• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43 302

Established Member
Do we know what the rakes CF numbers will be? Assuming they're allocated to Cardiff Canton.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The mixed liveries really do look quite haphazard. If they wanted to get away with that, they should have gone all over red for the DVT and loco. But even so, the grey and the red are different from the coaches - just getting them the same would have been a start!

Or just don't be so cheap and paint/vinyl the coaches.

59CosG95

Established Member
The mixed liveries really do look quite haphazard. If they wanted to get away with that, they should have gone all over red for the DVT and loco. But even so, the grey and the red are different from the coaches - just getting them the same would have been a start!

Or just don't be so cheap and paint/vinyl the coaches.
Perhaps the DVT & loco were done first to allow the sets to enter service more quickly? It'd make sense to reduce the amount of time each set spent out of traffic by repainting the coaches and refurbishing the interiors in one sitting.

hobbm013

Comes back to the age old debate of do passengers actually care what colours the coaches are? I for one would love to see them repainted but at least they are white and red. They’re late entering service as they are, get them into service asap and worry about a more coherent livery later on.

Comes back to the age old debate of do passengers actually care what colours the coaches are? I for one would love to see them repainted but at least they are white and red. They’re late entering service as they are, get them into service asap and worry about a more coherent livery later on.

Probably not but it certainly looks like an every expense spared/short term hire job that's for sure

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
56103 today took a rake of 7 x Mark 3 vehicles from Canton to Long Marston which I doubt will see any further service as their dispensation finishes at the end of June without any likelihood of the services resuming by then. I'm not certain of the up to date position regarding the Mark 4s but certainly some training would have been retarded. All Mark 4s should have been delivered by now.

43 302

Established Member
56103 today took a rake of 7 x Mark 3 vehicles from Canton to Long Marston which I doubt will see any further service as their dispensation finishes at the end of June without any likelihood of the services resuming by then. I'm not certain of the up to date position regarding the Mark 4s but certainly some training would have been retarded. All Mark 4s should have been delivered by now.
Coaches are 10249, 12176, 177, 178, 179, 180 and 12181

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
56103 ran light from Derby to Canton again today and has taken the 2 x Mark 3 DVTs, 82306 and 82308, to Barton Hill for some reason.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Has 82307 gone elsewhere already?

That I don't know for certain. Not seen anything about any movement with the Manchester set stock vehicles yet since it went into warm store at Crewe at the lock down. `At the beginning of the year 82306 was with that but I'm sure (can't turn it up at the moment) that there was a DVT swap made shortly before COVID so 82307 could be at Crewe. Perhaps somebody could answer this one.

Mollman

Established Member
Interesting tender has just come out from TfW stating:
Mark IV trains are set to enter service mid to late September 2020, replacing the existing Specified Location trains. The Mark IV trains are equipped with a kitchen so TfW has the opportunity to increase first class services from 2 services per day to 6. In doing so, additional facilities are required at Newport station to undertake food preparation.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
That I don't know for certain. Not seen anything about any movement with the Manchester set stock vehicles yet since it went into warm store at Crewe at the lock down. `At the beginning of the year 82306 was with that but I'm sure (can't turn it up at the moment) that there was a DVT swap made shortly before COVID so 82307 could be at Crewe. Perhaps somebody could answer this one.

There was a 5W67 on May 7th from Canton to Crewe formed Mark 3s 12185 12184 and 12182 formed with DFT 82307

Tomos y Tanc

may just be looking at this wrongly but referencing Swansea in the Delivery Location/Area section as well as bridgend area so maybe leaving possibility to extend the Gerald's route?

I think you're reading too much into it. The Delivery Location/Area is in fact the whole of Wales but listed by regions for some reason.

craigybagel

Established Member
There was a 5W67 on May 7th from Canton to Crewe formed Mark 3s 12185 12184 and 12182 formed with DFT 82307
That set is still in Crewe now, complete with 67015. Separately there is a single MKIII parked on the other side of the depot.

hobbm013

57312 ran from Leicester to Holyhead this morning, to drag 67025 and it’s Mk4 set to Crewe