• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Failed at DMI (GTR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pafff

Hi guys,
I had my DMI for GTR last week.
Reading the posts here I was quite optimistic. I had passed the whole assessment and MMI, so this seemed like a final step to a dream job.
I got prepared very well about GTR - all the numbers, all routes, commitments, current rolling stock and I even knew that Class 700 is going to be introduced sooner than previously planned. So it all seemed very well. I was quite confident (maybe overconfident?).

Anyway, next day I got an email "Your application demonstrated many strengths however other candidates skills and experience were more closely aligned to the requirements of this particular role." It just seems my answers to other questions were not really what they wanted... or they did not like something about my personality...

I felt completely guttered for a few days and still cannot look at passing trains...

So, guys, I'd like your advice. I heard that the results of assessments (and MMI) are valid for a few years so next time if I go through application stage I would be sent directly to DMI. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, do you think I would still have any chances to apply for any GTR branches? I failed at Great Northern. Would they still considered me for TL or Southern? Are DMI run by the same managers for all these branches or there are different ones for each branch?

Any help much appreciated.
And good luck for those still awaiting their DMI.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave999

You can apply again in 6 months to any GTR company, I know someone who failed DMI and then 6 months later applied again and went straight to DMI and passed.

It's hard to get so far then fall at the last hurdle but don't give up, work on your Interview skills as much as possible and give it your best shot next time.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Should be date of DMI. Typically the wording of applications is "have you failed any part of the process in the last 6 months" Therefore, I would suggest its the date of the failure.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Hi guys,
Reading the posts here I was quite optimistic. I had passed the whole assessment and MMI, so this seemed like a final step to a dream job.
I got prepared very well about GTR - all the numbers, all routes, commitments, current rolling stock and I even knew that Class 700 is going to be introduced sooner than previously planned. So it all seemed very well. I was quite confident (maybe overconfident?).

Anyway, next day I got an email "Your application demonstrated many strengths however other candidates skills and experience were more closely aligned to the requirements of this particular role." It just seems my answers to other questions were not really what they wanted... or they did not like something about my personality...

I felt completely guttered for a few days and still cannot look at passing trains...

So, guys, I'd like your advice. I heard that the results of assessments (and MMI) are valid for a few years so next time if I go through application stage I would be sent directly to DMI. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, do you think I would still have any chances to apply for any GTR branches? I failed at Great Northern. Would they still considered me for TL or Southern? Are DMI run by the same managers for all these branches or there are different ones for each branch?

Sorry to hear that.

Had you already passed your MMI? The DMI isn't part of the "official" process and doesn't count as one of your two lives, so I guess that could be some consolation.

I would contact them and ask for as much specific, detailed feedback as possible to find out what went wrong.

baz962

Established Member
Hi guys,

So sorry for you pafff I have passed all except dmi which I have a week Tuesday for gn. The mmi was what I was worried about most I thought that if I got through that then I should be ok with dmi if I prepare well but Im worried now lol, but as others have said its not part of two strikes its a job interview so go again when you can or try another toc

GMT

I understand your frustration, it is a big nuisance, but you are in a very strong position. Once you have passed assessment and MMI you are really nearly there. Just a delay for you. I would have liked being in your position, as I failed the MMI, which is part of the two lives.

You may have been just unlucky. Perhaps if you had had different interviewers you may have passed. Or perhaps there was really plenty of valid candidates to choose from and they had to skim somehow.

Good luck for your next attempt.

pafff

Cheers Bromley boy,

I wrote to them for the feedback from my GTR account but no answer yet.
Yes, I have passed the whole assessment, including MMI.

pafff

Cheers GMT,
You may be right. Now looking back I think I paid too much attention to impress them with my knowledge of the TOC but not as much to other questions. I just thought genuine answers about my experience would be enough, but apparently it wasn't.
Good luck with the next strike at both MMI and DMI!

baz962

Established Member
Cheers GMT,
You may be right. Now looking back I think I paid too much attention to impress them with my knowledge of the TOC but not as much to other questions. I just thought genuine answers about my experience would be enough, but apparently it wasn't.
Good luck with the next strike at both MMI and DMI!

What questions did you think you should of improved on mate

PhoenixBC

Hi pafff,
Sorry to hear of your disappointment. I know it must be hard for you but you will get another chance in the future. Try not to be too disheartened as you are already in a strong position and can only build on your recent dmi experience. Life, is not always as kind as we would like it to be sometimes, but it can make us stronger as a result, and it will for you. Stay positive and chin up mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.