• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fares data workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Would anyone here be interested in attending fares workshop from a data point of view?

For example if there is anyone here who is exploring the fares data already.

This would be aimed at people who are familiar with computer programming.

We can look at the electronic routeing guide data and/or the electronic fares data.

If you are interested, please reply below indicating roughly where you could get to (e.g. London, Birmingham etc) and also if you had any preferences regarding when it was held (such as weekdays or weekends).

I am thinking we could hold this event in January or early February.

These events can also be a way into developing a career working for suppliers to the rail industry, particularly to younger people or those looking for a change in career.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kilopylae

This would be interesting, though my programming is only at a 'can make Java compile the code I borrowed from Stack Exchange if I swear at it lots' level, so I'm happy to give it a miss if I would be holding the session up.

After the 9th, London, Birmingham, Bristol would all be doable, London the most convenient.

miklcct

On Moderation
I'll be interested, with preferred location in London or Bristol. I am a PHP developer working in a transport company.

Nunners

Would anyone here be interested in attending fares workshop from a data point of view?

For example if there is anyone here who is exploring the fares data already.

This would be aimed at people who are familiar with computer programming.

We can look at the electronic routeing guide data and/or the electronic fares data.

If you are interested, please reply below indicating roughly where you could get to (e.g. London, Birmingham etc) and also if you had any preferences regarding when it was held (such as weekdays or weekends).

I am thinking we could hold this event in January or early February.

These events can also be a way into developing a career working for suppliers to the rail industry, particularly to younger people or those looking for a change in career.
I'd be interested in this as long as it's in February.

I can write Java programs to interact with BRFares and RTT but it would be interesting to see how I can take it further.

Anywhere Birmingham or south of would be fine for me

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Would there be any interest if we run another fares data workshop in the next month or so?

Locations that could work well include Manchester, Crewe, Stafford, Birmingham, London or Reading.

Anyone who has experience of software development who is looking to get into the fares data either for personal reasons or if you may be interested in employment opportunities, this could be useful for you.

I know of employers who are keen to recruit and are looking for the right people; fares workshops (especially fares data ones) have been a good source of recruiting the right person on numberous occasions. That's not to say the workshops are run for this purpose per se but it can lead to such opportunities.

They are completely free to attend and we can be flexible on the venue, dates and times to suit those who wish to join us.

realemil

Locations that could work well include Manchester, Crewe, Stafford, Birmingham, London or Reading.
Id be quite interested in this. All those locations would work for me apart from Reading. Birmingham would be the best for me, but I’d be fine for anything

edit:
I code in python & done a fair bit of work with BRFares & RTT. Wanting to get more in-depth to mess around with some stuff.

najaB

Veteran Member
Interested, what dates were you looking at? I'm going to be down Birmingham way for a family event on July 30th, so could do a day either side of that.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Would there be any interest if we run another fares data workshop in the next month or so?

In the (admittedly unlikely) event that a Manchester workshop falls on a date that I can make then I'd be interested.

4COR

I would be interested if it falls away from holiday - Oxford/Reading/London/Birm would all work.

Do you have to have attended a "normal" fares workshop first? I'm mainly a software tester, but do code in python.

miklcct

On Moderation
I'm interested if it is before 15 July (I'll be out of country to join a world championship afterwards for about half a month), in the London commuting area.

realemil

My availability is quite open. I can’t do any Tuesday or Friday 15th July. Most other days I’m available, up until the end of September, so whatever suits others!

rownd

I'd also be interested in this. Northern or Midland venues are preferred, but I could get South if the dates fall right.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Great. Firstly. looking at weekends, I can do:
  • 9th/10th July
  • 31st July I might be able to do but it depends on the event I'm at on 30th; details aren't yet confirmed, but I probably can't do that date.
  • 27th/28th August (if I am not away; plans not yet made for that week)
  • 3rd/4th Septembet (again, if I am not away)
  • 10th/11th September
  • 17th/18th September (preference for London if this weekend)
For weekdays I can do:
  • 15th july - probably not but maybe depending on an event I am awaiting confirmation on
  • 22nd July - probably
  • 25th July - possibly but I may need to get to Yarm; Manchester could work
  • 1st August - probably
  • 19th August - yes
  • w/c 22nd August - most days as things stand, but plans not yet finalised
  • w/c 29th August - ditto
  • 16th September - yes
  • 23rd September - yes
I'll need to check availability with the person who will be leading on this; you will certainly have heard of them as they created a well known website which they have since sold on ;)

Saturdays and Sundays are possible for me, but only from late lunchtime (and that depends on how far I need to travel - I live near Ledbury). On weekdays, all of those dates are fine.

Interested, up until the end of July northern areas suit me best, then for august southern areas work more before swapping back to northern areas from mid-september

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
These will take place on:
  • Tuesday 23 August in Manchester
  • Sunday 11 September in Crewe
  • Sunday 18 September in Birmingham
We are pretty much full unless anyone cancels, but if anyone is interested, do get in touch and I will see if we can fit you in.

miklcct

On Moderation
These will take place on:
  • Tuesday 23 August in Manchester
  • Sunday 11 September in Crewe
  • Sunday 18 September in Birmingham
We are pretty much full unless anyone cancels, but if anyone is interested, do get in touch and I will see if we can fit you in.
I'll probably wait until the next one in London and South East (Network Railcard area) then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.