67+Mk4 but currently booked 158 IIRC.

craigybagel

Established Member
It was operated by a 158 and a 150, the former was in TFW livery.

That's strange. Two sources on the Forum say that it was 175006

An understandable confusion. 1W93 (1124 off Cardiff) was indeed 175006. The other service from Cardiff that's meant to be loco hauled but currently isn't 1W91 (0702 off Cardiff) was a 158, which on its return trip 1v96 (1134 off Holyhead) picked up a 150 at Chester.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Good, looking forward to seeing them out. 67010 with the Mk3s out on the Manchester set today.

Expected entry into service is February-ish apparently (according to a Class 67 group on Facebook).
Are the mark 4s still going on the Manchester service first or does the delay until Feburary mean they have decided to wait until the stock is cleared on the marches line?

craigybagel

Established Member
Are the mark 4s still going on the Manchester service first or does the delay until Feburary mean they have decided to wait until the stock is cleared on the marches line?

The delays to the MKIVs coming into service are not connected to the issues with running them on the Marches line.

Skip 10

The delays to the MKIVs coming into service are not connected to the issues with running them on the Marches line.
I don't think that's what the post was implying, as the issues have already been reported. To answer the original question I don't think theres been a decision made but it has been suggested that it could be possibility.

craigybagel

Established Member
I don't think that's what the post was implying, as the issues have already been reported. To answer the original question I don't think theres been a decision made but it has been suggested that it could be possibility.

No, I guess not. But yes, I don't think any decisions can be made at the moment, not until it's known for sure both when the stock is going to be ready to enter service, and when the issues on the Marches line are dealt with. Two different issues which sadly are both getting in the way of TfW running the stock they want to use on the services they want to use them on.

Tom125

What is the issue with the Mk4s and running them between Cardiff and Holyhead?

OrangeJuice

Proving run taking place on the 24th Jan (or as soon as viable) apparently.
Do you know if this is Holyhead to Manchester or the Marches to Cardiff?

Sorry I've gotten confused with all the talk of taking over the Manchester route first

sw1ller

Established Member
Do you know if this is Holyhead to Manchester or the Marches to Cardiff?

Sorry I've gotten confused with all the talk of taking over the Manchester route first

the post Tom is referring to is a driver on FB who’s based in Holyhead. He says the whole set needs to be in Holyhead by the 24th but there’s still a few little issues with it (didn’t state what they were). I read it as it’s expected to be moved on the 24th but it could be sooner.