• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Far north and kyle line closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Far north 37

Established Member
Line closed due to landslide two miles north of inverness.
Scotrail tweeting services suspended till the end of today.
Although that would be the earliest estimate i would imagine.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gonzoiku

North of north..... Now that must be beyond Far north, no?

But south of Dingwall, maybe?

GZ

Martin66

National Rail enquiries says:
A landslip near Inverness means that trains are unable to run between Inverness and Dingwall until at least the end of the day.
Customer Advice:
Staff are on site and continue working to repair the damaged track.
It is not yet known how services will be affected tomorrow, as a daylight inspection of the track will need to be done in the morning; however, arrangements are being made for alternative transport for tomorrows services as a precaution.

See map: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/maps/Inverness2111.pdf

tsr

Established Member
Quick question...

Are there local procedures on the railway in northern Scotland to deal with situations in winter where daylight hours are short enough that waiting for daylight inspection could seriously disrupt services, or indeed the speed of assessment and repairs?

For example, are there extra lighting resources available, different training, etc?

It strikes me that although safety is obviously paramount (especially with something potentially very hazardous like a landslide), regional travel might be quite badly impacted if you were to rely on daylight inspections of incidents in the winter months.

Where I'm based in southern England, various storms have resulted in inspections needing to take place before lines have reopened, and there have been times when trains may have only started inspecting the line a little while after dawn. In turn, this has resulted in basically a catastrophic blow to any hope of running a morning peak service.

Now, reduce the daylight availability by another chunk, and you're surely into the territory of not being able to do a whole lot once you've inspected and assessed in daylight.

mikey9

I was on the 17:12 out of Inverness last night 0- the last unnaffected train I believe). A huge amount of rain came down here yesterday - pretty much all day.

At the closure point near Bunchrew there was a bump that felt a we were going into freefall momentarily - but it then settled itself and we carried on with no obvious issue. I did have thoughts that something was amiss and looked for something to hold onto but as no obvious brake application or slowing let is slip my mind.........until.....message from friend on the following 17:56 (I think) which "hit a small landslide/slip" and had a damaged leading unit - and couldn't reverse (due to the slip I guess).

Will be interesting to see what the damage is - IIRC it would be on the embankmented section (it was dark) and would have been particularly nasty if either train had come off there - we certainly weren't hanging about.

Tracked

Established Member
Cleared earlier, but now National Rail are tweeting:

Trains between #Inverness and Kyle of Lochalsh cannot run due to a road vehicle colliding with a bridge between Achnasheen and Achnashellach

:|

Far north 37

Established Member
IMG_0775.JPG Far north line closed again tonight last north bound service cancelled at helmsdale due to flood damage to track at forsinard.

Last edited:

cf111

Established Member
I was on the last train through the area (0802 Wick-Inverness) and noticed nothing amiss but I don't suppose the driver was going to miss seeing that big hole in the embankment.

Far north 37

Established Member
I was on the last train through the area (0802 Wick-Inverness) and noticed nothing amiss but I don't suppose the driver was going to miss seeing that big hole in the embankment.
I would imagine its not too fast through that section so doubt passengers would of noticed it as you say it would most likely be the driver that has spotted it.

cf111

Established Member
I would imagine its not too fast through that section so doubt passengers would of noticed it as you say it would most likely be the driver that has spotted it.
My understanding is that it's the section between Forsinard and Altnabreac which is actually quite a fast section of track (for the FNL!), I think the linespeed for multiple-units there is 70-75 MPH but that is me relying on my memory of going past the lineside boards too many times from a passenger seat.

As you've noticed it is nice new continually welded rail, the 158s glide across it.

najaB

Veteran Member
That looks like most of the embankment is sand!
That's not surprising. No reason why that wouldn't be stable given a big/heavy enough outer armour layer. It's better to be sand (which allows drainage) rather than a clay dam. The problem here appears to be undermining, rather than a problem with the embankment itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.