• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Face coverings mandatory in shops in Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

PR1Berske

Established Member
One factor I want to mention is how for many in the West, particularly the UK, wearing masks in public is alien. There is suddenly a markedly different look and feel to our familiar surroundings. People will feel peculiar as they notice a sudden upsurge in masked faces. People might feel uneasy and wary and uncomfortable, perhaps even emotionally strong enough to sense anger or resentment.

For mask wearers themselves the alien nature manifests in not being accurately told how to wear one and how to behave while wearing one. As said above the correct and safe way to wear a mask is over the mouth and nose, without filters or similar design elements, with no adjustments or fiddling, and to dispose of them correctly. This might seem common sense, only in our society there has been little education about how to wear them and how to dispose of them. For many first-time wearers, even getting the blue-side facing out has been a training exercise!

I work in an NHS hospital and so must wear a mask when walking around the grounds and corridors. It has become second nature because there is no other option. If I want to nip to the toilet I have to now remember to both lock down my computer *and* wear a mask. The actions are now linked. It has taken some time and it is now part of the routine. I can imagine that the weekly shopper has not got that routine/muscle memory as part of their lives yet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kez19

Established Member
Regarding masks and the general public wearing them, I have seen these masks been left on the ground disposable ones (no not put in the bin actually on the ground and ... even left on a bus!), I get where people say people should know how to wear them but maybe to throw this in the ring but actually putting them in bins properly it defeats the whole purpose! (its going down the same route with the gloves... but the irresponsible ones are just dumping them on the ground but I wouldn't bet that some of those are the ones moaning about it)

Pete_uk

Established Member
If the main reason behind masks are to prevent droplets from getting airborne, what difference does it make if it's 'fiddled with'?

Bantamzen

Established Member
If the main reason behind masks are to prevent droplets from getting airborne, what difference does it make if it's 'fiddled with'?

Because it increases the risk of passing it onto common surfaces, and if subsequently then passed on a mask or onto the face it increases the risk of infection. People are much more likely to interact with the same common surfaces than they are the same bodies of air.

Status
Not open for further replies.