• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excessing an off-peak return London-Oxford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iron oxide

Hello,

I need to get from London to Oxford next Wednesday morning, and looking to get in to Oxford before 1000.

I have an unused return portion of an Off-Peak Return (with a Young Persons' Railcard; the total cost of the return was £15.50). I think the first train I could use this on would be the 0921 departure, arriving 1018.

What's my best bet, in terms of cost? Can I excess my return portion for a reasonable price, or would it be cheaper to buy a new Anytime single? (Or is there some other way of using the ticket that I haven't thought of?)

Many thanks
IO

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
London to Oxford Off Peak Return £15.50
London to Oxford Anytime Day Return £33.65
Difference = £18.15
(However I don't think that's valid as you are returning a different day! But a new SDS is cheaper anyway!)

A new Anytime Single (SDS) is £17.15

clagmonster

Established Member
I believe that there is a procedure which has been posted before on the forum that, where there is no open return and a passenger wishes to use a saver a peak time, that it should be excessed to the cost of two appropriate singles. Therefore, in this case, the excess would be calculated as follows:
Oxford-Paddington cheap day single £14.15
Paddington-Oxford day single £17.15
Total £31.30

Less the cost of the saver, which is £15.50, comes to £15.80.

I don't think I've seen this procedure documented, but I'm sure I've seen it posted on here before.

sonic2009

Established Member
If you really wanted to save money try Oxford Tube, buy through megabus.

And you can get a £5.00 ticket for the coach @ next Wednesday at 08:00 leaving from London Victoria Buckingham Palace Rd.( outside the row of shops at Victoria Train Station) arriving at Oxford Gloucester Green Coach Station at 09:50.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor

And you can get a £5.00 ticket for the coach @ next Wednesday at 08:00 leaving from London Victoria Buckingham Palace Rd.( outside the row of shops at Victoria Train Station) arriving at Oxford Gloucester Green Coach Station at 09:50.

If the timing is important, I'd definitely not rely on the bus at this time of the morning. It can easily take well over an hour to get to the suburbs of London if traffic is bad.

sonic2009

Established Member
LexyBoy:894444 said:

If the timing is important, I'd definitely not rely on the bus at this time of the morning. It can easily take well over an hour to get to the suburbs of London if traffic is bad.

Agreed just giving an option to the OP. :)

barrykas

Established Member
I have an unused return portion of an Off-Peak Return (with a Young Persons' Railcard; the total cost of the return was £15.50). I think the first train I could use this on would be the 0921 departure, arriving 1018.

What's my best bet, in terms of cost? Can I excess my return portion for a reasonable price, or would it be cheaper to buy a new Anytime single? (Or is there some other way of using the ticket that I haven't thought of?)

I'd suggest an over distance excess for the Return leg to a Super Off-Peak Return to Banbury, which should set you back the princely sum of 50p, then stop short at Oxford.

Relevant restriction being that such a ticket is valid leaving London at any time except between 1600 and 1900 Mondays to Fridays, and Paddington - Reading - Banbury (via Oxford) is a perfectly permitted route.

Cheers,

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.