• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fantasy Open-Access

Should ordinary people have more power over how train companies operate? (eg. routes)

• None

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Very Limited

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Some

• Lots

• All

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LE Greys

Established Member
Thames-Clyde Railways

London St Pancras
Leicester
Derby
Chesterfield
Sheffield
Leeds
Skipton
Settle
Appleby
Carlisle
Dumfries
Kilmarnock
Glasgow Central

The idea is that it will be a very slow journey, but one possibility is try to keep access charges as low as possible to keep fares down. An alternative would be to market it as a semi-railtour with proper catering, MkII stock and full service. That would be good for the holiday market, but not so good otherwise. Still, if the LMS could do it, it might just be possible to revive it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Invincibles

I would open stations on the MML at Wigston, Great Glen and Desborough. These would then be exclusively served by my train which would mean good revenue.

My service would then be Bedford to Manchester/Salford, calling at:

Bedford (connections from London on Thameslink)
Kettering
Desborough
Market Harborough
Great Glen
Wigston
Leicester
Loughborough
East Midlands Parkway
Alfreton
Chesterfield
Edale
Chinley
Ashburys (If possible)
Manchester Victoria
Salford Central (This is my real aim given the spinningfields development)
Salford Crescent (then lay over in the sidings to the north)

Summer services would extend to Blackpool

I would run this using some form of express DMU to begin with, ideally a 3 car 170, but whatever was on offer. Loco hauled may even work if there was a suitable set.

The primary aim would be to act as a quicker link between the East Midlands and Manchester, but with extra commuter links south of Leicester and a fastish journey time there is a possibility to make ORCATS money I think.

No idea on costs and things, others can do that.

It does rely on squeezing into the north end of the Bedford platform. But maybe some permissive working can be organised there?

cuccir

Established Member
Thames-Clyde Railways

London St Pancras
Leicester
Derby
Chesterfield
Sheffield
Leeds
Skipton
Settle
Appleby
Carlisle
Dumfries
Kilmarnock
Glasgow Central

The idea is that it will be a very slow journey, but one possibility is try to keep access charges as low as possible to keep fares down. An alternative would be to market it as a semi-railtour with proper catering, MkII stock and full service. That would be good for the holiday market, but not so good otherwise. Still, if the LMS could do it, it might just be possible to revive it.

I was thinking along similar lines. Perhaps you could run:

* a morning and evening 'fast' in both directions Leicester-Glasgow Monday - Friday

* two 'slows' in each direction St Pancras to Glasgow, M-F

* three 'slows' Saturday/Sunday

* May-September, a 'super stopper' St Pancras - Carlisle and one Glasgow -Leicester, stopping at all Settle-Carlisle stations

cle

Established Member
Yep I think a Project Rio service would be a great help. Could be hourly.

London St Pancras
Luton/Bedford (alternate hours)
Leicester
Derby
Stockport
Manchester Piccadilly.

Chesterfield debatable - because it's well served from London and adequately from Manchester too. This service would be better fast - this would have to compete with Virgin, as well as tapping into the East Midlands to Manchester market. Could be priced lower and be popular with students too, as with Chiltern to Birmingham!

tbtc

Veteran Member
You b*****d ! That was my idea - I was going to call the operator Trans-Western ...

Sorry :lol:

Its an idea which I really think could work, it links two of the biggest cities in the UK, it gives them both a link to stations in eastern Wales/ western England which they have no direct services to, it gives a link to Liverpool Airport, it provides something new to a lot of towns.

A lot of Open Access ideas seem to be about "how can we tap into an existing London flow, with a little bit of different route at the far end" (like the ideas for tapping into the WCML market and getting part of the ORCATS money by running a service to Blackpool/Barrow etc)

Donny Dave

Established Member
<snip>
Chesterfield
Edale
Chinley
Ashburys (If possible)
Manchester Victoria
Salford Central (This is my real aim given the spinningfields development)
Salford Crescent (then lay over in the sidings to the north)

Couple of things. If you call at Ashburys, then your creating a further bottleneck on a line that is already 1 long bottleneck.

Also, why the stop at Edale? It is little more than a small shack in the middle of nowhere. If you do insist on calling at another station along the Hope Valley, then I would suggest Hathersage.

route:oxford

Established Member
Hmm, I doubt if £250m would be enough to re-open the line between Luton & Leighton Buzzard. Unless someone else can suggest an alternative straightforward routing, but here goes...

"CrossCounty Railways" - Airlink Service - Part of the "Star Alliance".

Seven-car EDEMUs based on the tilting Voyager or similar.

Aberdeen-Dundee-Stirling-GlasgowQS-Motherwell-Carlisle-Preston-Manchester-Manchester Airport-Birmingham New Street-Birmingham International-Coventry-Luton Airport Parkway-Gatwick Airport-Brighton

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I'm thinking 180s for this service, which aims to pick up a few missing links already mentioned, and take advantage of XC putting more services via Leeds rather than Doncaster.

Hull
Brough
Selby
(York with reversal perhaps?)
Doncaster
Retford
Newark (not sure which station?)
Nottingham
Loughborough
Leicester
Nuneaton
Birmingham New Street

Open to options for passing through BHM and terminating somewhere quieter, or (hows the £250m going?) reinstate/use the Camp Hill chord and terminate at Birmingham Moor Street platform 5.

I have a feeling that EMT would be the most concerned about this proposal - few too many of their journeys could be done on this service?

Thoughts?

scrapy

Established Member
Yep I think a Project Rio service would be a great help. Could be hourly.

London St Pancras
Luton/Bedford (alternate hours)
Leicester
Derby
Stockport
Manchester Piccadilly.

Chesterfield debatable - because it's well served from London and adequately from Manchester too. This service would be better fast - this would have to compete with Virgin, as well as tapping into the East Midlands to Manchester market. Could be priced lower and be popular with students too, as with Chiltern to Birmingham!

A Chesterfield stop could do well if train timed to call southbound just before the Northern service to Nottingham an northbound just after it as it would effectively give Manchester 2 trains an hour to Nottingham (OK a change is required but journey times could be quicker than EMT as no reversal at Shefield).

I would add a stop at St Albans too as this must be one of the largest towns in the country on an intercity route without an intercity service, could be pick up only northbound, set down only southbound.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm thinking 180s for this service, which aims to pick up a few missing links already mentioned, and take advantage of XC putting more services via Leeds rather than Doncaster.

Hull
Brough
Selby
Doncaster
Retford
Nottingham
Loughborough
Leicester
Nuneaton
Birmingham New Street

Open to options for passing through BHM and terminating somewhere quieter, or (hows the £250m going?) reinstate/use the Camp Hill chord and terminate at Birmingham Moor Street platform 5.

I have a feeling that EMT would be the most concerned about this proposal - few too many of their journeys could be done on this service?

Thoughts?

Don't think track layout at Newark would allow this.

Donny Dave

Established Member

Hull
Brough
Selby
Doncaster
Retford
Nottingham
Loughborough
Leicester
Nuneaton
Birmingham New Street

Thoughts?

I know I'm nit-picking again, but to get to Nottingham from Doncaster via Newark is very awkward. It means reversing at Newark North Gate onto the Lincoln - Nottingham line, then reversing again to head towards Nottingham, plus going over the flat crossing twice.

How about ....

Hull
Goole
Doncaster (head towards Sheffield)
[Old road avoiding Sheffield]
Chesterfield
Alfreton
(Langley Mill)
(East Midlands Parkway)
Loughborough
Leicester
Nuneaton
Birmingham

That opens up a few new journey possibilities, and mutes opposition from Northern, East Coast, Hull Trains and EMT. Trouble is, XC will be squealing about the Orcats raid between Leicester and Birmingham ....

Ivo

Established Member
First off, I honestly meant Bristol. But with all the talk of Liverpool to Cardiff on here in the last few weeks as a clear flow that does not exist as a direct service, I must have thought of Cardiff as I was typing and put it by mistake. My bad. Sorry :oops:

Ideas should be sensible, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned the price cap. If it became £250bn, you might as well just buy the entire network and run everything as you please. (Actually, if we can scrape together that much, we could do so as a forum. Based on reasonable estimates for log-term forum regulars, which would probably be in the region of 300 or so, it's only about £800m each. Not too much to ask then.

Seriously however, I would like to propose a second service. I notice the complete lack of comment regarding my Southend - Luton - East Midlands - York service, which as non-London flows go (OK, so it serves West Hampstead and Stratford, fine :lol:) is not exactly unreasonable; I can only assume that people are not too interested in its route (even though it taps into a market that few OA operators seem interested in, that of the East Midlands, and uses the quietest of the major IC routes to London). My second example also uses the MML (albeit not for that long), and uses 3-car 170s. This route runs thusly, four times a day:

• Blackpool North
  • Poulton-le-Fylde
  • Kirkham & Wesham
  • Preston
  • Blackburn [reverse]
  • Bolton
  • Manchester Oxford Road
  • Manchester Piccadilly
  • Stockport
  • Chesterfield
  • Derby [interchange available with Ivo Line 1]
  • Burton-on-Trent
  • Lichfield City
  • Sutton Coldfield
  • Birmingham New Street

SS4

Established Member
Wouldn't congestion on the cross city line make Lichfield to New St susceptible to delays?

Ivo

Established Member
It would, but it would be timetabled in a very slack manner between the two. The Cross-City may be a congested line (somewhat unnecessarily in my opinion; four 6-car units would be more efficient and have a greater capacity than six 3-car units; in fact, off-peak four 3-car units is easily enough), but it is rarely hit hard by delays (and then they usually only involve New Street anyway). Plus, it gives extra connections to Sutton Coldfield and Lichfield which otherwise have very Birmingham-centric connections (one LM 350 hour each way at Lichfield TV, even if it is to/from London, doesn't really do them justice).

Ultimately, I would hope to see the Cross-City revised to a flat 15 frequency, with alternate services running either Lichfield TV - Longbridge or Four Oaks - Redditch. The OA route would then be timed to leave Lichfield City (southbound) or New Street (northbound) two-three minutes ahead of the 323.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I know I'm nit-picking again, but to get to Nottingham from Doncaster via Newark is very awkward. It means reversing at Newark North Gate onto the Lincoln - Nottingham line, then reversing again to head towards Nottingham, plus going over the flat crossing twice.

How about ....

Hull
Goole
Doncaster (head towards Sheffield)
[Old road avoiding Sheffield]
Chesterfield
Alfreton
(Langley Mill)
(East Midlands Parkway)
Loughborough
Leicester
Nuneaton
Birmingham

That opens up a few new journey possibilities, and mutes opposition from Northern, East Coast, Hull Trains and EMT. Trouble is, XC will be squealing about the Orcats raid between Leicester and Birmingham ....

I like this amendment! I did wonder about Newark. Shame it misses Nottingham but with XC and EMT the objections could be strong!

I'd want to insert Brough, wonder if there is anywhere sensible to call at between Doncaster and Chesterfield, and whether it would be possible/sensible to call at East Midlands Parkway?

Any thoughts on an ultimate destination? Not sure New Street could cope with another IC turnaround taking place there?

Donny Dave

Established Member
You could possibly add a call at Swinton (may actually be required if there is a conflicting move there). Possible onward destinations are Shrewsbury or Great Malvern/Hereford.

martinsh

Established Member
OK, since this is all fantasy, I can introduce my alternative fantasy funding !

I am the MD of the Phoenix Transport Group (formerly the Phoenix Bus Group), founded in 1983, who now around approx 30 small to medium sized bus companies, mainly in the midlands.

We currently have three Rail operations, which are a mixture of Open Access and Microfranchising (i.e. running certain parts of other franchises under subcontract).

Cheshire Lines (details to follow)
Night Rail (details to follow)

Trans-Western
Route :
(Plymouth)
Exeter
Taunton
(Weston-super-Mare)
Bristol
Severn Tunnel Junction
Cwmbran
Hereford
Ludlow
Shrewsbury
Crewe
--####-----divides--------#####
Warrington Runcorn
| Liverpool South Parkway
| Liverpool Lime Street
| ------terminates------------
|
| ------starts------------------
| Liverpool Lime Street
| St Helens
--------#------combines-----#--------
Wigan
Preston
Lancaster
(Oxenholme)
Carlisle
Motherwell
Glasgow

Frequency :
4 or 5 trains per day

Stock :
As a large group, Phoenix is able to order new stock. Three coach class 185s with better interior design (and no first class), and through corridor connections. 2 units coupled = 6 cars for all but the Crewe – Wigan section.

Markets Tapped
1. Liverpool to Welsh borders and South West
2. South West to Welsh borders, North West (beyond Manchester) and Scotland
3. Liverpool to Scotland
4. Welsh Borders to North West and Scotland

Market 2 a replacement for when XC was withdrawn north of Manchester

Comments
I’m not sure about timings, but hopefully the service manages to avoid any pinch points

jd

Sort out all the local lines in the West Midlands :)

Electrify to Bromsgrove, extend 2 Longbridge terminators to Bromsgrove, new bay platform (allegedly already in the pipeline, keep eyes peeled for the pigs flying by). If we felt really bold, somehow build a new line to Rubery and extend the other 2 Longbridge terminators to there too.

Re-open the Camp Hill line - terminating at the new Moor St bays via a new chord, every 20 min service to Kings Norton. At Kings Norton, move the X-city into platform 3, terminate the Camp Hill trains on platform 4.

Re-open the line through Walmley - run as a New Street (or Moor St via a new chord if there's no capacity at New St) to Walsall service, calling at new stations roughly at Nechells/The Fort, Castle Vale, Walmley, Sutton Coldfield, Streetly, Aldridge, Walsall.

Re-open Walsall-Wolverhampton, with new stations at Darlaston and Willenhall to make it a more useful service. Could even be linked into the previous idea, to make a Wolverhampton - Walsall - Sutton Coldfield - Castle Vale - Birmingham service.

Re-open the Dudley freight line to passenger trains - new service from Stourbridge to Wolverhampton with new stations at Brierley Hill and Dudley. Could even build a new line from Stourbridge to Halesowen and have through trains from Halesowen to Wolverhampton.

New stations on the line from New Street to Perry Barr via Smethwick - maybe at Ladywood, Winson Green (with a new stop between Jewellery Quarter and the Hawthorns on the Snow Hill lines to provide interchange), and Handsworth.

SS4

Established Member
Sort out all the local lines in the West Midlands :)

Electrify to Bromsgrove, extend 2 Longbridge terminators to Bromsgrove, new bay platform (allegedly already in the pipeline, keep eyes peeled for the pigs flying by). If we felt really bold, somehow build a new line to Rubery and extend the other 2 Longbridge terminators to there too.

Re-open the Camp Hill line - terminating at the new Moor St bays via a new chord, every 20 min service to Kings Norton. At Kings Norton, move the X-city into platform 3, terminate the Camp Hill trains on platform 4.

Re-open the line through Walmley - run as a New Street (or Moor St via a new chord if there's no capacity at New St) to Walsall service, calling at new stations roughly at Nechells/The Fort, Castle Vale, Walmley, Sutton Coldfield, Streetly, Aldridge, Walsall.

Re-open Walsall-Wolverhampton, with new stations at Darlaston and Willenhall to make it a more useful service. Could even be linked into the previous idea, to make a Wolverhampton - Walsall - Sutton Coldfield - Castle Vale - Birmingham service.

Re-open the Dudley freight line to passenger trains - new service from Stourbridge to Wolverhampton with new stations at Brierley Hill and Dudley. Could even build a new line from Stourbridge to Halesowen and have through trains from Halesowen to Wolverhampton.

New stations on the line from New Street to Perry Barr via Smethwick - maybe at Ladywood, Winson Green (with a new stop between Jewellery Quarter and the Hawthorns on the Snow Hill lines to provide interchange), and Handsworth.

I'd love to see that, especially if it uses the freight line around Castle Vale which I imagine it would be if it goes through Walmley

edit: A station at the fort would be a good idea especially since the 68 bus was withdrawn last year

craig87034

I would have a Birmingham-Inverness via wcml,mossend (loco change),coatbridge and the Highland Mainline
I would also reopen Bletchley-Claydon and have Milton Keynes-Bristol's as well as services to Aylesbury and Oxford from Milton Keynes and Bedford

me123

Established Member
My suggestion is probably quite familiar. I bring it up every so often, but it's also actually been proposed by the now vanished Glasgow Trains. All services are based in Glasgow, and the aim is to reconnect the city to the main rail network with the following routes:

Glasgow-Leeds (no longer required as much now that CrossCountry will be operating via Edinburgh)
  • Glasgow Central
  • Motherwell
  • Lockerbie
  • Carlisle
  • Appleby
  • Settle
  • Skipton
  • Keighley
  • Shipley
  • Leeds

Glasgow-Liverpool & Blackpool (again, not necessarily needed if TPE reintroduce direct trains)
  • Glasgow Central
  • Motherwell
  • Lockerbie
  • Carlisle
  • Penrith
  • Oxenholme
  • Lancaster
  • Preston, where the train will divide
FRONT PORTION
  • Wigan North Western
  • St Helens Central
  • Huyton
  • Liverpool Lime Street
REAR PORTION
  • Blackpool North only

Glasgow-Plymouth via the WCML
  • Glasgow Central
  • Motherwell
  • Lockerbie
  • Carlisle
  • Penrith
  • Oxenholme
  • Lancaster
  • Preston
  • Wigan North Western
  • Warrington Bank Quay
  • Crewe
  • Stafford
  • Wolverhampton
  • Birmingham New Street
  • Cheltenham Spa
  • Bristol Parkway
  • Bristol Temple Meads
  • Taunton
  • Tiverton Parkway
  • Exeter St Davids
  • Newton Abbot
  • Totnes
  • Plymouth

Glasgow-Cardiff (may run as a portion of the above train)
  • As above to Cheltenham Spa, then:
  • Gloucester
  • Newport

Glasgow-Sheffield via Manchester
  • Glasgow Central-Preston as above
  • Bolton
  • Salford Crescent
  • Manchester Oxford Road
  • Manchester Piccadilly
  • Stockport
  • Sheffield

I would hope that competitive fares and a lack of GARL would tease people off the plane. I know I'm shadowing a lot of existing routes, but it is a fantasy and I'd be very keen to see these routes adopted in one way or another. Services would be operated by trains capable of both electric and diesel operation, at least until wires are put up. I'd be looking at something similar to a Voyager, although with the design flaws sorted out. Trains would be able to operateIn addition, a service would operate from Motherwell-Inverness to link up those areas to the services from Glasgow. Stock for this service would be operated by the same as above for when electrification reaches Dunblane. Some may terminate at Stirling or Perth. Unfortunately, I don't think it's feasible to join or divide trains at Motherwell P1&2, but if it were possible it may be done.

Motherwell-Inverness
  • Motherwell
  • Coatbridge Central
  • Cumbernauld
  • Larbert
  • Stirling
  • Dunblane
  • Perth
  • Pitlochry
  • Blair Atholl
  • Kingussie
  • Aviemore
  • Inverness

Ivo

Established Member
Hang on a minute; I've proposed allowing up to a quarter of a billion pounds for just one service! According to this document, Grand Central have paid out less than 20% of that figure in providing services to London from both Sunderland and Bradford! So on that basis, I think that just a tenth of that sum would seem to be necessary, and if so is £25m really that hard to scrape together? I am really clutching at straws here, but supposing the same ~300 members I "mentioned" earlier came together that's just £80k each. In that sense, with enough support this forum really could run an Open Access service! I know that £80k is of course a lot of money, and that we would be looking at losses at first, but in the big picture that really is a tiny sum!

And suppose that everyone - I mean "everyone" which obviously includes non-posters and one-time posters, for the sake of argument - came together, we are looking at just £3,000 per person. I would be willing to bet that there are at least a couple members on here who earn that in a week. And then there would be far lesser need for salaries and the like, because we would be doing something we enjoy when we have the time to do so instead of doing it as a living (yes, this means working those Sundays you are so caught up about ATW staff members, but on your terms days-wise). And by the time you allow for non-salaries, we would probably be in profit!

With thanks to WestCoast for linking to the article in the first place [here] ;)

More madness is forthcoming...

samj1

Bring back Cross-Country to Brighton;

Brighton to Glasgow Central calling at Haywards Heath, Gatwick Airport, Redhill, Guildford, Reading, Oxford, Banbury, Leamington Spa, Coventry, Birmingham International, Birmingham New Street, Sandwell & Dudley, Wolverhampton, Stafford, Crewe, Wilmslow, Stockport, Manchester Piccadilly, Bolton, Preston, Lancaster, Oxenholme Lake District, Penrith North Lakes, Carlisle, Motherwell, Glasgow Central. Using CrossCountry Voyagers

Blackpool North to London Euston calling at Poulton Le Fylde, Kirkham and Wesham, Preston, Wigan North Western, Warrington Bank Quay, Crewe, Rugby, Milton Keynes Central, Watford Junction, London Euston. Using Northern 180s.

Ivo

Established Member
OK; let's see. Some basic maths here.

There are roughly 9,000 members on this forum. Of these, approximately 1-in-5 has been active in the last month, and 1-in-15 in the last 24 hours. Allowing for those who post only rarely, or even never, or have only come along briefly for fares help, I feel it would be reasonable to assume that have of those active today are at least semi-regular, and then the same number again have been in the last month but not today. That would work out at roughly 600 "senior" and/or "regular" members. Now, if we allocated a budget equivalent to that invested by Grand Central for their two routes, using the data provided by the same company, we end up requiring £40m. Were 600 people to work together to make £40m, each would have to put forward approximately £65,000. If we were to then overlook salaries, because everyone would be working out of their love of trains and travel and only at times that suit them (if we had four crews of five per day each person in that 600 would need to work on the front line for just one day a month and then probably a second day for administration purposes), that figure would drop lower still (probably by as much as £5,000). By overlooking salaries we would also be looking at greater profits, because obviously our outgoings would be lower. And lastly, before I get on to the more serious stuff, consider this: It's free mileage!

So anyway, of each of those 600 people (remember it is an estimate) provided anything reasonable the can, ideally the full lot but not necessarily that much, and then tried to source help from others who they know might be interested (so in my case I could ask my brother [who still has just seven posts :lol:] and my father), it wouldn't be all that hard. Then we would have to plan the best route possible from three different perspectives, which are (a) demand, (b) profit and (c) competition, and get to planning things such as stock and timetables.

To give an example, I will now discuss the Liverpool to Bristol via Shrewsbury idea. I personally would prefer to use 170s because of their faster loading capabilities (and DDA compliance), but ultimately they cost roughly 1.2p more per mile for access costs at 7.29p per mile [taken from 09-10 statistics].

• Liverpool Lime Street
  • Liverpool South Parkway
  • Runcorn
  • Crewe
  • Shrewsbury
  • Ludlow
  • Hereford
  • Cwmbran
  • Severn Tunnel Junction
  • Bristol Temple Meads

Now obviously ATW wouldn't be best pleased about this route, but who cares? (LM wouldn't be overly impressed either.) I believe that this route would take about 3h20, so four units would suffice on a two-hourly frequency.

The route is 191mi long, which at 6.07p per mile for a 158 motor vehicle (i.e. 12.14p per unit) works out at approximately £23 access charges per journey. Assume each unit makes two runs each way, and this becomes £368 access charge per day. Then we come to fuel, which assuming 2mpg works out at 95 gallons of fuel (ouch!), which [using the costs discussed here] would cost about £305 worth of fuel per journey; a total of 16 journeys results in a daily fuel cost of just under £5,000, which in practice sounds a lot but also makes the access charges sound irrelevant. On an annual basis, these two core outgoings would total somewhere in the region of £1.8m, which I think we can safely say would be covered by revenue (at an average of £30 per passenger journey, this would require 60,000 passengers per year, 165 per day, or just ten or eleven per journey).

Someone else can do the administrative costs; I'm not so clued up on those.

But essentially I honestly think that this scheme could well work. If enough of us could scrape funds together, and then allocate different roles to different people (to give a very vague example using just five people, I could prepare timetables, mumrar could be a conductor, TDK could drive, Mojo could be in the office, and Greenback could set up a ticket office at Bristol), we could then take this forward to the ORR.

OK, fantasy over; I want some *serious* feedback. On this analysis, it really does look viable. And given there are far more of us than there are at the likes of Renaissance Trains, it would be easier to manage and finance. And if someone got bored or fell out with the others, it wouldn't be a huge loss!

Note the edit above. I have had to make one change, which is quite problematic. I shan't say what, but it's there. Also, to get a good pathon the Marches Line would require ~90 minute layovers at both ends, which would entail hiring a further unit.

Last edited:
lets bring back a couple of cross country routes and give them some better green credentials

Brighton/Portsmouth - Liverpool/Manchester

Calling Pattern:

Liverpool Lime Street
Liverpool south Parkway
Runcorn
Crewe
Stafford
--------------
Manchester
Stockport
Macclesfield
Stoke On Trent
Stafford
-----
Join
-----
Stafford
Rugeley Trent Valley
Lichfield Trent Valley
Tamworth
Nuneaton
Rugby
Northampton
Milton Keynes Central
Watford Junction
Kensington Olympia
Clapham Junction
------
Split
------
Clapham Junction
Wimbledon
Woking
Guildford
Havant
Portsmouth Harbour
------
Clapham Junction
East Croydon
Redhill
Gatwick Airport
Brighton

this would use dual voltage, 6 car class 444s with a proper buffet and kitchen (and much more comfortable seats :lol:). the service would be hourly Monday to Saturday and 3 trains per day on Sundays.

this service would also be coupled with a massive investment program to the stations and lines that are served.

the joining and splitting may cause confusion to the passengers but there would be regular announcements stating what portion they are in and which one they need to be in for their destination.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Hi all, new member here. How about...
South west Scotland Link - 1 daily return service mon to Sat between Dumfries and Edinburgh using refurbed mk2f or mk3 first class coaches and Dvt and loco. It would run Dumfries to Carlisle all stops, then reverse up the wcml calling Lockerbie, carstairs, haymarket and Waverley. This would be fed by 2 feeder coaches. 1 from Stranras direct to Dumfries, starting from the port after the early ferry arival and connecting into a late evening one and the other a stopper running Gatehouse of Fleat, Kirkcudbright, Castle Douglas and Dalbeattie before connecting at dmf. Tikets for the coaches would b sold only to passengers using the train service. The coach and train would feature A/c, plug points, good leg room, 2 plus 1 seats, wifi and decent ables and plenty of luggage space. On a sunday a direct coach would opperate missing out Carlisle and carstairs and using m74 and m8 to Edb train passengers would get free tea and coffee, a trolly nd a hot dinner and breakfast if pre ordered! Would be popular with business, seniors, students and general leisure and would be price accordingly with special discounts for nus card holders etc.would also be good for people who dont want a crouded noisy tpe or voyager. most important though is the direct link between dmf and edb, not done for decades if ever

martinsh

Established Member
My suggestion is probably quite familiar. I bring it up every so often, but it's also actually been proposed by the now vanished Glasgow Trains. All services are based in Glasgow, and the aim is to reconnect the city to the main rail network with the following routes:

Glasgow-Liverpool & Blackpool (again, not necessarily needed if TPE reintroduce direct trains)
  • Glasgow Central
  • Motherwell
  • Lockerbie
  • Carlisle
  • Penrith
  • Oxenholme
  • Lancaster
  • Preston, where the train will divide
FRONT PORTION
  • Wigan North Western
  • St Helens Central
  • Huyton
  • Liverpool Lime Street
REAR PORTION
  • Blackpool North only

Glasgow-Plymouth via the WCML
  • Glasgow Central
  • Motherwell
  • Lockerbie
  • Carlisle
  • Penrith
  • Oxenholme
  • Lancaster
  • Preston
  • Wigan North Western
  • Warrington Bank Quay
  • Crewe
  • Stafford
  • Wolverhampton
  • Birmingham New Street
  • Cheltenham Spa
  • Bristol Parkway
  • Bristol Temple Meads
  • Taunton
  • Tiverton Parkway
  • Exeter St Davids
  • Newton Abbot
  • Totnes
  • Plymouth

I've already proposed Glasgow - Liverpool and Glasgow - Plymouth, but the latter via N & W route to avoid pathing problems in Birmingham area. Opens up more opportunities and only really loses Cheltenham - Glasgow flow.

Glasgow - Blackpool. Always used to be a HUGE seasonal flow for this back in the 1980s, I'm not so sure about these days.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Time for me to do a serious one then, I think. This service would operate every two hours north of Luton, and hourly over the section in bold. Services would be formed of Class 180s for the longer journeys and Class 360s for the shorter journeys....

• Southend Victoria
  • Southend Airport
  • Shenfield
  • Romford (short services only)
  • Stratford
  • West Hampstead (short services only)
  • St Albans (short services only)
  • Luton Airport Parkway
  • Luton
  • Bedford
  • Leicester
  • Derby
  • Sheffield
  • Leeds
  • York

Your main problem, it would seem, is getting the electric trains between Stratford and St Albans. The shortest fully electrified route is via Kensington Olympia, Streatham Hill and London Blackfriars AFAIK.

I was thinking along similar lines with that route, but going between Sheffield and York via Sherburn-in-Elmet rather than Leeds, although it has fewer potential passengers, it must be far less used and quicker.

My thought of one (with the new GNER potentially having stolen my main route) would be...

• London Liverpool Street
  • Stratford
  • Colchester
  • Ipswich
  • Bury St Edmonds
  • Ely
  • Peterborough
  • (Melton Mowbray)
  • Loughborough
  • Derby
  • (Chesterfield)
  • Sheffield
  • (Swinton (Yorks))
  • Fitzwilliam (for Wakefield/Leeds)
  • Mirfield (for Huddersfielld/Leeds/Bradford)
  • Hebden Bridge (for Bradford/Manchester)
  • Rose Grove (for Colne)
  • Blackburn (for Bolton/Clitheroe)
  • Preston (for Blackpool)
  • Lancaster
  • Oxenholme
  • Windermere

Clearly the stock would have to be diesel or bi-mode. 4-car 172s or 185s would likely be the best option for rolling stock, but failing that perhaps a regeared 67 (100-110mph), (or perhaps some on hire from our german friends) with maybe four or five Mk2/3 coaches and either a DVT or a DBSO at the other end.

I wonder how much it would cost to develop a loco that could run of off the OHLE or run as a self charging battery loco using existing loco stock as a base? (I'm thinking old 86s, 87s, 90s, etc, although I don't know if there is a reason a diesel loco couldn't be used as a base, like the 56s or 58s)

Whilst the route doesn't directly serve many major cities in the northeast and northwest, it does come close and I think it does provide some links from the northwest and Yorkshire to East Anglia. Liverpool Street isn't an ideal London Terminal either, but the lines to and from St Pancras and Kings Cross are either at capacity or soon to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.