Excess fares

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Mojo, 28 Sep 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mojo

Mojo Forum Staff Staff Member Administrator

How do excess fares work? Does the person with the ticket machine input what you've already paid, where you're travelling, and it calculates the excess.

I only ask because yesterday I had a return from Redland to Temple Meads, and after the Transport Alliance meeting we decided to go up to Severn Beach with some drinks, so I asked the conductor to excess my ticket to go to Severn Beach and back, and the extra only cost 10p!

The Severn Beach line Inner zone ticket is 50p (Priv fare) return, and for both zones is 75p, but I was only asked for an additional 10p! When he printed, he'd only done a single, but a single is supposed to be 50p for both zones, so I was quite confused as to how it's worked out.

I can scan my tickets if it would help?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Tom

Tom Guest

The XS fare is calculated based on the difference between the two fares on the journey you make.

For instance - if the difference between the two fares on a journey you make is £6, the XS fare for XSing one portion would be £3. That's how excessing routes work - O/D XS works a bit differently...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.