• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fares check rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0b

Established Member
*MODS PLEASE MOVE TO FARES/TICKETING FORUM*

If you have a routeing point with multiple member stations, can you basically choose the station which is most advantageous (if any) to pass the fare check rule?

eg. consider the Streatham Group:

streatham group : [Station: STREATHAM HILL, Station: THORNTON HEATH, Station: NORBURY, Station: SELHURST, Station: STREATHAM, Station: STREATHAM COMMON]

do you fares check against each station in the group and if you find any of the tickets to any of the stations pass the fares check, does that makes it an appropriate routeing point?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
Without reading the guide again to check I think the answer is yes you can and no you don't.

can someone could confirm or correct me?

tony_mac

Established Member
as far as I remember, there is no guidance to using the fares check rule.
I would say that's a reasonable interpretation.

OwlMan

Established Member
As Tony says there is no specific mention of Groups under the fare check rule. However if one of the members of the group passes the fare check rule I would say that the group passes the fares rule.

Peter

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This might be a red herring, but because you only use the fare check rule when the two stations do not share a common routeing point, you will likely be travelling a reasonable distance if you do invoke the rule. In this case it's likely that the fares to a group of adjacent stations may well be the same, or at least very similar.

b0b

Established Member
It is a possible red-herring to be sure, but I just wondered whether any or all stations in a group need to pass for a routeing point to be appropriate.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
you will likely be travelling a reasonable distance if you do invoke the rule. In this case it's likely that the fares to a group of adjacent stations may well be the same, or at least very similar.
Although Stansted Airport and Stansted Mountfitchet would be a good example of two stations in the same routing group where there can be quite a big difference between the fares, even from quite far away.

John @ home

Established Member
do you fares check against each station in the group
If necessary.
and if you find any of the tickets to any of the stations pass the fares check, does that makes it an appropriate routeing point?
We discussed this last year in the context of a Stockton - Darlington journey. I think we concluded that only one member of a Group need pass the fares check for the Group to pass.

The alternative view, that there is no Permitted Route between Stockton and Darlington, might cause George Stephenson to turn in his grave!

b0b

Established Member
Although Stansted Airport and Stansted Mountfitchet would be a good example of two stations in the same routing group where there can be quite a big difference between the fares, even from quite far away.

That turned out to be a good test case for my code; testing Selhurst (Streatham Group) to Elsenham (Stansted Group)

from my code:
Check that the Station: SELHURST to Station: Elsenham Essex fare is not less than the fare from Routeing Point: STREATHAM GROUP[Station: STREATHAM HILL, Station: THORNTON HEATH, Station: NORBURY, Station: SELHURST, Station: STREATHAM, Station: STREATHAM COMMON] to Station: Elsenham Essex

Check that the Station: SELHURST to Station: Elsenham Essex fare is not less than the fare from Station: SELHURST to Routeing Point: STANSTED GROUP[Station: STANSTED AIRPORT, Station: STANSTD MFITCHET]

Selhurst to Elsenham SDS: 19.50
Selhurst to Stansted Airport: (SOS), SDS not offered, 23.40
Selhurst to STANSTD MFITCHET: 19.50

tony_mac

Established Member
there is also no guidance on what to do when there are no comparable fares, which happens quite often.

I don't see why a SOS and a SDS should be treated differently, when they are really the same thing, but that's what the guide says!

Status
Not open for further replies.