• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fantasy: you can modify any train design or livery in any way you would like.

Which part of a train would you like to change most?

• Livery

• Engine/Transmission

• Vehicles (Length, Design)

• Interior Layout (Seating, Toilets, Buffet/Shop)

• Formation/Multiple Working Ability

• Coupling Mechanism

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Get rid of the Mk3 seating on Chilterns silver sets and replace them with the seats they use on the 168s. As a chap of a larger radius, the 168s have better seats than the mk3s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatvoyager

Established Member
I would suggest that all PIS should have proper screens rather than dot matrices nowadays. Also the speakers should be of adequate quality to actually hear the announcements.
I agree, dot matrix can be a little erratic, particularly when some of the LEDs don't work, and announcements could definitely do with an improvement.

Doomotron

I quite like dot matrix displays because they aren't affected very much by sun glare and they have very high contrast compared to screens.

Compartments would be nice, though most of the Mk1 SKs were 3 seats wide, matching SOs rather then a 2+2 TSOs. Still, a 4-seat SK as on the southern EMUs would be good, and wouldn't take much space compared to seating bays.

… a Leader with the significant issues fixed.

Isn't that called Merddyn Emrys? Adding Porta's enchantements to a normal double Fairlie would produce a sane version of a Leader, though with electronic control you could easily make it cab-forward if you wanted.

I personally don't like how our railways have gone away from the speed and luxury of an IC125 to a bus service operated by IET's, Voyagers, Pendos etc.

Quite a few people I know who lived along the eastern GWML weren't happy about the HSTs because they reduced the number of seats by reducing 10-12 Mk1 or 2 coaches to 8 Mk 3s.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Make a 744 and order nothing else ever again for operations 100mph or slower.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
please will someone show us an Intercity 225 in Transport for Wales livery? (ideally with an all red front)

I particularly want to see how the Mark 4s would look in the all-white with red doors and smart black window bands. :)

KevinTurvey

I know its been said many times before - I would make the Pendolino windows bigger. I thing this would massively improve the feel of the train.

All CAF rolling stock I would re-bogie with salvaged bogies from withdrawn BREL designed stock.

greatvoyager

Established Member
I know its been said many times before - I would make the Pendolino windows bigger. I thing this would massively improve the feel of the train.

All CAF rolling stock I would re-bogie with salvaged bogies from withdrawn BREL designed stock.
I get the bigger windows for Pendolinos, that would be a good call if it had been possible.

I'm intrigued, what is it about the CAF bogies that makes you want to change them, is it about the look or comfort, or something else?

Peter C

Established Member
If I was given the opportunity, I'd change GWR's 802020 "Thank you NHS" livery. It just doesn't look right to me - a bit too cluttered with all of those speech bubbles. Maybe something like their 800306, with names of key workers or messages to key workers from friends/family written alongside (messages could have been chosen from answers to a competition or similar). The blue lines could maybe be removed and changed to be NHS logos or rainbows at the ends of the unit cars, like 800306's poppies.

Just a thought :D

-Peter

greatvoyager

Established Member
If I was given the opportunity, I'd change GWR's 802020 "Thank you NHS" livery. It just doesn't look right to me - a bit too cluttered with all of those speech bubbles. Maybe something like their 800306, with names of key workers or messages to key workers from friends/family written alongside (messages could have been chosen from answers to a competition or similar). The blue lines could maybe be removed and changed to be NHS logos or rainbows at the ends of the unit cars, like 800306's poppies.

Just a thought :D

-Peter
That sounds like such a nice idea, and they could probably apply it to more than one unit too.

Peter C

Established Member
That sounds like such a nice idea, and they could probably apply it to more than one unit too.
I might have a go at making something for it on the computer. Having multiple units with that design could be nice - I hadn't thought of that.

-Peter

Trainician

I would lengthening all high speed electric trains to 12 car and have them more streamlined for faster speed and add dual voltage capability with a red and purple livery to represent the speed, power and luxury of the trains

Energy

Established Member
I would lengthening all high speed electric trains to 12 car and have them more streamlined for faster speed and add dual voltage capability with a red and purple livery to represent the speed, power and luxury of the trains
Why dual voltage? For example Pendolinos only run on the WCML and not in third rail areas. 12 cars are only currently 12 car 20m EMUs while high speed trains are 23-24m, 11 x 23m = 253m (this is an 11 car pendolino) while 12 x 20m = 240m.

Trainician

Why dual voltage? For example Pendolinos only run on the WCML and not in third rail areas. 12 cars are only currently 12 car 20m EMUs while high speed trains are 23-24m, 11 x 23m = 253m (this is an 11 car pendolino) while 12 x 20m = 240m.
Well to reduce overcrowding and dual voltage capability for southern running just like the Class 395

py_megapixel

Established Member
Well to reduce overcrowding and dual voltage capability for southern running just like the Class 395
For the most part, third rail is south of London, and OHLE is north of London. Therefore, third rail routes are completely useless as alternatives for long-distance OHLE routes and vice-versa. The only exception I can think of is Great Western and South Western who's routes overlap quite a bit but which have different electrification systems. But that's nowhere near enough to justify having every intercity train dual-voltage.

The only reason that the 395s are dual-voltage is because they serve HS1. If they were just using the conventional lines then they would be third rail only.

Energy

Established Member
You would have to lengthen most platforms (ASDO is not preferable especially when it would be getting used at most stations), if more seats on high speed services are needed then the best solution will be increasing frequency or building HS2, preferably both.

There is no point fitting dual voltage capability to all the units especially ones like the pendolino which is unlikely to ever leave the WCML and its surrounding bits and go onto third rail areas. Instead you fit third rail to the units which will use it and don't bother fitting it to the other trains, you can fairly easily retrofit it to most EMUs.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Instead you fit third rail to the units which will use it and don't bother fitting it to the other trains, you can fairly easily retrofit it to most EMUs.
In fact I believe most if not all OHLE EMUs built within the last few decades actually have space left for a contact shoe to be fitted, and vice-versa, and I think some units such as the 707s were tested for pantograph operation before delivery despite only running in third rail areas.

The equipment to move the train is the same regardless of the collection method. All that's needed is the appropriate transformers, and of course the pantograph or shoe itself.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Personally, I'd like to see the EMR outgoing livery become the standard one. I think it looks better and easier on the eye.

greatvoyager

Established Member
In fact I believe most if not all OHLE EMUs built within the last few decades actually have space left for a contact shoe to be fitted, and vice-versa, and I think some units such as the 707s were tested for pantograph operation before delivery despite only running in third rail areas.

The equipment to move the train is the same regardless of the collection method. All that's needed is the appropriate transformers, and of course the pantograph or shoe itself.
That was my understanding too.

LUYMun

Also talking about the Class 424, I wonder what a full unit would look like?
I doubt the Class 424 would go beyond a full-car prototype. It probably follows suit with the other BR prototypes and retires after a few years. I imagine an Electrostar body with Mk1 running gear would quickly become unfavourable both from a reliability and a ride quality standpoint by the late 2000s when compared to the units used by neighbouring TOCs. After all, we now know what happened the last time a stopgap with a 15-year life expectancy was introduced (the name starting with P).

Anonymous10

Established Member
I know slightly off topic as it's a whole toc fleet but I'd retain class 175 and 158 and refurb them replace all other 15x units with 197 units on regional services and acquire 5 car iet for north south service as opposed to loco hauled (only adds one extra carriage so perfectly fillable) then try and order a shorter version of the iet in a 3 car design for other intercity opetations. Can you guess what operator I'm alluding to

greatvoyager

Established Member
I know slightly off topic as it's a whole toc fleet but I'd retain class 175 and 158 and refurb them replace all other 15x units with 197 units on regional services and acquire 5 car iet for north south service as opposed to loco hauled (only adds one extra carriage so perfectly fillable) then try and order a shorter version of the iet in a 3 car design for other intercity opetations. Can you guess what operator I'm alluding to
That sounds good in principle, but I would rather something other than an IET.

I’d create a bi-mode version of a 385.

Status
Not open for further replies.