• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

F1 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbon 1

The new season is upon us...

Thoughts on the first race of the new era?

I thought it was the best race in absolutely ages, proper racing again, and I'm glad to see Williams back in the points with a very competitive car, who knows where Bottas could have finished had he not clouted the wall.

Thoughts? Expectations? Predictions?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jones

Lost interest in F1 when it got too safe.

The draw of motor racing is the danger, and given that the sport has got stupidly expensive also doesn't help.

Yes.....I couldn't afford to keep racing past karts :D

Bungle73

On Moderation
Lost interest in F1 when it got too safe.

The draw of motor racing is the danger, and given that the sport has got stupidly expensive also doesn't help.

Yes.....I couldn't afford to keep racing past karts :D

Tell that to the family of Aryton Senna, or Roland Ratzenburger, or any of the other dozens of drivers killed during Grands Prix, some in quite grisly circumstances. Do you want to see a driver die during a race? I don't. I've already seen one too many. And while that might have been "acceptable" during the '60s and '70s, today culture wouldn't stand for it.

Daniel Ricciardo has been disqualified to due a fuel consumption irregularity btw. Red Bull are appealing.

DownSouth

Established Member
McLaren have been provisionally elevated to second and third after discrepancies with the fuel flow sensor on Ricciardo's car. Red Bull will appeal it of course, apparently the FIA sensors were having issues across the whole weekend with changes having to be made by the teams at the direction of the FIA.

I'm not really sure why the rule even needs to exist though. If there's a limit of 100 kilograms of fuel for the whole 1.5-2 hour race there's surely no need to also introduce an arbitrary cap of 100 kg per hour instantaneous fuel flow rate.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
T'was a fantastic race. Such a shame though that Red Bull completed screwed over Ricciardo. They'd actually been contacted by the FIA during the race to be told that Ricciardo's fuel flow rate was over the 100kg per hour limit, and they ignored it. Suffice to say, Ricciardo now has a big fat DSQ alongside his name, and the jubilant podium celebrations by the crowd were all in vain.

Other great things about the race:

Magnussen getting on the podium on his debut. Future world champion right here.

With all of the trouble they had and the gloomy predictions that neither car would last very long, Lotus got both of their cars past half-distance, and whilst neither made the chequered flag, they were already faster than Sauber.

It was refreshing to see Vettel failing to finish. That nine-race winning streak last year saw me actually turn off several races midway through. :(

Max Chilton got his highest ever finish, 13th! :D

(I am a massive Chilton fan, if you didn't know beforehand. ;))

All I can say is, BRING ON MALAYSIA!

DownSouth

Established Member
Whether it's a P2 or DSQ will not be confirmed until the appeal is heard, purely looking at the FIA communiques across the weekend regarding the poor functioning of their sensors it looks like there's enough in this for it to be worth pursuing as far as the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

bnm

Established Member
An interesting start to the new season. Some great drives by the rookies and those in their first drive with a new team.

Genuinely pleased to see Jenson Button back near the front. His dad would be proud.

Also great to see Williams with what appear to be a competitive car again. Excellent drive (excepting the bump with the wall) from Bottas.

Some 'what ifs' from the day that denied us some interesting scenarios: Hamilton and Rosberg racing each other. Vettel coming through the field. Massa in amongst it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
An interesting start to the new season. Some great drives by the rookies and those in their first drive with a new team.

Genuinely pleased to see Jenson Button back near the front. His dad would be proud.

Also great to see Williams with what appear to be a competitive car again. Excellent drive (excepting the bump with the wall) from Bottas.

Some 'what ifs' from the day that denied us some interesting scenarios: Hamilton and Rosberg racing each other. Vettel coming through the field. Massa in amongst it.
Ooo. Post approved twice. I'm honoured. Doesn't make up for the arbitrary nature of other decisions whether to allow or disallow my contributions to the forum.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I was a little saddened to see the race was won by a German again, and that he basically ran away with it, but at least it wasn't the same German.

I think this season could be quite interesting, at least until the reliability is sorted. The Williams does look genuinely quick in the dry, but perhaps not so much in the wet.

bnm

Established Member
I was a little saddened to see the race was won by a German again, and that he basically ran away with it, but at least it wasn't the same German.

Dual nationality. Finnish father, German mother. Resident all his life in Monaco. Chooses to race under the German flag.

zn1

watched the highlights on bbc...the cars sound great, as loud i think, love the whining when they slow down...vettel can show us now how good he really is...without the best car on the track...red bull were foolish with the fuel flow, but all in all a great first race, kobyashi is back....and the ever dependable maxi chilton brought it his bus home...hes a good reliable driver...and one that all the teams should grab if he ever leaves....

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
As loud as before? are you sure you watched this race and not a repeat of a previous race?:lol:

There is, however, no truth in the rumour that Unigate have submitted an application to enter a team...

90sWereBetter

Wow, what a race last night! Seriously, F1's produced two awesome races in a row, and I wouldn't be surprised if Austria in two weeks time does the same, because that's a fantastic car-breaking circuit.

So incredibly happy for Daniel Ricciardo. Such a deserving win, and hopefully the first of many.

I almost cried when I saw that Max Chilton had retired on the first lap, and what a horrible way to go, taking out his team mate in the process. And with the amount of reliability issues throughout the field (unreliability is fantastic, let's enjoy it whilst it lasts), Marussia could've easily taken some more points. Alas, the race-finishing streak is over. :cry:

Can't believe the stewards got the decision over the Perez-Massa incident so incredibly wrong. At no point in that move was Massa alongside Perez. Perez was entitled to take any line he so wished, and the circuit curves at that point so it seemed to me he was just following the natural racing line. And in any case, Massa shouldn't have even been behind Perez at that point, he should've been ahead of Ricciardo if he hadn't bottled that pass on Vettel a few laps earlier. Seriously, to put the blame on Perez for that crash is absolutely illogical. But then again, stewards are fools, we know that.

All in all, what a season it's proving to be. I pity those who can't enjoy it because it's not loud enough for them, because honestly that's a ridiculous excuse. :roll:

Hopefully Rosberg wins this title.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Wow, what a race last night! Seriously, F1's produced two awesome races in a row, and I wouldn't be surprised if Austria in two weeks time does the same, because that's a fantastic car-breaking circuit....

Really? Monaco was good?, well okay then......

.....Can't believe the stewards got the decision over the Perez-Massa incident so incredibly wrong. At no point in that move was Massa alongside Perez. Perez was entitled to take any line he so wished, and the circuit curves at that point so it seemed to me he was just following the natural racing line. And in any case, Massa shouldn't have even been behind Perez at that point, he should've been ahead of Ricciardo if he hadn't bottled that pass on Vettel a few laps earlier. Seriously, to put the blame on Perez for that crash is absolutely illogical. But then again, stewards are fools, we know that....

The impression I got from the replays was that Perez moved to the left slightly just before breaking and obviously caught Massa out. Massa may have been expecting to glide down the inside into turn one and was probably a bit too close, so the penalty is a little harsh, but I don't think it was 'wrong' as such.

..... I pity those who can't enjoy it because it's not loud enough for them, because honestly that's a ridiculous excuse. :roll:....

Tbh, I can't enjoy it because the BBC commentary is too loud.....<D

David

Established Member
Can't believe the stewards got the decision over the Perez-Massa incident so incredibly wrong.

It's a tough 1 to call that. Perez did appear to move left a little, while Massa was steering right (following the curve of the track), but the replays, IMO were inconclusive. Remember, the stewards to have access to other camera feeds, plus all the data from the 2 cars to look at as well, but ....

If Perez was struggling badly with a brake problem as the radio chatter a few laps prior said he was, then he should have parked the car anyway, so the penalty could be as much for driving a car in a dangerous condition which was then a causal factor in the collision.

Oh, did anyone notice what Vettel did in the previous corner? Thats right, forced Perez to put a wheel partially on the grass to avoid a collision, something else which slowed him slightly ....

David

Established Member
Can't believe the stewards got the decision over the Perez-Massa incident so incredibly wrong.

It's a tough 1 to call that. Perez did appear to move left a little, while Massa was steering right (following the curve of the track), but the replays, IMO were inconclusive. Remember, the stewards to have access to other camera feeds, plus all the data from the 2 cars to look at as well, but ....

If Perez was struggling badly with a brake problem as the radio chatter a few laps prior said he was, then he should have parked the car anyway, so the penalty could be as much for driving a car in a dangerous condition which was then a causal factor in the collision.

Oh, did anyone notice what Vettel did in the previous corner? Thats right, forced Perez to put a wheel partially on the grass to avoid a collision, something else which slowed him slightly ....

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
On the sound issue, F1 cars have never been as good to listen to as DTM cars or good old nitro dragsters. The noise issue is something that most people wouldn't have even noticed, particularly on TV, if Bernie hadn't kept on about it.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
On the sound issue, F1 cars have never been as good to listen to as DTM cars or good old nitro dragsters. The noise issue is something that most people wouldn't have even noticed, particularly on TV, if Bernie hadn't kept on about it.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member

DownSouth

Established Member
Should have been called a racing incident and neither driver penalised, collisions are a part of proper close racing (and also artificial DRS racing) and not every one needs to have blame assigned and a penalty handed down.

Maybe Massa deserved something for not also taking out Vettel along the way,
The noise issue is something that most people wouldn't have even noticed, particularly on TV, if Bernie hadn't kept on about it.
He is doing a rather good job of substituting for the old high-pitched whine isn't he?

It did take a couple of races for the FOM TV crews to get their equipment right for the new sound, but it's good now. The onboard camera audio is now particularly excellent, that doesn't need fixing.

Harbon 1

Re the Massa and Perez incident, I think the fault does lie with Perez, although I don't think a penalty should be given for it. Although Vettel got one hell of a lucky escape! Could've been a lot worse had Massa sliced into Vettel.

A well deserved win for Ricciardo though, great to see him on the top step, and the problems throughout the race for Mercedes just made it more exciting!

Rosburg should have received a penalty for gaining an advantage off the track when he cut the chicane though.

Bring on Austria :D

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
He is doing a rather good job of substituting for the old high-pitched whine isn't he?

And we're talking about his whining rather than his criminal court case in Germany, so it's working.

It'll be interesting how the stupid double points race pans out, that's for sure.

Butts

Veteran Member
Well after the "spin off" at Interlagos it's all down to the last race in Abu Dhabi on 23rd November.

With double point's on offer as long as Hamilton Wins, or if Rosberg does, comes second, he will be World Champion for the second time.

Bearing in mind how Hamilton won his first title, a clean win at Abu Dhabi would be the preferred option. :p

Harbon 1

I missed the spin because I dropped off for 10 laps :lol: I didn't know what they were on about when they said 'spin'

I'd like Hamilton to win it, purely because I'm not a fan or Rosberg, Mercedies or Hamilton to be honest, but he's British!

And it was over a year of the German national anthem being played on the podium every single race, from Spain 2013 (Alonso) to Canada 2013 (Ricciardo).

And they've announced three car teams for next year which I think is a bit rubbish, we need variety not more of the same team to bulk up the grid!

90sWereBetter

I was enthralled by the season all the way up to the start of October. The racing has been nothing short of fantastic at most races this season. But the horrific Bianchi accident, and then Caterham and Marussia going into administration (two of my favourite teams as well :( ) has put a real downer on what had been a great season.

Really hoping Rosberg wins the title at Abu Dhabi, mainly because I can't stand Hamilton (despite being a Brit myself).

Butts

Veteran Member
I was enthralled by the season all the way up to the start of October. The racing has been nothing short of fantastic at most races this season. But the horrific Bianchi accident, and then Caterham and Marussia going into administration (two of my favourite teams as well :( ) has put a real downer on what had been a great season.

Really hoping Rosberg wins the title at Abu Dhabi, mainly because I can't stand Hamilton (despite being a Brit myself).

Take him to the Tower - Traitor <D

Status
Not open for further replies.