• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Famous people on trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loads, off the top of my head:
Alan Hanson (erse)

Yes, agreed...although that was from a footballing visit, rather than train based....

...back on the railway however...

James Corden
Laura Sadler (actress who died in tragic circumstances)
Colin Baker
Joe Brown (very easy going, sound gent)
Kid Jensen
Brian Cant (no disappointment to meet a childhood hero)
Geoffrey Palmer
Chris Eubank
Ken Barrie (another childhood hero)
Terry Waite
Stephen Tompkinson
Brett Anderson
Benny Andersson
Jenny Bond
Stirling Gallacher
Craig Revel Horwood
Eric Knowles
Peter Beardsley
Shane Richie
Simon Williams

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mrcheek

Established Member
Sat opposite Victor Ubogu an a train from Paddington to Bath a few years back. I gather he is a regular on that journey, as is the actor Anthony Stewart-Head

I also shared a carriage with Norman Lovett (the original Holly from Red Dwarf) from Crewe to Euston earlier this year.

Plus Ive seen Paul Hiney twice at stations, once at Southampton, and again at Paddington.

xotGD

Established Member
On the theme of sighting senior Labour politicians, I was once on the same bus as Roy Hattersley in Birmingham, saw Margaret Beckett on Derby station and Michael Foot at Newcastle.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Loads, off the top of my head:

Kirsty Wark

Duke of Edinburgh 2 days in a row, compete with armed security and personal butler

Sir Alex Ferguson (gent)

Ian Murray (former Hibernian and The Rangers player)

Ally McCoist (sound as ****)

Alan Hanson (erse)

Gordon Brown

Roy Walker

Alex Salmond

Various Lords to/from London, they are regulars

Princess Anne

David Dimbleby

Lorraine Kelly

Stephen Jardine (stv news)

Tam Cowan (Scottish comedian, radio/tv presenter and Motherwell Fc fan)

Steven Presssley former Hearts and Leicester (booooo)

Alan Shearer

There are more but I can't remember at the moment. Usually a weekly occurrence that I'll see a famous face on my services.

No way!!! Im so jealous! I want to meet Lorraine Kelly! Been on the set of her ITV show quite a few times when its been presented by the ever lovely Fiona Phillips, but not when shes done it.

Essexman

Established Member
Spoken to -
Ex Liverpool footballer Craig Johnston on C2C
1970s West Ham footballer Bill Green on C2C

Same carriage as -
Dennis Waterman in FGW restaurant
Some bloke from Coronation Street in FGW first class (I think he runs café in the show)

Same train as -

Barry Davies (Match of Day commentator) GNER at Leeds (He was commentating on West Ham match I was going to).

Seen at station -

Statto (Angus Loughran) from Fantasy Football league at Euston

anti-pacer

Established Member
You're probably thinking "who", but I saw Ray Ashcroft on a train from Norwich to Sheffield way back in 1993. He later went on to play a detective in The Bill for a few years, but has appeared in all the big soaps. I also met, and had my photo taken with Portillo at Doncaster station a few years back.

Non-rail related, I was very good school friends with Ursula Holden-Gill who played "Alice Dingle" in Emmerdale. I lived on the same road as Myleene Klass in Gorleston, near Great Yarmouth, and even had a kiss with her at a college party, not that I attended the college but some friends did. Also whilst living in that area, I worked at a holiday park and half the camera crew for "Keeping Up Appearances" stayed with us. I got to watch them filming at Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach and met all the cast. They were lovely. It was the episode where Hyacinth was on the 'merry-go-round', for any avid fans.

Sally Lindsey who played Shelly in Corrie bought me and my mate a drink in a bar in Manchester, all because I went over and asked, "Are you Shelly from Corrie". She was lovely!

Whilst working for a well known mobile phone company in Manchester I sold phones to Chris Bisson (Corrie, and now Emmerdale). He was a great guy, very chatty. I also sold a phone to Olly Gunner Solskaer (probably spelt that totally wrong) who played for Man United at the time.

When I was a kid I met Penelope Keith a few times. She was friends with a historian guy who lived on our small road in Colne, and she bought a house in the nearby picturesque village of Wycoller.

I've seen lots more, including the Queen, Prince Charles, Princess Di, Princes William and Harry, Cliff Richard, Brian Adams, Louise (from what was Eternal), Johnny Vegas, Ricky Tomlinson, plenty of Corrie and Emmerdale stars, and even Michael Jackson. None of these were at concerts by the way.

Last edited:

PudseyBearHST

I never saw this personally but saw it on youtube: David Cameron was travelling on the Piccadilly Line (if the Underground counts)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
With respect they are not famous.

I would disagree - they've had coverage on various "mainstream" media outlets over the last few months, and have numerous followers on YouTube.

It all depends on how you define "famous", I suppose.

Peter Stringfellow got on at Chester once, with some blonde dolly bird he'd presumably just enticed from the cast of Hollyoaks. She got a bit confused where first class was bless her, and he got annoyed at her confusion.

96tommy

The amount of times I travel up and down the ECML I would have hoped to have travelled with a few famous faces but have not...

Only ones what come to mind are 2 football referees, Howard Webb and Michael Oliver who travel commonly on the route . Not even travelled with Portillo yet.

fowler9

Established Member
In 1974 I was catching the London train from Crewe station. It was very crowded; I found myself in a last-minute rush for the one remaining seat beside a tall, good-looking man with collar-length hair, it was the seventies; buckaroo! I looked up and saw it was none other than Peter Purves, it was the height of his Blue Peter fame. He said, "You jammy b*stard" and quick as a flash, I replied, "Don't be blue, Peter!" Needless to say, I had the last laugh, now f*ck off! (I may have borrowed that of someone. Ha ha ha).

Scotrail84

Established Member
No way!!! Im so jealous! I want to meet Lorraine Kelly! Been on the set of her ITV show quite a few times when its been presented by the ever lovely Fiona Phillips, but not when shes done it.

She travels regularish on my services.

168lover

John Vegas on the good old Arena Explorer to Ireland, Pete Waterman at Wycombe Station and Steve Bachsaw(children tv show Deadly 60 presenter) on a rather busy 165 headed for London one morning.

BlueFox

Steven Presssley former Hearts and Leicester (booooo)

Leicester went through a period of signing rubbish from Scotland around 10 years ago, but Pressley wasn't one of them. Didn't he play for Coventry?

I sat behind Carlton Palmer, between Stockport and Dore. He was manager of Stockport at the time and I think he was banned from driving. He spent the whole journey on the phone.

A few years ago in first class on an Edinburgh to London train I sat opposite someone who looked familiar, but it was only when I got off the train at Berwick I realised it was probably Ben Elton.

oldchuffer

I once stood behind Mick McCarthy on the escalator at Charing Cross

Sat next to James Mates waiting for a connect train at Heathrow T1/2/3

Sat opposite Rhodes Boyson on a train between Sevenoaks and Orpington (he was fast asleep)

One summer evening rush hour, making my then usual dash across Waterloo from the Windor platforms to Waterloo East, I nearly ran straight into Alastair Stewart. It was entirely my fault and I went to apologize but I got my newsreaders mixed up and said "Sorry Mr Suchet", which I think left everyone confused.

Monarch010

Back in the Eighties I spent several years doing the daily trip from Stroud to Paddington.
Regulars from Stroud were Princess Anne, Jilly Cooper and Laurie Lee (travelling separately, though).

Mikey C

Established Member
Leicester went through a period of signing rubbish from Scotland around 10 years ago, but Pressley wasn't one of them. Didn't he play for Coventry?

I sat behind Carlton Palmer, between Stockport and Dore. He was manager of Stockport at the time and I think he was banned from driving. He spent the whole journey on the phone.

A few years ago in first class on an Edinburgh to London train I sat opposite someone who looked familiar, but it was only when I got off the train at Berwick I realised it was probably Ben Elton.

With his legs, that can't have been a comfortable journey for him!

RichJF

When I lived in Redhill & commuted into London, I spotted Nicholas Owen (ex BBC newsreader) catching the train a handful of times!

delt1c

Established Member
there are 2 different types of famous people. Those who think they own the whole carriage want every passenger to know who they are and expect staff to run after their every need . And those who just blend into the background and enjoy the journey.
I have experienced both and i know who i respect and admire

fowler9

Established Member
there are 2 different types of famous people. Those who think they own the whole carriage want every passenger to know who they are and expect staff to run after their every need . And those who just blend into the background and enjoy the journey.
I have experienced both and i know who i respect and admire

Indeed, Jamie Carragher kept himself to himself and spoke to anyone who wanted to talk to him. Some lad off Hollyoaks I saw in the Blockbuster on Allerton Road by where I live in South Liverpool tried to barge me out of the way and when I barged him back he actually said "Do you know who I am?".

maire23

Indeed, Jamie Carragher kept himself to himself and spoke to anyone who wanted to talk to him. Some lad off Hollyoaks I saw in the Blockbuster on Allerton Road by where I live in South Liverpool tried to barge me out of the way and when I barged him back he actually said "Do you know who I am?".
When Hollyoaks was filmed in Liverpool one of my locals was right next to the set and used to be full of obnoxious members of the Hollyoaks cast!

TimboM

Established Member
John Vegas on the good old Arena Explorer to Ireland, Pete Waterman at Wycombe Station and Steve Bachsaw(children tv show Deadly 60 presenter) on a rather busy 165 headed for London one morning.

I think everyone's been on a train with Pete Waterman! :lol:

JonasB

I haven't seen any celebrities on a train in the UK (or at least none that i could recognize). But a few celebrities have been spotted on my trips in Sweden.

Once I had just taken my seat at a table on a regional train as one of the first people to board. The train was a bit crowded so I moved my backpack to make room for another person to take the seat in front of me at the other side of the table. When I looked up, I realized that the person sitting in front of me was Anders Wejryd, then Archbishop of the Church of Sweden.

Status
Not open for further replies.