• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excessing to first Aberystwyth to Glasgow

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllWork

Im travelling tomorrow from Aberystwyth to Exhibition Centre Glasgow and would like (if the price is right!) to upgrade to first on the Wolverhampton to Glasgow Central leg (which I anticipate being busy and for which I have a less than comfortable seat).

How do I work out the excess? My ticket is around £112 (anytime single - bought by the company so not an advance). Do I have to upgrade the whole thing to first or can I save a bit by doing just this leg?

Also, I'll be leaving WVH at 0937 - would I get breakfast in first on this route?

Cheers,

Allwork

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The First Class fare is £180.50 for the FOS. The excess is the difference between the fare you paid and this fare.

However some TOCs (e.g. TPE) will also offer an excess to allow the use of First Class for a portion of the journey. I do not know if Virgin also do this. However, even if they did, it would not benefit you. The SOS fare you paid is nearly £10 more than the fare from Wolverhampton to Glasgow, however the FOS that would be applicable to that flow is only £1 more. So the difference would, in fact, be greater!

As for the breakfast, the Virgin Trains timetables say what offer should be available. In this case the answer is yes.

AllWork

Thanks Yorkie - £70 ish for the upgrade is definitely not worth it. I wish I could convince our travel company to use advances (a first advance was cheaper than £112 when I looked up times!)

Cheers,

Allwork

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Off topic:

I read somewhere today that the 09:20 BHM GLC (i.e. the OP's service) is today formed of a Pendo. Can anyone confirm?

Probably a little more room then if that's the case.

calc7

Established Member
...and if it ends up being a SuperVoyager, go grab a seat in coach D/K where all the seats have tables and are (imo) comfier. Also free WiFi ;)

island

Veteran Member
...and if it ends up being a SuperVoyager, go grab a seat in coach D/K where all the seats have tables and are (imo) comfier. Also free WiFi ;)

Is a doubled 221 a Super Duper Voyager? :D

AllWork

Off topic:

I read somewhere today that the 09:20 BHM GLC (i.e. the OP's service) is today formed of a Pendo.

It was indeed - 11 cars vs 5 and very pleasant too! Reservations went out the window which led to a lot of people wandering around when boarding but altogether the best, most comfortable, journey up this way I've had in a while.

Anyone know why the change?

very off topic: I am in Glasgow to see the BBC Scotland Super Hi Vision Olympics screening - well worth the trip and I thoroughly recommend it (also in Bradford Media museum & Broadcasing House)

34D

Established Member
Thanks Yorkie - £70 ish for the upgrade is definitely not worth it.

I'm not sure what criteria you use to make this assessment, but it sounds quite a fair price to me. If you pick your trains, it could well include three meals and unlimited drinks (gotta be worth £30 at least) then there's the comfort.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'm not sure what criteria you use to make this assessment, but it sounds quite a fair price to me. If you pick your trains, it could well include three meals and unlimited drinks (gotta be worth £30 at least) then there's the comfort.

As with a lot of things, it's very subjective. Plus, of course, it depends on how value the meals and drinks on offer! :D

AllWork

As Greenback said, it's subjective. In my view £70 for 3ish hours isn't worth it because I (subjectively) measure the value against what £70 could buy me if I chose to go standard class eg. a significantly better hotel room (on top of my existing booking), a very nice meal with good wine and so on.

Don't get me wrong, First is great for the space and quiet. Not so much for the seats (I've just come off an ATW 158 remember, so anything is up!) and the food is poor on Virgin - no two ways about it.

For the £70 difference you could:

• Take taxis to and from both stations - £10
  • Have a nice lunch in Glasgow Central - £40
  • Rent an iTunes film to watch during the journey - £5
  • Buy in to first lounge in Wolverhampton - £5 (inc cold breakfast)
Total: £60 with more comfort I would say.

I suppose you could also choose your favourite non-1st seat and use the remaining tenner to bribe a fellow passenger to give up their seat for you :lol:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Anyone know why the change?

Apparently VT ran one 221 and one 390 an hour vice the usual 3x390 an hour between Euston and Birmingham, because of the overhead line problems somewhere near Milton Keynes, resulting in one of the fast lines being blocked to electric traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.