• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

failed 92 on 1S25! (14/04/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well it's possible but the 92s will be fixed up shortly so i doubt they will be thinking of that scenario at the moment. The 92s are supposed to be more suited to the new stock as previous poster has said in this thread.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Earlier in the thread I think it was stated that the problem with the 92s was that they were too easily upset by (minor) faults in the ETS for the older coaches.

The parallel I would draw is with the household RCD (Residual Current Device) equipment we were encouraged to use with our outdoor equipment (lawn-mowers, hedge/trimmers etc). Shops got a number of these RCDs returned as they kept tripping. It turned out in many cases that the RCD was not faulty but that the lawn-mower had a minor earth fault.

So I suggest new coaches is what the 92s need. I could, alteratively, suggest that the 92s need to be de-specced to allow for the type of electrical problems that 86s, 87s and 90s are not capable of noticing.

I could be completely wrong and I do think that locomotives that have lain unused for decades (iirc ?) will quite possibly have more problems than brand new un-tested locomotives. So perhaps those problems just need ironing out - but quickly while there are still customers !.

zn1

The 92's haven't been really used on proper passenger job use have they, fine on freight work, but they have to get used to the foilables of the MK3 power systems, some retuning of the beasts will soon have em sorted..Its about time the 92's were used on some full time passenger jobs, they are I believe one of the most underutilised fleets on the national and European networks.

Fishplate84

It looks like the coaches really are fragile and being nursed along on a patch and mend basis. While a stability might have been achieved with the old loco's and operating arrangement, this has been unsettled by the new loco's and maintenance and operating arrangements.

It suggests to me that a solution that meant refurbishing the current stock would have been completely wrong. So much money would need to have been spent upgrading the oily bits and basic electrics and architecture of the coaches, that there would have been next to no money left to make any decent changes to the customer facing things, which is what Transport Scotland were actually more interested in delivering.
Serco just needs to nurse the current stock to 2018 and then I think there will be a huge step change in reliability and quality so they can deliver properly on the promises of decent food and wifi etc. Leave the Mk 3's to the heritage people, the sleeper needs to be a modern business using modern equipment if it is to thrive long term.

Bodiddly

It looks like the coaches really are fragile and being nursed along on a patch and mend basis. While a stability might have been achieved with the old loco's and operating arrangement, this has been unsettled by the new loco's and maintenance and operating arrangements.

It suggests to me that a solution that meant refurbishing the current stock would have been completely wrong. So much money would need to have been spent upgrading the oily bits and basic electrics and architecture of the coaches, that there would have been next to no money left to make any decent changes to the customer facing things, which is what Transport Scotland were actually more interested in delivering.
Serco just needs to nurse the current stock to 2018 and then I think there will be a huge step change in reliability and quality so they can deliver properly on the promises of decent food and wifi etc. Leave the Mk 3's to the heritage people, the sleeper needs to be a modern business using modern equipment if it is to thrive long term.

You would be amazed at the amount of internal wiring that goes into a mk3 sleeper and also how very well constructed the berths are. We were told to strip a sleeper coach we were getting rid of of any parts we could get. I was in a berth for nearly a full day and never got near stripping the parts I wanted!
The sleeper can be great again after the new stock arrives but at the moment it's just looking tired and a bit sad really.

Last edited:

CosherB

Established Member
Would the problems with the 92s perhaps convince an argument that new electrics should be purchased in time for the CAF stock to arrive? Or would that not be feasible?

I doubt it. 92's are likely to be the only existing electric loco able to haul the new rakes of CAF stock in a few years because of ETS demands - even the 90's may not cope. With plenty of GBRf 92's available and some 'recommissioning' time currently ongoing (which perhaps should have been sorted much sooner), I wouldn't think they've costed in new haulage for this sleeper.

And what would they go for in a new build? A new micro fleet of 88's with 'super ETS'?

Yeah you would have to think so either that or it could be an exam taking place in Willesden. More than likely back on ECS duties dunno if the skoda is a newly hired in one or not. I think 90019 was the other one on the highland turn. 1s26 was a Serco liveried 92 tonight so I think that could be one of the failed ones back on the loose.

Think that one is 018 so Until a 92 go's pop 87002 Back on ECS duties

alexf380

Established Member
Southbound Lowland on Thursday 7th and Northbound Lowland on Friday 8th were both hauled by Grey 92044, which was a surprise. Are any green 92s serviceable yet?

Last night: 92044 1M11. 90018 1M16. 90035 1S25. 92033 1S26. 87002 on ECS moves.

Tonight: 92033 1M11. 90018 1S25. 87002 5S96. 1M16 no allox from Edinburgh, but 90018 there so presumed to be that. 1S26 no allox from Euston, but 92044 there so presumed to be that.

Last edited:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Last night: 92044 1M11. 90018 1M16. 90035 1S25. 92033 1S26. 87002 on ECS moves.

Tonight: 92033 1M11. 90018 1S25. 87002 5S96. 1M16 no allox from Edinburgh, but 90018 there so presumed to be that. 1S26 no allox from Euston, but 92044 there so presumed to be that.

I understand that both 92033 (1M11)and 92044 (1S26) had "traction issues" en-route last night though both completed their journeys.

Something did look odd on RTT 1S26 was 40 late into Glasgow sat at Preston for almost 30 mins. 1M11 sat at Carlisle for 30 mins as well so all is still not right with them.

najaB

Veteran Member
Were there any issues on the northbound Highland service on Monday? The southbound Aberdeen portion was in reverse formation last night - first time I've ever seen that, also it was closest to the loco at Euston. From memory, it's normally in the middle, or maybe that's just because it was 'backwards'.

Ianigsy

It was 2000 when I last took the Highland sleeper, but from memory the Aberdeen lounge car also served the Fort William portion (presumably why it was in the middle). Perhaps it's indicative of new management looking at another way of handling the split at Waverley, or there may be a short-term issue on one of the routes which is causing a portion to arrive later than normal.

Not sure what the booked order is, but on Friday into Saturday 17/18 April and 01/02 May, the ABD portion was next to the loco, at the southernmost end.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Considering I'm on the sleeper this Thursday (from Euston) this is nice and nerves inducing!

Atlantic loco

There was a tweet this morning from Caledonian Sleeper that the Euston to Inverness train was delayed by a broken down train and would be 80 minutes late. As it transpired this was a wildly optimistic estimate!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah so it wasn't the sleeper that broke down then? Does anyone know what did brake down?

Atlantic loco

I have seen it reported in another place that a Kings Cross to Leeds train got stuck in a neutral section. This was the possible culprit.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I have seen it reported in another place that a Kings Cross to Leeds train got stuck in a neutral section. This was the possible culprit.

How does this affect a sleeper on the West Coast Mainline ?. Unless it was a knock on effect as a result of a Kings Cross to Edinburgh (or further North) service being caught up in it all.

Domh245

Established Member
If you look at the linked realtimetrains schedule, you will see the sleeper was routed via the ecml

Peter Sarf

Established Member
If you look at the linked realtimetrains schedule, you will see the sleeper was routed via the ecml

Ah - did not realise that :oops:. I had noticed that in BBC travel news it was stated that the services were affected by engineering works and I was going to ask if that was part of the problem. Answered already, thanks.

So how long is the diversion going on for - seems to be a few days so far ?. I assume that given the easy timings the sleepers are not adversely effected time wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.