• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Express Services to... Farnborough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxster

Established Member
The half-hour journey between Shalford (near Guildford) to Reading with stations just two to three minutes apart from eachother was announced as the First Great Western high speed service at Guildford today!!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
joeholmes said:
what turned up? how long did it take?
The usual all stations timetable (stations just 3 mins apart) with a 165 that probably never hit 60!.

Jim

Established Member
joeholmes said:
what turned up?

how long did it take?

Joe

To be frank, that would be ablivious, no matter what stock does it, only the HST (mainly) routes are classified as High Speed.

"How long did it take"
If it stops everywhere, quite a long time;)

Simming

Jim said:
To be frank, that would be ablivious, no matter what stock does it, only the HST (mainly) routes are classified as High Speed.

Or what about were the line speed is a high speed, hence the name "high speed"

for example, its not exactly high speed from Newton Abbot West, really? and this is hst served. also no records are going to be broken on the newquay branch, and this is hst served.

Simm being a desagreeing twunt as per usual :D

Jonno2055

From what I can remember the HST was designed to do a non-stop run between London and Bristol, because it doesn't the exhaust manifold kept breaking, I think thats right. I thing they've solved the problem now.

Anyway as per usual is Last group showing off, trying to make something that isn't and will never be with short distances, is unecological. By the time the train speeds up its already overshot a station. :lol:

Well I thought it was funny.

Gareth Hale

Jim said:
no matter what stock does it, only the HST (mainly) routes are classified as High Speed.

Thats not 100% True, where I come from (Burnley) the Express is ran by 155's, 156's, 158's and Maybe the 185's :blob3::blob3::blob3::blob3:

devon_metro

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
Thats not 100% True, where I come from (Burnley) the Express is ran by 155's, 156's, 158's and Maybe the 185's
I though you lived in the USA ???

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No, he was born in Burnley and moved to the USA later.

And Gareth, I hardly see your comments relevant, since we are talking about First Great Western ;)

LucaZone

What confuses me is that the franchise was announced as 'First Great Western Express' ' First Great Western Link' and 'First Great Western Local'?

Seeing as FGW Link already Existed and FGW was the HST & 180 services, why have they not kept the designations since the franchise started on April 1st?

First Great Western Link is now First Great Western
First Great Western is now First Great Western High Speed Service (wheres Express gone!)

Sprog

Established Member
LucaZone said:
What confuses me is that the franchise was announced as 'First Great Western Express' ' First Great Western Link' and 'First Great Western Local'?

Seeing as FGW Link already Existed and FGW was the HST & 180 services, why have they not kept the designations since the franchise started on April 1st?

First Great Western Link is now First Great Western
First Great Western is now First Great Western High Speed Service (wheres Express gone!)

Exactly...we discussed this in another thread

*looks*

Ah ha! http://forums.railuk.org/showthread.php?t=6144 ....there!!

IMO, 'First Great Western high speed' just doesnt sound right!

'fGW Express' would sound alot better.

I think they should have kept the 'Link' branding for all ex-Thames Trains services, and even if they decided not to use the 'Local' name for Wessx services, they should have expanded the 'Link' name to cover ex_Wessex services. Makes more sense.

It would mean the 'fasts' (HSTs and 180s) are announced as 'Express', and the 'stoppers' (Wessex and fGWL) are announced as 'Link'.

Maybe they will change it once they are settled in. If not, i may send a letter to GW Head Office enquiring about the change and giving my opinion on it.

Andrew

Main problem with that is that Oxford fasts would be First Great Western Link on that logic, when they're clearly not a stopping service (standard calling pattern Reading, Slough though some call Reading only and one calls Didcot, Maidenhead). I don't know what these services are announced as at Didcot - they're a high speed service, but ex-FGWL.

devon_metro

Established Member
I agree with Sprog there, after listening to the announcements at Newton Abbot yesterday i think that First Great Western High spedd service to ... seems silly. Why not keep it as it was and change fGW to fGW Local, as fGW has always been fast services. Most people have never known any difference yet could get confused regarding the changes to announcements!

LucaZone

Andrew said:
Main problem with that is that Oxford fasts would be First Great Western Link on that logic, when they're clearly not a stopping service (standard calling pattern Reading, Slough though some call Reading only and one calls Didcot, Maidenhead). I don't know what these services are announced as at Didcot - they're a high speed service, but ex-FGWL.

Well the announcements are stock based rather than number of station stops. So if the stock is a Turbo, whether it only stops 2-3 times before Paddington, its still using 'Link' stock. Thats why 'Express' is better than 'High Speed Service' for the HST and 180 trains. They are express trains, but due to Network Rail they may NOT be high speed services :D

Andrew

So an "express" service from Didcot Parkway can call Cholsey, Goring, Pangbourne, Tilehurst, Reading and Paddington? (There's an Adelante that's booked that every weekday morning).

Status
Not open for further replies.