• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fairwater - Penryn

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJamesBrown

Any Ideas on what the best ways to split the ticket to here would involve...I don't have any specific dates yet, just looking to see if I can get the ticket down a bit :)
Looking to travel one day and come back the next

Also I have a 16-25 railcard

Thanks
James

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrJamesBrown

I am thinking mid week, and 9am leaving Fairwater, and around 2pm leaving Penryn.
Am I correct in saying that splitting in Bristol Temple Meads will save a couple of pounds?

richw

Veteran Member
There are advance singles available from Cardiff to Penryn and vice versa from £15.20 but obviously depend when you wish to travel, if these are available

(am I right in thinking Fairwater is slightly north from cardiff?)

MrJamesBrown

Yes, you are correct, it is 3 stops on the city line from Cardiff, bizarrely the advance fares from Cardiff are the same price from Fairwater

richw

Veteran Member
would you be able to arrange transport from Cardiff to your home at around midnight on your return?
with some adjusted timings
Leaving from Cardiff at 900 to arrive Penryn at 1504 will be at the moment on advance single £12.55
Returning from Penryn at 1740 arrive cardiff at 2356 advance single of £9.55
(£55.75 for an off peak return)
My sample date is 5th oct coming down returning 6th october.
Fairwater-Cardiff being £2.20 single, but based on being able to get from Cardiff at the above timings!

TEW

Established Member
Splitting at Highbridge and Saltash is going to slow down your journey considerably. You'd have to catch a stopper from Bristol to Taunton and only around half of services call at Saltash.

How about a 3in7 Freedom of the South West Rover. That will cover you from Cardiff to Penryn, it actually gives you unlimited off peak travel in a very large area, as well as the two days you plan to travel it would also allow you another days travel. That costs £46.20 with a railcard. You would then need two singles Fairwater-Cardiff and return, £1.45 each.

Total cost is £49.10 compared to £55.25 for the through walk up fare. But you have a very flexible ticket and a free days travel thrown in.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/manag...e3842403e09/areaMap/Freedom_of_South_West.pdf

The above map shows the area in which your rover would be valid.

MrJamesBrown

Oooh, the FoSW does look best, just one small question regarding it...is it available to buy on board? and also is it only valid on FGW services?

richw

Veteran Member
I looked up those splits before posting it on NRE and it looked like it'd only slow it down by about an hour at most times. The FoSW rover option is a very good one though - I'd recommend it for flexibility.

Its almost 6 hours taking the most direct options which is shocking considering its a 3 1/2 hour drive by car!

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
You "can" buy it on board, although not all conductors will know about it or how to do it. And no - it is valid on many operators services as detailed on this page.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/pr0f61f9c35ce741009c0e3842403e09/details.html
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Its almost 6 hours taking the most direct options which is shocking considering its a 3 1/2 hour drive by car!

Whereas it's only usually just over 5 hours - so not much of a slow down at all really. But this argument isn't really relevant to the topic!

MrJamesBrown

Thankyou to everybody that has replied...one of the reasons why I use this website so often...I love for trains also helps :P

richw

Veteran Member
OP if you require any local knowledge to Penryn, I live about 1-2 mins walk from the station! Strangely my brother lives about 5 min walk from waun gron parc (sp?), i believe the next station towards central from Fairwater!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Whereas it's only usually just over 5 hours - so not much of a slow down at all really. But this argument isn't really relevant to the topic!

Normally i take the "usual" direct option its around 5hrs 50 mins to Waun gron parc, the next stop from fairwater, so very minor difference splitting, as long as the correct services are caught with good connections for relevant calling services!

MrJamesBrown

OP if you require any local knowledge to Penryn, I live about 1-2 mins walk from the station! Strangely my brother lives about 5 min walk from waun gron parc (sp?), i believe the next station towards central from Fairwater!

I live equidistant from Waun-gron park and Fairwater, just use Fairwater more :)
+ Thanks going down to visit some friends in the Exeter Uni campus :)

richw

Veteran Member
I live between the station and the campus, (greenwood road)
Have you been down here before? If not you'll be surprised by the decent level of public transport in comparism to other smallish towns the size of Penrun. We have a bus every 5-10 mins towards Falmouth if not more often thinking about it, every 15mins to Truro, and a train every 30 mins in each direction Falmouth/Truro.

If you are intending for a night out whilst down here, I'd recommend being down here for either a Monday night, or Thursday night. The rest of the nights (other than Saturday,but you said midweek) are dead quiet and the clubs dont open and the pubs shut early!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Oooh, the FoSW does look best, just one small question regarding it...is it available to buy on board? and also is it only valid on FGW services?

Buying onboard the code you need is I855, and the description is "FOSW ROVER 3in7".

MrJamesBrown

I live between the station and the campus, (greenwood road)
Have you been down here before? If not you'll be surprised by the decent level of public transport in comparism to other smallish towns the size of Penrun. We have a bus every 5-10 mins towards Falmouth if not more often thinking about it, every 15mins to Truro, and a train every 30 mins in each direction Falmouth/Truro.

If you are intending for a night out whilst down here, I'd recommend being down here for either a Monday night, or Thursday night. The rest of the nights (other than Saturday,but you said midweek) are dead quiet and the clubs dont open and the pubs shut early!

Yeahh, it would be my first time down there :) + Thanks for the recommendations :)

TEW

Established Member
Buying onboard the code you need is I855, and the description is "FOSW ROVER 3in7".

The guard also has to click Secondary Options-Rover Enquiry, then enter the code. Just entering it on the normal ticket issuing screen will not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.