• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Exeter St Davids and Plymouth ticket barriers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeh, Neds. Non-Educated-Delinquin yes? Chav - Council House Adult Vermin. Welcome to England, me123, Kiltown aint here, ya wee porridge sucking alien.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
Or non-educated-d***head if you ask some :lol:. I'll refuse to comment on the rest of your post, but for the records I speak no gaelic, am half-english, hate porridge, have never worn a kilt and do not live in a castle.

Jim

Established Member
Glasgow have NEDs, not CHAVs. And most NEDs travel from Queen Street. But Central really should have barriers. I'm pretty sure Scotrail want them. But Central usually has human barriers anyway which is always something.

"It looks like a ticket" *waves through*

me123

Established Member
"It looks like a ticket" *waves through*

Admittedly, that is a problem. Some ticket inspectors look at my YP Railcard in it's scotrail holder, assume it's a season ticket and walk on past. Lucky me! I have also (after buying a valid ticket at a ticket office) deliberately shown a wrong ticket and have never been questioned yet.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What can they do though if you show something that looks like a ticket? Barrier staff don't have time to check each ticket thoroughly and are highly unlikely to leave their post to chase someone if they are leaving the station. At some stations, especially in peaks with frequent travellers people have got used to not stopping for the barrier staff.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
What can they do though if you show something that looks like a ticket? Barrier staff don't have time to check each ticket thoroughly and are highly unlikely to leave their post to chase someone if they are leaving the station. At some stations, especially in peaks with frequent travellers people have got used to not stopping for the barrier staff.
What's the situation when it comes to private security firms checking tickets (as is the case at Manchester Picc)? I imagine they've had next to no training on what is or isn't a valid ticket, and as such have no power to stop you if you show ANY ticket?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Unlike the bus industry, I've found if rail staff come across a ticket they don't know, they'll just let it go, assuming there are thousands of tickets and they can't have been trained on all of them.

We get one of these tickets every year
50fb0e82.jpg

and the staff are always telling us they've never seen one, but still let us use it.

jd

They also don't have time to deal with a Mojo who has decided he's going to go through the barrier at 100mph, and all they can see is a blur of orange stripe. I presume that's what you mean by "people have got used to not stopping for the barrier staff".

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Who needs an orange blur? Just holding up an [unopened] railcard wallet (ready to open with valid ticket inside) is enough at most stations (and indeed seems to be the case with a fair few guards from various TOCs).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Unlike the bus industry, I've found if rail staff come across a ticket they don't know, they'll just let it go, assuming there are thousands of tickets and they can't have been trained on all of them.

We get one of these tickets every year
50fb0e82.jpg

and the staff are always telling us they've never seen one, but still let us use it.

I've had booking office staff at my local station asking me what the boundaries for an East Midlands Day Ranger are and also had a MML TM asking me what the boundaries for a Heart of England Rover are. I could no doubt have claimed that such a ticket was valid from Sheffield to Wellingborough (as opposed to Derby/Nottingham to Leicester) and he would have accepted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.