• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Fantasy] A new tube line for South London

Status
Not open for further replies.

ert47

CarltonA:1369888 said:
The relevance being that posters were saying that Croydon moved into London when the ELL arrived or when Tramlink appeared. I was merely pointing out when Croydon ceased to be in Surrey and became part of London.

We were all messing around.

However although Croydon has been in London since the 60s, most addresses with the "CR" postcode, its usually preceeded with Surrey instead of London. On the other hand, Croydon SE25 and SW16 usually have London instead of Surrey.

----------

Anywho, back on topic!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LE Greys

Established Member
We were all messing around.

However although Croydon has been in London since the 60s, most addresses with the "CR" postcode, its usually preceeded with Surrey instead of London. On the other hand, Croydon SE25 and SW16 usually have London instead of Surrey.

So does Richmond, and I know of at least one person who insists on Walthamstow, Essex, E17

Anywho, back on topic!!

Croydon is somewhere where the Tube had no room to expand into. With the LBSC firmly entrenched and electrifying their lines late-on, plus no huge flow of goods and long-distance traffic to worry about, the lines could spread out and cover the suburbs. I can't remember if Croydon had trams before buses (not counting Tramlink, obviously) but it seems likely. It's only now that the suburban network is saturated that we're seeing an attempt to probe South London.

ert47

So does Richmond, and I know of at least one person who insists on Walthamstow, Essex, E17

Croydon is somewhere where the Tube had no room to expand into. With the LBSC firmly entrenched and electrifying their lines late-on, plus no huge flow of goods and long-distance traffic to worry about, the lines could spread out and cover the suburbs. I can't remember if Croydon had trams before buses (not counting Tramlink, obviously) but it seems likely. It's only now that the suburban network is saturated that we're seeing an attempt to probe South London.

There were trams in Croydon years ago that travelled up the London Road towards Camberwell pretty much following the 109 bus route prior to the mid 90s (Purley-Croydon-Streatham-Brixton-Camberwell-Westminster/Trafalgar Square (Embankment)).

Can't seem to find much information, but it seems the 109 was a tram replacement bus service.

Status
Not open for further replies.