• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

F1 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Hey, if it was Jenson Button or Max Chilton, or one of the up and coming British drivers like Alex Lynn, Jolyon Palmer or Jann Mardenborough, I'd be supporting them if they were fighting for the title. Hamilton, despite the fact he's a great driver in the best car, has spent so much of this season whinging and bitching about things, and it's really got on my nerves. <(

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
And Jenson Button hasn't spent most of the last two seasons whinging about something?

Anyway, I see Marcus Ericsson has parted company with what remains of Caterham, presumably that opens the door for Alice Powell if they do actually make it to the last race???

Personally I think Hamilton deserves to win it this season, yes he may have whinged and bitched about stuff, so have a few drivers, but he's won ten of the races (admittedly with the best car) and had to put up with some bad stuff (like Rosberg).

Rosberg isn't exactly undeserving imo, but I think his inner Schumacher has surfaced this season.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Hamilton, despite the fact he's a great driver in the best car, has spent so much of this season whinging and bitching about things, and it's really got on my nerves. <(

All F1 drivers whinge and moan about stuff, but I really don't think Hamilton's done anything that Rosberg hasn't.

I have a feeling that Rosberg is going to win the title thanks to this stupid double points rule. If hamilton has any sense he'd "accidentally" clip him in the first corner, just like Rosberg did at Spa.

GB

Established Member
No many drivers bitch and moan on the radio to their engineers to try and withdraw from the race because it wasn't going their way.

Clip

Established Member
Im with some others on ehre about Hamilton. He just annoys me and im sure his accent has changed also. And he never moaned about double points when he was behind Rosberg only when it was getting close to it possibly being the deciding factor.

I just dont like him.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
No many drivers bitch and moan on the radio to their engineers to try and withdraw from the race because it wasn't going their way.

Have you ever listened to the radio transmissions from other drivers? Kamui Kobayashi was doing it the other week and Jenson "I've no grip guys!" Button, Seb Vettel and Alonso seem to do little else other than bitch about how their car is a complete dog.

Withdrawing when you've got no chance of points is a sensible tactic given that everything on a car is mileage-restricted now.

I don't like Hamilton either, but he doesn't do anything that every other F1 driver doesn't do.

Darandio

Established Member
Seems Rosberg had a little jibe at Hamilton during the press conference before the final weekend, Button's reaction says it all. :lol:

[youtube]s372iZKMdAU[/youtube]

Butts

Veteran Member
Well done Lewis Hamilton winning the F1 title without resorting to the "double points" which has thankfully passed into history. :p Eleven Race wins thoroughly deserved Champion.

GB

Established Member
Respect to Nico for finishing the race. Not a Hamilton fan but happy he won.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I am glad to see that someone has actually realised that Hamilton did actually win no less than eleven of the races.

*Cough*

....Personally I think Hamilton deserves to win it this season, yes he may have whinged and bitched about stuff, so have a few drivers, but he's won ten of the races (admittedly with the best car) and had to put up with some bad stuff (like Rosberg).....

That was before Sundays race, which was Hamilton's eleventh win.

DownSouth

Established Member
Have you ever listened to the radio transmissions from other drivers? Kamui Kobayashi was doing it the other week and Jenson "I've no grip guys!" Button, Seb Vettel and Alonso seem to do little else other than bitch about how their car is a complete dog.
Those transmissions are obviously cherry-picked to find the most dramatic ones for the TV. If you go to a race with a scanner, you'll find that the vast majority of car-pit radio is quite boring.
And Jenson Button hasn't spent most of the last two seasons whinging about something?
Fifteen seasons I thought, even during the Brawn GP year.
Not a Hamilton fan
I don't like Hamilton either,
Im with some others on ehre about Hamilton. He just annoys me … I just dont like him.
Hamilton, despite the fact he's a great driver in the best car, has spent so much of this season whinging and bitching about things, and it's really got on my nerves. <(
Is there really a lot of hate for Hamilton among the British public?

Sure, he was a supercilious little prat in his first few years in F1, but I reckon he's done a decent job of growing up in the last three or so years. I wonder whether it was the enforced humility of driving a midfield car once McLaren's slump started, or his run-in with the law in Melbourne when the police refused to let him off with a wink and a signed race cap like European cops would, or something else in his personal life perhaps?

What would it take for the British public to love him? Would it help if he actually lived in Britain and paid British taxes instead of hiding out in a tax haven and using the Union Jack as a flag of convenience?
It could also get him a bit more love from within the team, something that could be learned from the popularity of Mark Webber with his mechanics which was won by his living locally, regular presence at the Red Bull factory and heading out to support his team staff members' kids at their junior sports on his weekends off.

Seems Rosberg had a little jibe at Hamilton during the press conference before the final weekend, Button's reaction says it all. :lol:
Damn, F1 drivers' press conferences are boring these days. We need to get Bruno Senna, Mark Webber, Rubens Barrichello and Juan Pablo Montoya back into the sport.

Senna is a good addition to the Sky broadcast when he does special comments and expert analysis on weeks when Anthony Davidson is busy with WEC driving for Toyota. They should make that change permanent.

Hey, if it was Jenson Button or Max Chilton, or one of the up and coming British drivers like Alex Lynn, Jolyon Palmer or Jann Mardenborough, I'd be supporting them if they were fighting for the title.
He wasn't exactly fighting for the title, but I thought Will Stevens put in a reasonable performance at the Abu Dhabi GP substituting for Marcus Ericsson. Despite his inexperience and the fact he was driving the worst car on the grid, he qualified well within the 107% margin and only dropped one lap during the race.

Things are looking rather interesting with the Caterham F1 ownership/administration/liquidation situation. They are running at the post-season testing at Abu Dhabi with Stevens and Kobayashi, and the administrator Finbar O'Connell is saying it's quite important for keeping them as a viable F1 team for 2015, so the intention is obviously to sell the team as a going concern.

The solution to the whole cost issue is, in my opinion, allowing teams to race with customer cars bought from the bigger teams and forcing the interfaces for the power units to be standardised from 2016 onwards so the chassis and power units can be mixed and matched. Or to put it simply - take everything that is good about LMP2 and apply it to F1.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The solution to the whole cost issue is, in my opinion, allowing teams to race with customer cars bought from the bigger teams

I can think of nothing worse than that idea. Joe Saward explains why with far more insight than I can.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/10/27/why-customer-cars-and-third-cars-are-are-wrong/

Hate is a strong word, but I think Hamilton is someone you either like or dislike. You can't really be ambivalent about him.

I think he's a truly gifted racer but comes across like a bit of a tit in his personal life. His whining about taxation in the UK just summed him up.

GB

Established Member
<snip>

Sure, he was a supercilious little prat in his first few years in F1, but I reckon he's done a decent job of growing up in the last three or so years. I wonder whether it was the enforced humility of driving a midfield car once McLaren's slump started, or his run-in with the law in Melbourne when the police refused to let him off with a wink and a signed race cap like European cops would, or something else in his personal life perhaps?

What would it take for the British public to love him?

Hate is a bit of a strong word, I (and I don't think others) have claimed to hate the guy.

In any case, he has a huge British fan base.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I can think of nothing worse than that idea. Joe Saward explains why with far more insight than I can.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/10/27/why-customer-cars-and-third-cars-are-are-wrong/

Hate is a strong word, but I think Hamilton is someone you either like or dislike. You can't really be ambivalent about him.

I think he's a truly gifted racer but comes across like a bit of a tit in his personal life. His whining about taxation in the UK just summed him up.

Um, where's the "whinning"? He was asked a direct question and he answered it.

Status
Not open for further replies.