• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Experience working for Virgin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fozz94

Hi guys
So I've seen a station based role on virgin trains website and I wondered if anyone on here has experience working for them and if so what they are like working for? I currently work in law, which is obviously a complete different industry to the rail sector!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Hi guys
So I've seen a station based role on virgin trains website and I wondered if anyone on here has experience working for them and if so what they are like working for? I currently work in law, which is obviously a complete different industry to the rail sector!
I’ve not got any specific experience, but bear in mind it won’t be a Virgin franchise for much longer :)

This shouldn’t put you off applying though. If anything it’ll be a fresh start and a time to join a brand new brand...as it were.

Fozz94

I’ve not got any specific experience, but bear in mind it won’t be a Virgin franchise for much longer :)

This shouldn’t put you off applying though. If anything it’ll be a fresh start and a time to join a brand new brand...as it were.

Yes I thought about that although I'm not sure they've announced who the next franchisee is yet out of the other two bidders? I am excited to try something completely new and the railway is always been where I wanted to be!

Hi, I work for vt and started on platforms.

I doubt you will find a better company to work for in respect of being supported or being given opportunities to progress.

Most negative comments are about the recruitment process being more aimed at finding personalities then experience.

Good luck

Bennski

I will throw my 2 cent in and agree with Westcoast-ting, going for my second "roadshow" event shortly and my first one I could defiantly see that they were looking for personality. I dont work for Virgin but I am looking too and speaking to staff and what not they do seem to be one of the best operators at least on the WCML. When the re-brand happens nothing changes apart from the logo on your jacket. Their recruitment is one of the more "unique" however the people they have are outstanding so clearly they are doing something right in terms of hiring the right people...

Journeyman

Established Member
Most negative comments are about the recruitment process being more aimed at finding personalities then experience.

This is a very important thing to bear in mind. I've been through their recruitment process, and found it utterly ghastly - it's full of games and team challenges and stuff, and is clearly geared up to people who are extrovert, bubbly, chatty and loud. It makes me feel extremely uncomfortable, therefore I can't get through it. I actually think their processes are extremely discriminatory and highly unfit for purpose, but if you can cope with their ZANY/WACKY/CRAZY!!!!111!!11! corporate culture, you'll be fine.

I can't cope with it, and for that reason will be very glad to see the back of them!

Unknockable

This is a very important thing to bear in mind. I've been through their recruitment process, and found it utterly ghastly - it's full of games and team challenges and stuff, and is clearly geared up to people who are extrovert, bubbly, chatty and loud. It makes me feel extremely uncomfortable, therefore I can't get through it. I actually think their processes are extremely discriminatory and highly unfit for purpose, but if you can cope with their ZANY/WACKY/CRAZY!!!!111!!11! corporate culture, you'll be fine.

I can't cope with it, and for that reason will be very glad to see the back of them!
Wow really, discriminatory in what way? With all the equality that’s going on they shouldn’t be getting away with that for much longer for sure!

Bennski

There is no inequality at all. Many people apply for these positions and almost all the people applying could do the job easily. However they are looking for people who stand out and have that "Virgin sparkle". Yes they want someone who is bubbly and chatty, yes they want someone who can express their opinion and not sit their in silence. If you want to-do really well in the roadshow recruitment event my best advice is to be confident and dont be afraid to speak up in the group exercises. The staff who watch over the exercises are looking for people who can express themselves and talk confidently but also involve others and work well with a team. If you sit there in silence and dont say much you are not going to be progressed simple as that. If you are shy or whatever then you need to not be. If that is too hard for you to overcome perhaps this aint the role for you. Just my opinion may of rustled a few feathers by saying that but thats the way I see it...

Journeyman

Established Member
I consider it discriminatory because they measure superficial qualities over relevant skills, experience, maturity and intelligence. If you're not matey/jokey/loud/brash/touchy-feely enough, you won't get anywhere with them, and I think they prioritise that over the stuff that really matters. If you can cope with it, fine, but I quickly came to the conclusion that being surrounded by all that false look-how-much-fun-we're-having stuff all the time would drive me insane, so after a couple of attempts, I figured they're not for me. I really hope whoever takes it over goes back to more traditional recruitment techniques.

I'm really not convinced they deliver much over and above other TOCs anyway, and their "cheeky" attitude has got them into trouble more than once. Just bear this in mind - how serious-minded are you? If the answer to that is "quite a lot", I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. I find their marketing and comms stuff about as irritating as nails on a blackboard, and I won't miss it when it's gone.

Aictos

Established Member
I consider it discriminatory because they measure superficial qualities over relevant skills, experience, maturity and intelligence. If you're not matey/jokey/loud/brash/touchy-feely enough, you won't get anywhere with them, and I think they prioritise that over the stuff that really matters. If you can cope with it, fine, but I quickly came to the conclusion that being surrounded by all that false look-how-much-fun-we're-having stuff all the time would drive me insane, so after a couple of attempts, I figured they're not for me. I really hope whoever takes it over goes back to more traditional recruitment techniques.

I'm really not convinced they deliver much over and above other TOCs anyway, and their "cheeky" attitude has got them into trouble more than once. Just bear this in mind - how serious-minded are you? If the answer to that is "quite a lot", I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. I find their marketing and comms stuff about as irritating as nails on a blackboard, and I won't miss it when it's gone.

I quite agree which is why I don't see the sense in companies using these methods as they're losing out on employing people who otherwise would be a fantastic employee and it's not just Virgin Trains that do this, National Express Coaches do as well.

I've gone for various roles and wasn't successful simply because I wasn't matey/jokey/loud/brash/touchy-feely enough...

Anyway, when I applied a few years ago to join the East Coast IC operator it was a simple matter of doing the tests which I got the highest results ever seen by the assessors (their words not mine) then depending on the results you then went for the interview sadly I didn't get pass the interview but I had plenty of feedback on where I went wrong.

That's the best way forward not doing silly group exercises :rolleyes:

Bennski

Well there is two views of people who have been through the recruitment process with Virgin if that is of any help to the OP. I dont think you will get many employees posting on here about how they find working with them you may be lucky enough to get ex-employees. If the OP wants any more information about what expect in the roadshow recruitment event I am more than happy to message you more details just drop me a DM. Other than that best of luck am sure you will make it past the recruitment and join the Virgin family eventually!

Paddy67

On Moderation

Yeah I get where you are coming from but I did all the out going enthusiastic personality stuff and had years and years of the most relevant experience to the job and got beat to the job by a very shy quiet guy so just goes to show how it's pot luck often in this game

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Hi there

I'm interested in pursuing a career with the rail industry after quitting the police service recently.

I've been on the Virgin Trains website and seen two station based vacancies advertised - one in Preston and the other is Warrington. As I live in Wigan which is half way between both stations they seem tempting opportunities but I can't help but feel that it may not be the best of times to join Virgin due to recent news of their future.

On the other hand both jobs might be 'stepping stones' to other roles in the rail industry such as being a conductor or a driver.

C J

Stigy

Established Member
Hi there

I'm interested in pursuing a career with the rail industry after quitting the police service recently.

I've been on the Virgin Trains website and seen two station based vacancies advertised - one in Preston and the other is Warrington. As I live in Wigan which is half way between both stations they seem tempting opportunities but I can't help but feel that it may not be the best of times to join Virgin due to recent news of their future.

On the other hand both jobs might be 'stepping stones' to other roles in the rail industry such as being a conductor or a driver.

C J
I wouldn’t let their franchise issues put me off.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
If you join and they lose the franchise, all that'll happen is you'll get a new uniform and name badge, and the name at the top of your payslip changes. That's about as much as you'll notice

Stigy

Established Member
If you join and they lose the franchise, all that'll happen is you'll get a new uniform and name badge, and the name at the top of your payslip changes. That's about as much as you'll notice
I agree that a lot will remain the same in terms of management and over all staff (although at Director level it may differ). However, I do think there will be a big cultural change which would ordinarily go unnoticed with other TOCs as Virgin as a brand is very ‘flamboyant’.

RJ

Established Member
I worked for Virgin Trains.

There's nothing wrong with the recruitment process. If you can demonstrate they you are they type of person they want, you'll get the job. If you don't want to do that, it will be a challenge.

The company has money. Training was a nice affair - put up in a reasonably nice hotel in Crewe with a £30 allowance for dinner. Compare and contrast with London Midland where it was a 2 hour commute from Euston to the classroom in Birmingham for 5 weeks! Luxuries like massage chairs in messrooms came as standard at Virgin.

The job was what it was. The basic pay was much more than what other TOCs paid for a similar role, but there were no enhancements at all. Not for Sundays, rest days or anything. At the time they were only recruiting on a fixed term basis so I didn't get access to Tribe. This mean I wasn't eligible for free travel on Virgin Trains or any other Virgin group concessions despite working for them. They had their reasons for this policy but it wasn't especially fair. However, annual pay rises were something like 5-6% which was nice. These details vary depending on the grade you go into and contract length.

Like any company, you'll have to network if you want to be considered for progression opportunities in a reasonable timeframe. I'm not saying there was a nepotistic culture or anything but being social beyond the basic level required to get by at work did seem to help with promotions into sought after roles.

An unintended benefit was easy access to TOPS. There was quite some turnover meaning staff shortages. Lots of overtime available but increased workload as a result.

As for people, it was a great place. Very friendly colleagues. Some of the most entertaining people to work with were those the company inherited from British Rail. To this day if I need to buy an expensive ticket, I'll nip down to Euston and buy it from a Train Manager there so they can benefit from the commission. I had a great time there and even help a friend to get in and he enjoyed his time there too.

To be honest, I work for a TOC that isn't quite so high up in the court of public opinion, but as an employer they are very good. They gave me a unique, gold plated contract with some extraordinarily generous concessions. No messing around, withholding benefits and they use the Reward Gateway employee benefit platform which is very valuable indeed if used right. Never had any bother with them at all.

I guess the lesson is to not necessarily judge how good a company is as an employer based on perception of the brand.

Last edited:
Virgin get a bit do stick for their recruitment, my ethos has always been that they can teach you everything you need to know about the job, but what they cant teach you is you personality.

The recruiters will always look for the people who interact well, those that come over warm and friendly and those who look proactive.

It’s all a game

Stigy

Established Member
Virgin get a bit do stick for their recruitment, my ethos has always been that they can teach you everything you need to know about the job, but what they cant teach you is you personality.

The recruiters will always look for the people who interact well, those that come over warm and friendly and those who look proactive.

It’s all a game
I agree. It’s also worth noting that it’s a captive audience, therefore there’s no shortage of candidates. If people don’t like their recruitment process, then simply don’t apply or don’t expect to get a job if you do.

Fozz94

Wow I didn't expect all these responses haha! Thank you everyone, though. I'd like to think I'd fit in with Virgin because all of my colleagues have always said I'm a bit out there (definitely not the stereotype of working in law) but we'll see.

Can I read into anything that the job post closes in a week, or is that just me overthinking?

Wow I didn't expect all these responses haha! Thank you everyone, though. I'd like to think I'd fit in with Virgin because all of my colleagues have always said I'm a bit out there (definitely not the stereotype of working in law) but we'll see.

Can I read into anything that the job post closes in a week, or is that just me overthinking?

Nope, if the job is advertised then vt have to hand over to the next operator with enough staff. Unless I miss understand the question.

Fozz94

Nope, if the job is advertised then vt have to hand over to the next operator with enough staff. Unless I miss understand the question.
Sorry, I meant does that mean perhaps that they already may have an internal candidate lined up and they are just advertising for the sake

I would 100% agree with you Until I spent 2 days in recruitment. And honestly it will all be points based on the day.

On the event I was involved in they sometimes ask to keep your details for other role in the area if their is only one position.

If I was to be critical and subject vt to my own bias then at best if you know somebody you MAY get an invite, anything more is BS

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Thanks for the useful advice

I've noted that the job's advertised with Virgin seem to be a bit thin on the ground. Merseyrail too seem to have hardly anything relevant advertised at present.

Does anyone know if the likes of Virgin advertise vacancies internally to existing staff or are they always made public?

I'm just curious as to whether any job with them could be a stepping stone to advancing yourself career wise?

C J

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks for the useful advice

I've noted that the job's advertised with Virgin seem to be a bit thin on the ground. Merseyrail too seem to have hardly anything relevant advertised at present.

Does anyone know if the likes of Virgin advertise vacancies internally to existing staff or are they always made public?

I'm just curious as to whether any job with them could be a stepping stone to advancing yourself career wise?

C J
Cant answer specifically for Virgin, but from experience most TOCs advertise internally and externally, although that’s not to say they have to do this.

At vt if the job goes external it’s either internal at the same time or gone external because of low interest internally.

There is a move for onboard to go stations for safety crit but vt will always look for new entrants.

Vt tend to have recruitment purges dependent on franchise extension, retirements or other factors.

Red1980

Been working for them for over 2 years now having worked for another TOC before and can safely say there's no problem in the working environment here. If you're comfortable in your grade great, and if you want to progress within the company it's very much encouraged and supported.

In regards to the recruitment process I found no problems whatsoever. People on here talking like it's only Virgin that seem to want a bit of personality etc, well what a load of nonsense. If you sit a group exercise with any toc in this country and do one of either sit there without contribution or shout your mouth off and take over not letting people get a word in edgeways then the chances are you're not making it through the assessment. It's a fine line but that's just generally railway recruitment anyway considering the numbers that apply.

I found the recruitment at Virgin far more laid back and welcoming in comparison to the stone faced regimented experiences I'd had at other Toc's. And like someone said earlier when you attend training sessions etc a big deal is made of it and you're very much looked after in terms of the course, the environment, the hotels etc.

Yes there's a lot of fluffy stuff but remember that these are very much fluffy times we live in and very snowflake esque so there's no harm in a company adapting to the environment they're working in. That said even with all that fluffiness it's not shoved down my throat in my working environment. The only thing that is aimed at us is to be half decent people and do our jobs right? What's wrong with that?

Like every TOC there are perks to working here as you'll find out if you join. And like others have said the franchise change means very little.

Best of luck.

tracksider

Does anyone know what normally happens if you're recruited into a talent pool and the franchise is handed over before there is a vacancy? Is it the same for all TOCs?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Does anyone know what normally happens if you're recruited into a talent pool and the franchise is handed over before there is a vacancy? Is it the same for all TOCs?
Some keep their pools, some start over. The recruitment teams will be the same whatever happens

Ahmed235

I recently applied for Customer Service for Virgin Trains. How long does it take to get feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.