• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fantasy Open-Access

Should ordinary people have more power over how train companies operate? (eg. routes)

• None

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Very Limited

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Some

• Lots

• All

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dfishw

Im going to comment on the holyhead-ipswich service mentioned earlier it seems alot of people are hostile but i see merit in it. I agree with the point about lack of demand between wales and east anglian but the same could be said aout any other type of "cross country" service including the ones that are part of the Xc network. For example how many people travel from plymouth to ediborough? (probably none!) but the service makes a profit still!

These services make a profit due to the intermediate passneger flows that are generated. So while very few would do holyhead to ipswich, alot would do say holyhead to the north west/manchester, manchester to peterborough and it would also create a second direct train to east anglia from manchester without having to rely on the norwich service. The Liverpool to Cardiff is another one as is Liverpool to the south coast. Few travel between liverpool and the south coast but it will create liverpool/warrington to oxford, south coast-reading, lemington to warrington etc.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
sorry i mispelt some words....<(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fred26

Kings Cross - Norwich/Ipswich

Kings Cross
Gordon Hill
Hertford North
Stevenage
Royston
Cambridge

**SERVICE SPLITS**

**1st HALF**

Thetford
Wymondham
Norwich

**SECOND HALF**

Bury St Edmunds
Stowmarket
Ipswich​

I'd run five return journeys per day, Monday-Friday. Four on Saturday and three on Sunday.

If I can do infrastructure work too, I'd electrify the lines from Cambridge to Norwich and Ipswich, extend the platforms at Hertford North and Gordon Hill and add as many passing loops on the Hertford Loop as is possible. ;)
Stock-wise, if I could electrify those lines, I'd use 2x 4-car EMU - probably 365s. In saying that, I'm not sure the Cambridge - Norwich/Ipswich sections could justify 4-car working, but I don't know if a 3-car EMU exists with toilets. Anyone know?
If I can't electrify, then 158s, or 156s, I suppose. I have a quite limited knowledge of rolling stock.

Ivo

Established Member
323s have toilets, although they never seem to be usable...!

However, their seating isn't really suitable for longer-distance operation.

Fred26

323s have toilets, although they never seem to be usable...!

However, their seating isn't really suitable for longer-distance operation.

Are they toast-rack seats, like 360s? They're uncomfortable even on short journeys.

Ivo

Established Member
I can't remember what 360 seating is like; been quite a while since I've been on one. I'd be surprised if they were the same; I'd say the 323 seating is more akin to 319 or 321 seating.

Fred26

Not too awful if they're like 321s/319s. The 360 seats are very straight.

Statto

Established Member
Liverpool Lime Street
St Helens Central
Wigan North Western
Preston
Lancaster
Carlisle
Motherwell
Glasgow Central

4 trains a day, each way Mon-Sat, 2 trains each way on Sun.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Hull to West Country (join at Sheff with Leeds portion) - like good old BR days

Non-traditional stations to Paddington - Sheffield, Liverpool, Manchester, Edinburgh etc

Overnight Holidaymaker trains to the seaside in Summer

More sleeper trains - NE/NW-SE/SW

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
A stopper service from holyhead and llandudno to newquay once a day return.
Leaving holyhead 9.35 leaving newquay at 10.40 both services work by 1 2 car and 1 3 car 170's splitting at llandudno jct and the 3 car off to llandudno.
operated by an open access named "North-south link"

Holyhead
Rhosneigr
llanfairpwll
Bangor
penmaenmawr
Conwy
llandudno jct-Train joins up to another train that has come from llandudno
(Deganwy)
Colwyn bay
Abergale and pensarn
Rhyl
Prestatyn
Chester
Crewe
Penkridge
stafford
Wolverhampton
New Street
Five ways
University
Barnt green
Bromsgrove
Ashchurch
Cheltenham spa
Gloucester
Lydny
Chepstow
Caldicot
Severn tunnel jct
Newport
Temple meads
Parson street
Yatton
Worle
Weston milton
Weston super mare
Bridge water
Taunton
Tiverton parkway
Exeter st davids
Dawlish
Teignmouth
Newton Abbot
Totnes
Ivybridge
Plymouth
Liskaerd
Bodmin parkway
Par
Luxulyan
Bugle
Roch
Quintrell downs
Newquay

very long stopper would take 12 hours at least!
Im going to comment on the holyhead-ipswich service mentioned earlier it seems alot of people are hostile but i see merit in it. I agree with the point about lack of demand between wales and east anglian but the same could be said aout any other type of "cross country" service including the ones that are part of the Xc network. For example how many people travel from plymouth to ediborough? (probably none!) but the service makes a profit still!

These services make a profit due to the intermediate passneger flows that are generated. So while very few would do holyhead to ipswich, alot would do say holyhead to the north west/manchester, manchester to peterborough and it would also create a second direct train to east anglia from manchester without having to rely on the norwich service. The Liverpool to Cardiff is another one as is Liverpool to the south coast. Few travel between liverpool and the south coast but it will create liverpool/warrington to oxford, south coast-reading, lemington to warrington etc.

That was my post!!! lol

The service would call at:

Bangor
LLandudno Jct
Rhyl
Prestatyn
Shotton
Chester
Helsby
Eccles
Manhester picc
Stockport
Sheffeild
Alfreton
Nottingham
Grantham
Peterbrugh
Ely
Kennet
Bury st edmonds
Thurston
Elmswell
Stowmarket
Ipswich

These would run 2 hourly using hst/222 some services terminating at chester,Norwich, Ely, Nottingham, Llandudno jct, Needham market.

1 service a day would originate from llandudno and call at deganwy then join a terminating service from norwich standing at llabdudno jct then call at all stations to ely (but will call at dore and totley) where the train splits and one goes to call at:
Shippea hall
Lakenheath
Brandon
Thetford
Harling road
Attenborough(req)
Spooner row
WYmondham and Norwich
The other will then continiue to Ipswich non stop

This will be 2x 156. there will be 1 hst service to lime street from Ipswich to lime street whichg runs after a chester to ipswich service.
1 service from junction will run non-stop

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
A The service would call at:

Bangor
LLandudno Jct
Rhyl
Prestatyn
Shotton
Chester
Helsby
Eccles
Manhester picc
Stockport
Sheffeild
Alfreton
Nottingham
Grantham
Peterbrugh
Ely
Kennet
Bury st edmonds
Thurston
Elmswell
Stowmarket
Ipswich

These would run 2 hourly using hst/222 some services terminating at chester,Norwich, Ely, Nottingham, Llandudno jct, Needham market.

1 service a day would originate from llandudno and call at deganwy then join a terminating service from norwich standing at llabdudno jct then call at all stations to ely (but will call at dore and totley) where the train splits and one goes to call at:
Shippea hall
Lakenheath
Brandon
Thetford
Harling road
Attenborough(req)
Spooner row
WYmondham and Norwich
The other will then continiue to Ipswich non stop

This will be 2x 156. there will be 1 hst service to lime street from Ipswich to lime street whichg runs after a chester to ipswich service.
1 service from junction will run non-stop

These suggestions are just unbelivable: HSTs, terminating at Needham Market? Request at Atteleborough, but compiulsory at harling Road? All stations to Ely? WHAT?

tbtc

Veteran Member
These suggestions are just unbelivable: HSTs, terminating at Needham Market? Request at Atteleborough, but compiulsory at harling Road? All stations to Ely? WHAT?

Especially when not serving places like Warrington and Chesterfield too...

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

Kennett, Thurston and Elmswell are all in, but Flint (county town), Warrington Bank Quay (for Cheshire and Lancs) and Chesterfield (a fairly large town in derbyshire, catchment in the Peaks and south Sheffield).

ATW Alex 101

Established Member

Chesterfield has the liverpool service. Warrington central also does

all stations that i suggested to ely not every single one dork

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Chesterfield has the liverpool service. Warrington central also does

all stations that i suggested to ely not every single one dork

yes, but there is far and away more calls for services to Nottingham, the South East Midlands and east Anglia from Bank Quay and Chesterfield than there is from Eccles and Shotton for example.

bit rich calling me a dork when you want Thurston to have direct trains to North Wales, and HSTs on routes such as this.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
yes, but there is far and away more calls for services to Nottingham, the South East Midlands and east Anglia from Bank Quay and Chesterfield than there is from Eccles and Shotton for example.

bit rich calling me a dork when you want Thurston to have direct trains to North Wales, and HSTs on routes such as this.

yeh anything rong with that??

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
yeh anything rong with that??

It is the most exceptionally unrealistic thing i have read in ages, at least all other proposals are, more or less, viable, this is just, well, unbelivable.

And, to clarify, it should really have said 'all stations as above ' to avoid confusion.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
It is the most exceptionally unrealistic thing i have read in ages, at least all other proposals are, more or less, viable, this is just, well, unbelivable.

And, to clarify, it should really have said 'all stations as above ' to avoid confusion.

I am making a suggestion for an open access and i can list were it calls wether you like it or not.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I am making a suggestion for an open access and i can list were it calls wether you like it or not.

Yes I know that, but I was saying, instead of 'all stations' it is better to put 'all stations as above' or 'as above' in order to avoid the confusion that arose.

martinsh

Established Member
Night Rail
The second Open Access company in the Phoenix Transport Group is Night Rail. Since we are said to be moving towards a 24/7 society, it seems to be strange that there are less overnight trains than there were 30/40 years ago. Night Rail aims to provide service between major cities at times of the day when the normal franchised operator does not run. And for journeys which are not long enough to justify a sleeper service.

Route(s)
London Euston
(Watford pu)
Milton Keynes Central
Northampton
Rugby
Coventry
Birmingham International
Birmingham New Street
Wolverhampton
Stafford
then either or
Crewe Stoke-on-Trent
Liverpool South Parkway Stockport
Liverpool Lime Street Manchester Piccadilly

Core Route hourly - Manchester and Liverpool served every other hour
Departures Southbound 11pm to 4am
Northbound 11pm to 4am

Stock : loco hauled (class 86, 87, 90 whatever hasn’t been flogged off) plus 5 or 6 refurbished MK3 coaches. In contrast to normal practice all coaches will be quiet coaches (no announcements except emergencies), with the exception of a “Party Coach” where anything will be allowed (within reason).

Ticketing : special fares will apply, available only in advance (internet/TVM) or on the train, these tickets only valid on Night Rail, but not restricted to a particular train. Additionally, passengers holding tickets that would otherwise be valid for the rotue (i.e. missed last train home) will be able to purchase “upgrades” for £5-15 (depending on length of journey)

Target Markets : As well as the obvious overnight travellers, the service targets passengers who need to get to airports at ridiculously early hours. It serves Birmingham Airport directly, Liverpool JL via 24 hr bus connection (already exists), Manchester via TPE 24 hour service, and Heathrow and Luton via express coaches to/from Watford (provided by local Phoenix bus company Colne Valley !)

Future Plans: If this first service is succesfull then plans to develop similar ones on other main lines from London e.g. Paddington - Swansea/Exeter, St Pancras - Nottingham / Sheffield

Last edited:

NSE

Established Member
When travelling from Southend Central to Fenchurch Street, it struck me that there arn't many places to cross the Thames downstream.
So my proposal is a little bit different, but involves the construction of a tunnel from Sheerness to Southend with with stations at Southend Central and Victoria underground before joining the Liverpool St line at Rochford, then breaking of at Rayleigh and then joining the GEML towards Chelmsford just south of said town.
Expensive and outside the box but I was determined to think of something different and still kind of sensible.
I envisage an hourly shuttle between Faversham and Chelmsford. With four or five trains per weekday each way between Dover and Norwich. On weekends three each way.

Calling points would be thus-

Faversham-Chelmsford
Sittingbourne
Kemsley
Swale
Queenborough
Sheerness on Sea
Southend Central
Southend Victoria
Rochford
Hockley
Rayleigh
Chelmsford

Dover-Norwich
Ramsgate
Margate
Faversham
Sittingbourne
Sheerness on Sea
Southend Central
Southend Victoria
Chelmsford
Colchester
Ipswich
Stowmarket
Norwich

For stock I propose dual voltage trains similar to maybe a three car 377 for the shuttle. The Longer service I envisage a 444 style train. I think the switch over point can be at Southend Victoria underground, however both types of electrification will exist between Central and Victoria incase of failure.
If this service proves successful then splitting services to Cambridge/Peterborough could be made.

I know its different but I think its quite a good idea :)

martinsh

Established Member
When travelling from Southend Central to Fenchurch Street, it struck me that there arn't many places to cross the Thames downstream.
So my proposal is a little bit different, but involves the construction of a tunnel from Sheerness to Southend with with stations at Southend Central and Victoria underground before joining the Liverpool St line at Rochford, then breaking of at Rayleigh and then joining the GEML towards Chelmsford just south of said town.
Expensive and outside the box but I was determined to think of something different and still kind of sensible.
I envisage an hourly shuttle between Faversham and Chelmsford. With four or five trains per weekday each way between Dover and Norwich. On weekends three each way.

Calling points would be thus-

Faversham-Chelmsford
Sittingbourne
Kemsley
Swale
Queenborough
Sheerness on Sea
Southend Central
Southend Victoria
Rochford
Hockley
Rayleigh
Chelmsford

Dover-Norwich
Ramsgate
Margate
Faversham
Sittingbourne
Sheerness on Sea
Southend Central
Southend Victoria
Chelmsford
Colchester
Ipswich
Stowmarket
Norwich

For stock I propose dual voltage trains similar to maybe a three car 377 for the shuttle. The Longer service I envisage a 444 style train. I think the switch over point can be at Southend Victoria underground, however both types of electrification will exist between Central and Victoria incase of failure.
If this service proves successful then splitting services to Cambridge/Peterborough could be made.

I know its different but I think its quite a good idea :)

Well that's an interesting one !

I think a cut-off between Billericay and Ingatestone would be more practical than Rayleigh - Chelmsford. Also, don't forget the new Southend airport station !

NSE

Established Member
Well that's an interesting one !

I think a cut-off between Billericay and Ingatestone would be more practical than Rayleigh - Chelmsford. Also, don't forget the new Southend airport station !

In that case I would amend the shuttle to call at Billericay and Ingatestone on the wat to Chelmsford. As well as the airport, I forgot that :P The fast service will continue with the same calling pattern + airport.

I thought this service was quite good, as it doesn't really take the routes from anyone elses patch, and also manages to avoid the possibility of the open access having its own stations to operate.

deltic1989

Established Member
OK; let's see. Some basic maths here.

There are roughly 9,000 members on this forum. Of these, approximately 1-in-5 has been active in the last month, and 1-in-15 in the last 24 hours. Allowing for those who post only rarely, or even never, or have only come along briefly for fares help, I feel it would be reasonable to assume that have of those active today are at least semi-regular, and then the same number again have been in the last month but not today. That would work out at roughly 600 "senior" and/or "regular" members. Now, if we allocated a budget equivalent to that invested by Grand Central for their two routes, using the data provided by the same company, we end up requiring £40m. Were 600 people to work together to make £40m, each would have to put forward approximately £7,000. If we were to then overlook salaries, because everyone would be working out of their love of trains and travel and only at times that suit them (if we had four crews of five per day each person in that 600 would need to work on the front line for just one day a month and then probably a second day for administration purposes), that figure would drop lower still (probably by a full £1,000). By overlooking salaries we would also be looking at greater profits, because obviously our outgoings would be lower. And lastly, before I get on to the more serious stuff, consider this: It's free mileage!

So anyway, of each of those 600 people (remember it is an estimate) provided anything reasonable the can, ideally the full £7,000 but not necessarily that much, and then tried to source help from others who they know might be interested (so in my case I could ask my brother [who still has just seven posts :lol:] and my father), it wouldn't be all that hard. Then we would have to plan the best route possible from three different perspectives, which are (a) demand, (b) profit and (c) competition, and get to planning things such as stock and timetables.

To give an example, I will now discuss the Liverpool to Bristol via Shrewsbury idea. I personally would prefer to use 170s because of their faster loading capabilities (and DDA compliance), but ultimately they cost roughly 1.2p more per mile for access costs at 7.29p per mile [taken from 09-10 statistics].

• Liverpool Lime Street
  • Liverpool South Parkway
  • Runcorn
  • Crewe
  • Shrewsbury
  • Ludlow
  • Hereford
  • Cwmbran
  • Severn Tunnel Junction
  • Bristol Temple Meads

Now obviously ATW wouldn't be best pleased about this route, but who cares? (LM wouldn't be overly impressed either.) I believe that this route would take about 3h20, so four units would suffice on a two-hourly frequency.

The route is 191mi long, which at 6.07p per mile for a 158 motor vehicle (i.e. 12.14p per unit) works out at approximately £23 access charges per journey. Assume each unit makes two runs each way, and this becomes £368 access charge per day. Then we come to fuel, which assuming 2mpg works out at 95 gallons of fuel (ouch!), which [using the costs discussed here] would cost about £305 worth of fuel per journey; a total of 16 journeys results in a daily fuel cost of just under £5,000, which in practice sounds a lot but also makes the access charges sound irrelevant. On an annual basis, these two core outgoings would total somewhere in the region of £1.8m, which I think we can safely say would be covered by revenue (at an average of £30 per passenger journey, this would require 60,000 passengers per year, 165 per day, or just ten or eleven per journey).

Someone else can do the administrative costs; I'm not so clued up on those.

But essentially I honestly think that this scheme could well work. If enough of us could scrape funds together, and then allocate different roles to different people (to give a very vague example using just five people, I could prepare timetables, mumrar could be a conductor, TDK could drive, Mojo could be in the office, and Greenback could set up a ticket office at Bristol), we could then take this forward to the ORR.

OK, fantasy over; I want some *serious* feedback. On this analysis, it really does look viable. And given there are far more of us than there are at the likes of Renaissance Trains, it would be easier to manage and finance. And if someone got bored or fell out with the others, it wouldn't be a huge loss!

You know what that's a flipping brilliant idea!!!!! Who better to run a TOC than enthusiasts??? I love it!!!! 7k is a little out of my price range at the moment though otherwise if it did go ahead I would be first in the queue to hand over the cash and take a punt. The numbers seem to work (from my limited knowledge of operating costs and GCSE Applied Business), and if you could get the 600 investers it could turn out to be a worthwile investment. Just a final thought if we all got together and raised say 1/2 or 3/4 of the capital needed, do you think the Dragons would go for it?

LE Greys

Established Member
Night Rail
The second Open Access company in the Phoenix Transport Group is Night Rail. Since we are said to be moving towards a 24/7 society, it seems to be strange that there are less overnight trains than there were 30/40 years ago. Night Rail aims to provide service between major cities at times of the day when the normal franchised operator does not run. And for journeys which are not long enough to justify a sleeper service.

Route(s)
London Euston
(Watford pu)
Milton Keynes Central
Northampton
Rugby
Coventry
Birmingham International
Birmingham New Street
Wolverhampton
Stafford
then either or
Crewe Stoke-on-Trent
Liverpool South Parkway Stockport
Liverpool Lime Street Manchester Piccadilly

Core Route hourly - Manchester and Liverpool served every other hour
Departures Southbound 11pm to 4am
Northbound 11pm to 4am

Sounds like a good idea. I can see that happening on London-Sheffield, London-Leeds and London-Newcastle as well.

Stock : loco hauled (class 86, 87, 90 whatever hasn’t been flogged off) plus 5 or 6 refurbished MK3 coaches. In contrast to normal practice all coaches will be quiet coaches (no announcements except emergencies), with the exception of a “Party Coach” where anything will be allowed (within reason).

That's going to be fun on the up train from Newcastle on a Friday night. :D

Ticketing : special fares will apply, available only in advance (internet/TVM) or on the train, these tickets only valid on Night Rail, but not restricted to a particular train. Additionally, passengers holding tickets that would otherwise be valid for the rotue (i.e. missed last train home) will be able to purchase “upgrades” for £5-15 (depending on length of journey)

Target Markets : As well as the obvious overnight travellers, the service targets passengers who need to get to airports at ridiculously early hours. It serves Birmingham Airport directly, Liverpool JL via 24 hr bus connection (already exists), Manchester via TPE 24 hour service, and Heathrow and Luton via express coaches to/from Watford (provided by local Phoenix bus company Colne Valley !)

A Sheffield service might connect directly to Luton, and to Gatwick via Thameslink. Connections from King's Cross will be more difficult, although a stop at Potter's Bar would be good for coaches on the M25.

Future Plans: If this first service is succesfull then plans to develop similar ones on other main lines from London e.g. Paddington - Swansea/Exeter, St Pancras - Nottingham / Sheffield

See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.